PDA

View Full Version : Arborvita problems?

workaholic
06-02-2004, 09:07 PM
I planted 15 arbs. last july. This year about 6 trees look like winter injury or leaf miner is damageing them. I did shake them to see if any bugs were on them and i did see alot of flea type bugs flying around. but do not see any thing on the leaves. Any help with this please?

lawn_j0ckey
06-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Most likely spider mites, I've had success with Sevin.

neal-wolbertsinc
06-02-2004, 10:51 PM
A $25 hand lens will tell the story without guessing as far as mites are concerned. Check into Floramite and Hexagon for selective mite control. A little spendy, but the best we've found so far. They won't hurt the beneficial mite population and you won't be messing with any other good guys in the garden. If you upset the pest predator balance you will be spraying a lot more than is necessary. I like the thought of giving the predators the job. They work for food, you know. A good pest management program should lead to more monitoring than spraying. Predator mite releases work well if timed right, but it is a bit tricky and takes study monitoring time. Evergreen Growers in Oregon supplies predacious mites bedded on bean leaves. You just place them every so often on the plants and that's it. Evergreen Growers has been very helpful with good information in the past. If you can't find them let me know. Neal

Garden Panzer
06-03-2004, 12:52 AM
Save your dough and spray soap @ 2 oz/gal

neal-wolbertsinc
06-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Is soap selective? Neal

lawnservice
06-03-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by workaholic
...about 6 trees look like winter injury...

if it looks like a duck....and quacks like a duck....its probably a duck??

east coast had a severe winter, arborvitae is one of the plants that took the most beating.

problem with message boards is that we are all just guessing since we cant see the plants

Garden Panzer
06-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Insects breathe via slits in skin....soap clogs them up. They die.:cool: