PDA

View Full Version : Does Round-Up weaken with age?

gl1200a
06-04-2004, 10:38 PM
A very simple question that has probably been asked many times, but... Does Round-up weaken with age when it is say... 2 - 4 years old.

Thank you all.

Garden Panzer
06-04-2004, 10:43 PM
I've had to agitate RAZOR after sitting in the shed all winter, still worked- just separated.

moneyman
06-05-2004, 06:15 AM
roundup has a 7 years shelf life

Grassmechanic
06-05-2004, 08:56 AM
As long as it hasn't been frozen, it will be ok.

timturf
06-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Once mixed, what is the life?

GroundKprs
06-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by moneyman
roundup has a 7 years shelf life

Would people please quote their references, or are we just trying to wing it? For 20 years in use of glyphosate, I have always been advised not to store it for more than 2 years (opened or unopened).

A Google for "shelf life" +glyphosate seems to confirm that rule. References:

http://gardening.wsu.edu/column/09-24-00.htm

http://outreach.missouri.edu/callaway/jarman-news/Jarman_2000/jarman_2000_nov15.html

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/facts-slides-self/facts/gen-peapp-shelf-life.html

Tim, I would venture the life after mixing will depend on water pH, but have never seen or heard any definite numbers.

heritage
06-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Tim,
I have a spray half life chart from the wilbur-ellis company and roundup is stable at water p.h. between 5.0-6.0. So you should buffer the spray solution.

Pete D.

fixer67
06-08-2004, 12:06 AM
I have some Round Up and you got me wondering about it my self. So I e-mailed the people who make the stuff. If any one wound know it would be them. Here is the e-mail I got back

Thank you for contacting us concerning RoundUp® products. As always, it is our goal to make sure that
our customers are completely satisfied with our products and services.

We appreciate your comments on the information on our RoundUp website. We appreciate getting
feedback on our products and services. We take all comments very seriously, Mr. Henderson, and we
have shared your concerns with our Website Administrator.

Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate has a shelf life of a minimum of eight years. The product may
last beyond the minimum time period though. Many variables in storage conditions can affect the shelf
life of a product, Mr. Henderson. Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate will not be fully effective one
day and ineffective the next; the product will gradually lose its effectiveness over time. Store both
unopened and opened product containers in a cool, dry place and protect them from extremes in
temperature. Freezing temperatures, for example, won't affect the product, but may cause damage to the
container and could result in a chemical spill. Stored correctly, your product will last at least the minimum
number of years and probably longer.

Mr. Henderson, we recommend that you plan ahead, and mix only as much of this product as you will
actually use.

You may store diluted Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate for up to 6 months. After that, the
surfactant, or sticking agent in the RoundUp, breaks down due to impurities in tap water. RoundUp
Ready-to-Use products have a 4-year shelf life because they have an added ingredient to prevent this
breakdown in the surfactant. If you store diluted product after use, be sure to mark the storage container
to note both the contents and the date the product was mixed.

Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know of your concerns. Please do not hesitate to contact us
if we can be of any additional help to you.

Glen Kussow
Consumer Response Representative
The Scotts Company and Subsidiaries
14111 Scottslawn Road
Marysville, OH 43041

Ref # 3038730

tremor
06-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Consumer RoundUp............this website is sinking......?

Garden Panzer
06-08-2004, 01:00 PM
They forgot the 3 D's of pesticide aps....
Dump, Down the drain, & Drive off!
Just kidding, if anything I overpay due to small container purchases....