PDA

View Full Version : 50 year old YEW Removal

lawnyogi
06-02-2004, 10:20 PM
I have a client who would like her row of old yews and a sidewalk removed and replanted with something else.

I have never completely removed yews, only cut and grinded them. I do not have the equipment, I would have to rent it. Maybe I could rent someting that would pull the sidewalk and the yews?

Anybody with experience on this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

KenH
06-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Yews, 'yew'sually have a rather large tap root..

Ric
06-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Skid Steer will do the very nicely, but will also tear up the ground. Articulating Loader are much better about not tearing up the ground if you can rent a smaller one. However the side walk should have a lot of weight so a dump truck should also be looked into. I would not attempt to load Side walk into my Landscape dump.

Might be best to find a dump truck owner with a backhoe and sub the tear out to him or hire him by the hour.

lawnyogi
06-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Yews do have some serious roots. I have removed other shrubs, but yews so far are the worst for me. Normally I wouldn't take this kind of job, but it is a friend and I can also learn from it.

Ice_Gargoylle
06-03-2004, 01:01 AM
i just got done removing some large yews ` 15yrs planted. the capatata's took a good .75 hrs with a large JD skid steer each. these were prolly 15 feet tall and 12" at base so judge accordingly. they were up against a wall so i couldnt quite get around them.

AL Inc
06-03-2004, 11:23 AM
I would use the skid steer with the forks to pop them out. Is the sidewalk concrete? The forks will work well for pulling that up, too.

Lombardi
06-03-2004, 05:30 PM
I just did a job removing about 30 yews that were 30 years old. We used a Cat 247 skidsteer with rubber tracks. Invest in a steel cable about 10' long with chain hooks at each end. It is easy to wrap around the base and the cable tightens up much better than a chain. It took us about 4 hours to complete. Very profitable also.

Ric
06-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Lombardi
I just did a job removing about 30 yews that were 30 years old. We used a Cat 247 skidsteer with rubber tracks. Invest in a steel cable about 10' long with chain hooks at each end. It is easy to wrap around the base and the cable tightens up much better than a chain. It took us about 4 hours to complete. Very profitable also.

Lombardi

Thanks for the tip on a cable instead of a chain. Yes some plants will only fold and the chain must be re-attached. Of course if we are saving the plant, we use a nylon sling. On very tender bark I will wrap it with Burlap and then shrink wrap before the nylon sling.

Now because we do a lot of renovation landscapes we get a lot of reusable plant take outs. Don't throw away all your take outs they can be resold on another job. I actually started my nursery from take outs. Even some of the health but trimmed wrong plants can be used for propagation.

D Felix
06-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Skidsteer is the wrong approach on this, IMHO.

You need a mini-excavator with a thumb attachment. It will lift out sections of sidewalk without problem, as well as dig out the yews.

Yews do have some serious tap roots, enough that a set of forks will really do no good with them. With the mini-ex, you can dig all the way around them, then work on popping them out from the bottom. The thumb lets you pull them out.

Cut the yews down, leaving a 2-3 foot stump, if possible, then start digging.

Dan

AL Inc
06-06-2004, 12:14 PM
I guess it is a matter of what equipment you have. The excavator probably would work better for removing the stumps and walkway, but getting the debris to a truck or dumpster is a different story. I have done many, many of these jobs and I guarantee you I could do that whole job faster with my skid than with an ex.

D Felix
06-06-2004, 12:36 PM
If the truck/trailer can be driven right up the where you are operating, it's faster with a mini-ex. You don't have to move the carriage, just swing around. Not a big deal at all. Not to mention it tears up the yard less that way.

He said he will need to rent whatever he uses, so the first thing I would attempt to find is a mini-ex with a thumb. It can be done without the thumb, but will require more time and a few chains....

For something like that, I'd be looking for a Bobcat 331 or 337. The 337 would make short work of it, but will run more $$ per day and may not be easily found.... If using a skidsteer, an 800 series (or similiar newer version) Bobcat would be best, or around a 260 JD, not too familiar with other brands. At a minimum, a 773 Bobcat, or a 250 John Deere.

The yews will be tough to get out. Don't kid yourself on that fact.

Dan