PDA

View Full Version : Z-Master problem

cutntrim
05-19-2000, 09:09 PM
Got a technical question for you guys. Our Z-Master 52&quot; Kohler 20hp was stalling this morning every time I would try to engage the PTO. Ran fine otherwise. It was cold and raining this morning (-6C) so I thought at first that maybe the engine needed to warm up. Nope. I let it idle at full throttle for 15 minutes at one house and still the engine killed when I tried to engage the blades. <p>Took it to our service guy and he checked the fuel delivery and the oil (it's got a low oil pressure engine kill switch) and the spark and found no problems. He replaced one of the two 20amp fuses and then miraculously the blades started to engage. Fuse wasn't blown either. <p>So we left and when I got to the next house where I could use the &quot;Z&quot; I tried to engage the blades. The first two times the engine stalled, third time lucky. Didn't use it the rest of the afternoon.<p>Any ideas? It's a new problem to our service guy so he's as perplexed as we are.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

Evan528
05-19-2000, 09:17 PM
are you belts to tight so that its stressing the engine to much to try to turn the belts? are you engaging the blades at full trottle or half?

cutntrim
05-19-2000, 09:26 PM
Evan,<p>Didn't specifically check the belts. Tried engaging full throttle and half-throttle. Also tried half-throttle then push to full at stalling-point. Stalled each time.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

Eric ELM
05-19-2000, 10:27 PM
I don't have an Exmark or an electric clutch, but it sounds like it could be in the seat switch. Clean the contacts to it and try it. If your machine has a seat kill switch, it could be the problem. I'm sure glad I have a hand clutch on my DC's.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

MRPLOW
05-19-2000, 10:34 PM
It was most likely a result of the cold plus belts that are slightly too tight. I bet that once you got it engaged the first time of the day it was much easier after that. My Scag used too have this problem in the cold too.

KeithB
05-19-2000, 10:56 PM
I have a 60&quot; Lazer and have the same problem only on warm days too. I have learned to pull out the choke and then engage the blades and reset the choke. Works for me.

lawrence stone
05-19-2000, 11:24 PM
The problem is with the lean burn carb certified Command V-twin.<p>Engage the blades at full throttle with the choke about one half way open. Then disengage the choke after the blades come up to speed.

parkwest
05-20-2000, 12:15 AM
Had a problem with one of our lazers that sounds similar to yours. The shop finally tracked it down to a loose electrical fitting.<p>Good luck

Eric ELM
05-20-2000, 12:17 AM
It sounds like electrical to me too, that's why I suggested the seat kill switch, if it has one.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

Keith
05-20-2000, 05:50 AM
I wouldn't overlook a safety switch either. My ZTMax had a sudden problem like that and it turned out to be the brake safety switch.

Bill c
05-20-2000, 07:34 PM
I would have to agree with what Lawrence said.We have two toro groundsmasters with the 20 horse kohler and that is the only way the blades will engage when the motor is cold.I had my dealer contact toro and he said it was the new emissions motors.

Mark
05-21-2000, 08:42 PM
I have had the same problem, sometimes they would engage and other times not. My problem was the stater,regulater and capasator, All went down at the same time,put the new parts on and runs great. <p>----------<br>Mark's Mowing Service<br>

Eric ELM
06-03-2000, 03:56 PM
Did you ever find the problem and what was it?<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

bdemir
06-04-2000, 01:00 AM
This happens on my turf tracer and the problem was a loose connection on one of the wires and it would rattle off when the blades sarted to spin and would cause it to stall because of a electrical problem. <br>After tightening the connection it went away. Try going over all your connections and i bet you will solve it. Good luck.

cutntrim
06-07-2000, 10:56 PM
Still don't know for sure what it was, but replacing one of the fuses and engaging the blades on half-choke has worked ever since...strange.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com