PDA

View Full Version : JRCO Spreader Question/Problem

mcambrose
06-04-2004, 09:30 AM
I received my new JRCO spreader this week. I am overall very impressed, but I can't seem to get it to spread an even pattern. I have rotated the adjustment fully counterclockwise. The pattern width seems about the same on both sides of the spreader, but it is about 30-50% higher on the right hand side. I am operating at a motor setting of 2.5. Has anyone had similar problems? Does an increased motor speed give a more even pattern? It looked like that might be the case, but it is hard to tell without putting down a tarp and doing a test.

GreenQuest Lawn
06-04-2004, 04:40 PM
The amount of product will also affect the spread pattern. When I run mine with very light amounts (like this application) it will not spread as even.

James Cormier
06-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by mcambrose
I received my new JRCO spreader this week. I am overall very impressed, but I can't seem to get it to spread an even pattern. I have rotated the adjustment fully counterclockwise. The pattern width seems about the same on both sides of the spreader, but it is about 30-50% higher on the right hand side. I am operating at a motor setting of 2.5. Has anyone had similar problems? Does an increased motor speed give a more even pattern? It looked like that might be the case, but it is hard to tell without putting down a tarp and doing a test.

I cant help you cause I never used one, but the only reason I am responding is, you comment about " over all very impressed " but you say you cant get a even pattern, that means youll miss areas, streak lawns and look unprofessional. whats so impressive about a machine that does that?

Northern
07-15-2004, 03:48 AM
Yes, I have had the same problem. I adjusted it all the way, layed down tarps and was running it at about 3.5 on the motor. I still came out heavy on the right side. I have also had a problem with circular stripes. I believe that as I start driving the spreader rocks back and forth a little so as it tips slightly forward it lays down a little extra fertilizer in a semi circle. Unfortunaltely I don't have any answers. I had heard such great things about this spreader but I am now wondering if it was worth it.

mcambrose
07-15-2004, 09:55 AM
I talked to the man at JRCO about the spread pattern and he said you can't just do a spread test sitting still (which I was doing). You need to drive over the tarp at normal speed. Have you ever noticed that the spread on the left is more beside you and the right spread is more out in front of you. I was doing my test sitting still and this was giving me erroneous readings because the spreading on the left was lagging behind. Also, it seems the spinner speed has some effect on the even coverage. I was using too slow of a motor speed, so it gave a less consistent spread. I now use a setting of about 3.5 on the spinner and seems to be working well. I just used it on about 20 lawns the past couple of days and it seems to be doing fine. In response to the question of why I was overall impressed when I was having some trouble with even spread. My first impression is that this is a very quality made unit and that any problems with spreading would be worked out as I learned more how to use the unit and this assumption was true. The factory rep couldn't have been more helpful in answering my questions.