PDA

View Full Version : What type of saw???

Gilla Gorilla
06-02-2004, 12:22 AM
For all you guys that do alot of stone work ie; patios and walkways.

What type of cut off saws are you all using. I did my first flagstone walkway last week and had to rent one for over $100.00 for 4 hours.

It was a Partner 700 active III saw and man was it nice having the rite tool for the job. Especially on this job.

Thanks for the input.

Rex Mann
06-02-2004, 12:42 AM
We run TS 400 by Sthil. They have been like gold
to us.

Peace,

Rex

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

kris
06-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Partner 950's ... use to think i would never change from Sthils but at the time we switched the partners filtration system was superior IMO.

Gilla Gorilla
06-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have not tried the stihl cut off saws yet
but just having used my stihl chain saw so far this season I cant see where I will go wrong if I do buy the stihl over the partner saw.

Have a good season

Mykster
06-03-2004, 05:49 PM
I looked at the Partner and Stihl. Had no idea they were that expensive. Then I settled and bought a diamond blade for my circular saw. It's not as fast as the the big boys, but still does the job quite well. Works great for pavers. On the bigger wall blocks it takes a little longer. If you have the means and the work I would without a doubt get the a Partner or the Stihl.

D Felix
06-06-2004, 10:41 AM
$100 for 4 hours????

Man, I need to get into the rental business where you are.......

Cut-off saws rent for about $50-60 per DAY around here, without blade charges...

At the rate you paid, once you rent it for about 7-8 days, you might as well of bought a brand new one.

Dan

Gilla Gorilla
06-07-2004, 10:04 PM
D Felix,

I was looking at the reciept this morning and the saw was around $50.00 for four hours, the blade was around $35 or $38.00. Insurance which I think is pretty much a must when you rent through Capital Rentals was $10.00 plus tax. All in all it came to $100. and change.

I have only done one patio install so far this year but am working on an estamite for my neighbor and then am doing a flagstone walkway from my deck to my pool. So I figure I might not be able to pay off the $495.00 Partner Active III saw that I just bought used and in great shape this year.

Since I have the saw I can start getting into a little more stone work now and not have to worry about renting it four a couple of hours each time.

But you are right, There is alot of money to be made in the tool rental and heavy equipment rental business.

hosejockey2002
06-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Hey Gilla- Not sure about yours, but my contractor's insurance covers damage to rented equipment. I'd look into it, might save you a few bucks.

D Felix
06-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Diamond blade charges can be a PITA!:)

I think the local rental yard charges about $3 per thousandth which is just unreal. If you are renting a saw somewhat frequently, you'd be better off buying a blade.

Sounds like you got a good deal on a saw though.

Dan

Gilla Gorilla
06-08-2004, 09:30 PM
I found some diamond blades on ebay for $79.00 that are supposidly the same quality as a $200.00 plus dollar blade.

I bought one last night so when it comes in I can let you know how it cuts and how well it lasts.

The saw was delivered today and all packed up tightly in a two ft. by two ft. box. I opened it up tonight and pull all of the paper and cardboard out of the big box, then pull the saw out and to my surprise it felt a little lose on the top handle. I looked down and saw that the bottom handle was broken clean through on the bottom side. The box had a big gash in it also, so I assume that it happened during shipment.

Anyways I emailed the shop that I bought it from and asked them to call my tomorrow to see what I have to do to get it fixed through the shipping insurance with UPS.

Wish me luck with getting this resolved. LOL

alpine692003
06-10-2004, 02:02 AM
What do you guys think is better?
Stihl or shindaiwa cut off saws for pavers?

Randy Scott
06-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Gilla Gorilla
But you are right, There is alot of money to be made in the tool rental and heavy equipment rental business.

Yeah, and they probably think there is a lot of money in mowing or landscape. Just because you think tool rental is expensive, doesn't mean they are getting rich. Can you even begin to imagine how much money they have invested in all the tools they have. You want to talk about expensive equipment amounts. Then factor in all the homeowner morons that rent stuff and just destroy it because they don't know how to use it. I know our rental store guy, he's just an ordinary Joe like you and I. In fact, I think I live better than him. So because you dropped a hundred bucks for the day, don't think they're reaping the harvest.

As far as saws, we have a Dolmar saw. It was just under $800 and seems to be great so far. It's going on two years now and haven't had any problems and handles a 14" diamond blade fine.

Itsgottobegreen
06-14-2004, 08:50 PM
I would recommend the cutter edge concert rescue saw. 14" deep cuts in concrete. A fire dept about 30 miles from us bought one. We have Partner rescue saws on our rescue squad. Nice thing is was have 3 so, if you need to you can borrow one. But your paying for blades. I want one. But I don't think I would never use it.

beransfixitinc
06-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by alpine692003
What do you guys think is better?
Stihl or shindaiwa cut off saws for pavers?

Hmm.. just a little biased towards the Shindaiwa side.. never seen a Stihl one, but a Shinny came in the shop from the distributor for us to have a look at and it looks fairly nice. High mounted air filter and some other designs that keep the important parts out of the way of the work.

Just spend time visiting the respective manufacturers websites and do your homework on em before you buy. Research any past recalls on the products, research price of repair parts should you ever need them, and the location and degree of difficulty of replacement. That should give you a fairly good idea on how much it would cost for a repair should you need it after the warranty.

Gilla Gorilla
06-14-2004, 09:28 PM
The manager at the rental store that I deal with Hooked Me Up.
I called him and told him that I came acrossed the Partner saw at a great deal, but the only problem was that the rear handle was broken when it got to my house. He told me to stop by and he gave me a used handle off of one of their old Partner saws.

That guy hooked me up and the lady that I bought it from was very gracious today also when I told her about the free part that I got. So she said that she would give me some money back through my paypal account

I know that alot of people here dont trust ebay or just some people on ebay, but it has been good for me so far.

By the way that $79.00 diamond blade was used today and It seems to work great so far and not were out to fast either.

Paul Corsetti
06-21-2004, 10:25 PM
we use makita,cuts as good as stihl but less maint on the equipment ,if you are looking for a deal go to home depot and talk to the rental dept. They will sell rental equipment at a big discount, i priced a 950$ makita saw new and used at home depot 350$ and in really good shape,they can tell you how many times it was rented and all the maint history