PDA

View Full Version : setting pavers - manual or compactor

JosephC
06-02-2004, 07:44 AM
We are building a brick patio at our home - approximately 30 ft by 17 ft. I used a plate compactor for first time on the crusher run. Now I am setiing the brick (4x8x2 1/4 pine hall pavers) on the bed. Once this step is completed I will add the sand and then "compact".

I am concerned that the compactor will cause chipping of the pavers because the pavers contact each other in places though I tried to maintain 1/16 - 3/16 gaps. They seem brittle. I thought about using plywood over them but I am working alone and would need like three sheets to keep moving along.

Can I use a piece of 1x3 wood and my rubber mallet to set the pavers instead of the plate compactor? I did this on a smaller patio at my last home and tried it on a small area here and it seems to level them out well (checked with carpenter level).

The patio is for our asual use and will not have high traffic like a driveway etc.

Has this been done before? What are the risks of not using the compactor for the final compaction?

Rex Mann
06-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you have clay pavers. If so, you'll need to get a neoprene pad for the bottom of the compactor. This will minimize the scuffing and chipping. However, clay pavers have a much higher failure during compaction than concrete pavers.

Mechanical compaction is far superior to any hand compaction. Mechanical compaction will help ensure a uniform finished elevation.

One last thing. You compact first, then sweep sand into the joints, then compact a second time and add more sand.

Peace,

Rex

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

JosephC
06-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Thank you for the advice Rex. The supplier told me to use a rubber pad but the place that rents the plate compactor never heard of using one with it and does not supply it. Would the damage to the pavers be from the metal plate or the vibration causing the bricks to rub against one another?

If I read your response correctly the main reason for compacting is a uniform surface. So if I did it by hand I would need to be extra diligent to verify it looks uniform.

Her are the bricks I am using:
Pine Hall Brick
Pathway Full Range and Red
2 1/4" Square Series

Square edge pavers offer the classic brick look at an attractive price. Square edge pavers can be laid in sand or mortar and are made to stand the test of time. All our pavers exceed the most stringent ASTM standards with high strength (10,000psi+) and low water absorption (5-6 %).

http://www.pinehallbrick.com/pages/pathway_fr.htm

link to picture