PDA

View Full Version : What type of mulch, again?

RTallday
06-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Just a quick mulch question here. I am bidding out a landscaping job for one of my customers and he had a termite problem. HAD is the key word here. I was wondering what kind of mulch might be better to use there that would'nt attract them again. Thanks!!

-Rich

Ric
06-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Cypress or eucalyptus is less likely to attract termite. However termites don't usual like mulch of any kind. The import point is keep in below the wood framing of the building so any mud trails can be seen. Anytime wood construction touches ground you are asking for termites.

RTallday
06-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Ric, thanks for the reply. I guess ill just go with good old cypress. The termites have been taken care of, but i just don't want to chance being at all responsible for another infestation.

-Rich

NCSULandscaper
06-03-2004, 01:53 AM
Never had any type of insect problem with any type of mulch.

jajwrigh
06-03-2004, 03:10 AM
Neither have I..........

dvmcmrhp52
06-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Termites don't like mulch of any kind?
Hmmm,I can throw a rock in one of my beds and I will guarantee termites under it at the end of the week.
I'm going to stone because of it.

EagleLandscape
06-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Cedar Mulch repels terimites, correct? I remember i lived in a house that had a ceder closet and the walls leading up to the closet were toasted full of those dang things, but they stayed completely away from the closet. Plus I think Cedar Mulch looks a little better than Cypress Mulch. Just my personal thoughts.

polecat63
06-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Not exactly repel, but close. Termites don't like aromatic woods like cedar and cypress. The also tend to oly infest hardwood if some nice soft pine is not around. Termites will live under mulch because it's wet and warm. Their two favorite things.

GreenMonster
06-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by polecat63
wet and warm. Their two favorite things.

Mine too!:D :p :D :p

prizeprop
06-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by RTallday
Ric, thanks for the reply. I guess ill just go with good old cypress. The termites have been taken care of, but i just don't want to chance being at all responsible for another infestation.

-Rich you could do everything right and the landscaper is always responsible. The painter cleaned his brushes on the lawn-- oh, that damned landscaper he fried our lawn with fert. kid next door broke window- oh, your crew was the only ones here and it wasnt broke before. you guys know what im trying to say, right?