PDA

View Full Version : Trailer

ksland
06-01-2004, 08:45 PM
What length trailer would you recommend for carrying a bobcat which you may have various attachments in the future? I have seen 12, 14, 16, 18 feet are all common.

Randy Scott
06-01-2004, 10:23 PM
We have a 24 foot. We can carry the machine, two buckets, forks, power-rake, and auger with a couple bits (12 in. & 36 in.) That's about it though.

alldredge_2008
06-03-2004, 12:27 AM
We have a 18 ft. but with cat 226 and a post hole digger and bucket its about maxed-out. I would suggest 22ft. or 24 ft. Would this be a gooseneck or bumper-pull. How many attachments. What size you get it will always be to small.

Good Luck!

Scag48
06-03-2004, 02:46 AM
We have a 21 foot (16 foot flat deck with a 5 foot beavertail) gooseneck. With 16 feet, you can do quite a bit. We can haul a trencher, one bucket, harley rake, and our 216. To do this, we side load the bucket at the front of the trailer, this takes up 5 feet of length. Then on the other side, we side load our trencher with the tip of the chain inside the bucket on the other side. Then back the skid steer on with the rake on it with the rake hanging over the beavertail. 8 foot wide trailer obviously, so it's pretty easy to fit everything. I wouldn't go less than 20 feet, though. I suggest gooseneck. Makes a big trailer alot shorter when half of the tonque is over your truck.

Bings
06-10-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm Wondering the same thing. I have a 24' goose neck ordered, My attachments are Gehl Skid Steer, Forks, RockHound, 4n1 bucket, Grapple bucket, and maybe a trencher. Do you guys have any photos of how you have the equipment arranged on the trailer. Also have you made any modifications to the trailer to make hauling/loading/attaching this equipment easier.

Thanks!

alldredge_2008
06-10-2004, 11:13 PM
The other day we tried getting our cat 226 and a kubota tractor (l3000 dt with pulveriver on and was 2 foot short, so we figured that we could put the bucket in the dump truck.

ksss
06-11-2004, 03:00 AM
This trailer thing is more complex than it first appears to be. I have a 31' 24K tandem fifth wheel, a 20' 14K pull behind and a 16' 12K pull behind. The fifth wheel is of course the easiest to pull with a load. Problem is it is a lot of trailer and difficult to park for some jobs. We try to match the trailer to the job. I also have a flat bed one ton. So typically I put the Preparator (like a Rock Hound) on the flat bed and chain it down and put the skid steer with dirt buck on the trailer. The excavator needs the 20' pull behind at a mininum. Having a flat bed pick up is a big help when hauling attachments. My next trailer will be a large bumper pull to put behind a dump truck. I want to be able to carry an excavator and a skid steer behind it. It never seems to end. When looking for a trailer I would take note of several things 1. Spring loaded ramps 2. Heavy duty ramps 3. Brakes on all axles 4. tie downs on the sides not just stake pockets 5. high quality jack (if it is a fifth wheel make sure it has two jacks. 6. Be sure it has angle iron around the deck of the trailer creating a raised "lip" around the deck, probably wont find that on a fifth wheel but more common on the pull behind trailers . 7. TIRES be sure they are 16" at a mininum and of common size. My trailers use the same size tires as my pickups 235 85 16. The short version is buy the very best trailer you can find.