PDA

View Full Version : Cat Skid Steer troubles

Scag48
06-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Hey guys. We're in a bit of a pickle at the moment. Our near-new Cat 216 is in the shop again. It's been taken away from us 2 times before to get the hydraulic couplers fixed as they had a constant leaking problem. I'm not talking about a little drip, more of a constant stream of fluid. Well, we got the machine back and the couplers work great, NO MORE LEAKS!!! While it was in the shop, our dealer gave us a loaner at no charge, hats off to our dealer. Now the machine is overheating constantly for no reason at all. Checked the fuses to make sure that the radiator fan was working, fuses are fine. I haven't experienced the overheating, but my dad was saying that after running it for a good 30-40 minutes or so that it would start to overheat and the alarm would go off. Coolant level was of proper level and was checked before use. He also said that he wasn't doing much "fast work" it was more idling while the workers were loading the bucket with rocks, then a run to the pile every few minutes. Now I like the machine when it's not breaking down, but this is getting ridiculous. I know that alot of people on here have Cat machines and praise them, but has anyone else had any problems? It bothers me when a machine designed so well with the best features can't even run 2 weeks without having to go back to the shop. I'm starting to believe that we have a lemon machine and we've decided that if it needs to go in again for something else we're going to have to make a decision of some sort with what to do with it. It has 130 hours on it, not much at all. Our dealer has been awesome, I can't fault them at all. They work real hard to make us happy. What I want to know is if anyone else out there has had obscene amounts of problems with their Cat skid steer or if it's just us with a lemon machine. Thanks guys

AL Inc
06-05-2004, 05:34 PM
No problems yet with my 246. It has been great for me so far. Hope your problems are cleared up soon. Mike

grassmanvt
06-05-2004, 11:05 PM
I have rented a 226 with no problems. Maybe just a few bugs to work out of yours. I know it can be frustrating when a new piece breaks down but try to work things out. The only thing more expensive than buying new equipment is trading in new eguipment before it has earned it's keep! Good luck.

Scag48
06-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys. Like I said, our dealer has been awesome. They've given us a loaner (again LOL) and that's important to us. If this machine isn't going to work out for us, there isn't gonna be a trade in, it's gonna be a lemon call, they're gonna give us a new one or it's gonna get ugly. LOL.

alldredge_2008
06-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Nothin much with our 226 but bent the axles pushing dirt with tracks on twice (4,000$) to repair. Had a few problems with dirt in the fuel, but nothin way to drastic.
Good Luck!

AL Inc
06-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Wow, I guess your machine gets some heavy use, alldredge? My machine was delivered with the tracks on, and they stayed on most of the spring. When we took them off a few weeks ago, I was surprised at how heavy they are. I would imagine that using the machine constantly with the tracks on would lead to a lot of premature wear and tear.

alldredge_2008
06-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Ya we do a lot of final grading but, had our local excavating company had the same problem on there 262. But, the only think I dont like about steel tracks is tightening them. We decided that we will get rubber tracks next time around with Cat. Do alot of grading and back-filling and seed-prep. Some subdivisions dont alowe steel tracks on concrete. Al Inc. what model and kind of skid-steer do you have?

AL Inc
06-09-2004, 07:12 PM
I have the Cat 246. I got the machine with the tracks, cab/heat, forks, and standard bucket with teeth. I love it so far.

alldredge_2008
06-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Ya we have 3 tooth buckets 60'', 66'', 78'' bucket cab heat and a set of pallet forks and 3 point attachment. What a machine!

Scag48
06-10-2004, 12:11 AM
We thought about going the track route, getting some for pushing piles etc, but decided it just wasn't worth the wear on the machine. Other than these few problems we love the machine. It's so smooth compared to a Bobcat and the power is unbelievable for a smaller machine that we have. I still encourage everyone I talk to who is in the market for a skid steer to consider Cat, despite our problems. I am very convinced we just got a lemon machine and needs a few bugs worked out of it. I will keep you guys posted as to what the problem was when our dealer gets it gixed.

ksss
06-10-2004, 11:48 AM
They all break no matter what color they are. But bending axles from running tracks is no small matter. That to me sounds like an engineering problem. Last summer I had the opportunity to work with CASE for a week on the next series of Case skid steers. They had two CAT machines and two Bobcats to run as comparision as well as the prototype machines and current production machines. The CAT machines were from a CAT rental fleet. During the week CAT was out several times on a 246 to keep it running. They never were able to make it 100% in the field. They are still relatively new and will bugs to work out. CAT does somethings very well. Serviceability was head and shoulders above the others. Somethings were not done as well. The same was said about all the machines there.

Scag48
06-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Here's the scoop guys. Got a call back from our dealer today. They tested the machine at the shop to make sure that is was doing exactly what we said it was and it was in fact overheating. So they tried the thermostat, that wasn't it, so they replaced the water pump. The water pump may or may not have been the problem, but what they think it could have been was an air bubble in the system causing cavitation in the block. With those 2 things fixed it does not overheat anymore and they should have the machine back up here for us ready to go. I'll keep posted as to how reliability is from here on out. Other than this mishap and hydraulic fittings, the machine has been trouble free. I'm still a strong supporter of Cat machines :D

Tigerotor77W
06-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Kaiser --

What Bobcat models were there and when is Case's next series coming out?

ksss
06-23-2004, 01:55 AM
The Bobcats they had were a S250 and a radial lift 863 size machine (can't remember the model number). The machines I was involved with were the 75XT and 85XT replacement machines. It sounds like they will be hitting the market anytime now. Case is changing to a numeric number system with the next series of machines. There will be no more XT series. The rubber track machine is also close to being released.

Tigerotor77W
06-23-2004, 09:50 AM
That machine would be the S220, which shares the same engine, drive motors, and just about everything else save the lift arms with the S250. That's Bobcat for ya, folks -- use the same frame on all their machines. Would you believe it -- Bobcat has a total of TWO frames for their twelve machines larger than the S130. You'd think they could, say, have three designs, or even four (!) like they did before. *shakes head*

General Grounds
07-17-2004, 09:23 PM
:blob3: SCAG, hang in there i own a 226 and own it for 3 years now and it has been awesome. our dealer is great also they even flew a few of my friends who had purchased cat down to NC to the skid and backhoe factory on there company jet for a day. love the machine and the dealer has been excellent. tony

MowingisMaddness
12-15-2004, 06:53 PM
How is the lemon machine doing???

Scag48
12-16-2004, 12:18 AM
Just fine, actually. Haven't had any problems since June and we ran it hard for about 3 1/2 months after that without a single problem. Gotta love Cat.