PDA

View Full Version : Which type of grass seed???

meathead1134
06-04-2004, 10:01 AM
I've got to reseed a section of grass for a customer. Seems like Every place I go there are a several different brands of seed and opinions. My question is which brand of seed due you guys like. Every place I go to they all like different brands.

Ken

muddstopper
06-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Grass does have specific growing zones so what works for others might not work for you. Since you are in the great white north, (Ma.) I would suggest a rye, bluegrass and maybe fescue blend. Of course if you want a challenge you could try bermuda or centipede, probably wouldnt like them to much tho.

Turboguy
06-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Hi Meathead!

You asked about "Brands" of seeds. Were you looking for Brand Names, or Blends?

As far as Brands. Lesco is pretty good and there are a lot of Lesco stores near you. Johnathan Green is good and if they don't have a dealer near you they will deliver fright free if you buy a certain amount. Most any brand is going to be good as long as you stay away from getting it at some place like KMart. UHS might be another good source. They have good stuff and a number of outlets in New England.

As far as blends, I will agree with Muddstopper. Something with some Blue Grass, some Rye Grass and some fescue should work fine. Is this a sunny area or a shady area?

NCSULandscaper
06-06-2004, 12:00 AM
fo ryou up in mass, bluegrass fescue mix will be fine. since i am in a transition zone, i use a special blend specifically for this area.

Ice_Gargoylle
06-06-2004, 01:59 AM
go to a turf/chemical supplier, if they are any good they will tell you what blend to use for an area. our supplier changes blends throughout the year to meet the different seasonal weather.

a good all year round blend is 60-40 blue grass/rye mix.

gardenkeeper88
06-06-2004, 10:23 PM
First I would look at the grass thats in the existing lawn and match the type ( blue, fescue, rye), paying attention to the lighting as well, as trees may have grown considerably from when it was first planted. watch the labels real close and make sure ther are no "noxious" weed seeds in it as well as any poa annual seeds in it. Around here some of the local stores carry some blends with 1 or both in it.