PDA

View Full Version : 99 Ranger Bill???

youngdude
06-02-2004, 12:34 AM
This weekend when i was backing the trailer into the driveway i noticed a big shutter in the car. It happens only when i am turning and when I looked at the tire while doing this the whole thing was shaking. The ball joints were just replaced in the front along with a new tire. It only happens when I am turning and it has only happened in reverse with the trailer on. Any ideas of what it could be and what price I am looking at to fix this?

kc2006
06-02-2004, 12:51 AM
Is it 4x4? 4x4's some time do that, if it is check your u joints.

could also be just the weight of the trailer and the tire gripping the pavement?

Gilla Gorilla
06-02-2004, 01:36 AM
It could be the fluid in your transfere case causing that. The explorers have had a problem with the t case fluid breaking down
over 10k or 15k miles and you will get a shuddering when accelerating from a stop going straight or turning.

It is probably the cheapest thing you can do to start with.

good luck

youngdude
06-02-2004, 02:39 PM
No its not a 4*4 and it has 77,000 miles on it. It a very stong shutter and the trailer is only a 6.5 by 10 and is never overloaded. Any more ideas?

GTLC
06-02-2004, 08:48 PM
I get a strong vibration throughout the body in my Explorer, but not just in reverse. I haven't ever changed the transfer case fluid. My father was teh previous owner and he has never maintained it other than changing the oil once in a while.

xcopterdoc
06-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Could it be the rear differential maybe?? As you are turning and backing up, the inside tire must slow down as the outside tire speeds up. If the differential is locking up, it will try to go straight even though the tires are turned. The shuddering could be the tire being drug straight. Another thought might be the front wheel camber or caster being way out. When the balljoints were replaced, did you have the frontend aligned? Maybe when the wheel is turned all the way one direction, the caster or camber is way off and its sliding the tire. Just food for thought... hard to diagnose a sound or vibration without being there in person to see and hear it.

youngdude
06-03-2004, 03:11 PM
The front end was aligned when the new tire was put on. You can actually see the front tires shake when you turn. Its going into the shop to find out what it is. Keep you posted when i hear something.

GTLC
06-03-2004, 03:34 PM
One thing I remember is if it is in 4wd and you turn too much it jolts and shakes like crazy.

youngdude
06-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Its not 4wd....Ill find out soon

The Dude
06-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Loose wheel bearing maybe. How long ago did you have the ball joints dodne?

gadfreak
06-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Fords with the 4wd engaged jump all over if they have the old twin I beam setup. Finally went the way everyone else did and fixed that with CV joints.

specialtylc
06-11-2004, 12:33 AM
It could be clutch chatter if it is a manual or the differential is going bad.

JPLAWNSERVICE
06-17-2004, 12:59 PM
I would also check the wheel bearings. I have a friend who had a 97 and 98 ranger and both of them had to have the rearend rebuilt and the mechanic said that if he had checked it earlier that it would cost a lot less to repair. I believe the crosspin that holds the spider gears in came loose and then it just locked it up and busted the gears. He wound up finding another rearend at the junkyard to replace it with.