PDA

View Full Version : Pesticide License question

Evan528
06-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Quick question I thought maybe someone here could help me with. My current pesticide license expiration date is this september. Unfortunatly because of a last minute snow storm (I do snow removal) I was unable to complete the last day of a 3 day conference this past winter wich would have given me the last 2 the cat 7 credits I require. I have obtained all of my nessesary core credits that are due. My question is this......come September will I have to retake both core and cat 7 tests and get a completly new license? Or can I just take the catagory 7 test and renew my current license? I appreciate your help.

EJK2352
06-06-2004, 04:20 PM
No one is offering any retraining courses between now and September??? Wow 3 days to re-certify, in Ohio we have one day recertification conferences.

Evan528
06-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Nope, Know recertification courses coming up in my area. Most are held during winter months. The conference this winter was 3 days long....each 2 hour session had a certain amount of courses and I needed the third days courses to get the full amount of credits I needed. Very frustrated because now all the hours I have spend at conferences the past 3 years were a waste.....And im just a measly 2 credits short. :angry:

TLS
06-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Evan,

Other than calling them on the phone, I really don't know.

The whole PA licensing thing really is a crock. It still bugs the living $hit out of me that Joe Homeowner can go out and buy the SAME stuff as us, TOTALLY mess up his lawn and the environment, and not need a license.

Thats like saying that you don't need a drivers license, but if your making money with your vehicle, you do. :angry:

Evan528
06-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Here is what I found online.

"What happens if I let my license expire?
If an applicator's certification expires, further use of pesticides that would otherwise be permitted is prohibited. However, the applicator has up to one year to reinstate the license by obtaining the necessary recertification credits and paying the appropriate fees. If the certification has expired longer than a one year period, reexamination is required for recertification."

Good news to me as I really wasnt to happy about having to retake my test.

philk17088
06-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Did you go online and check your cat credits? They sometimes don't add up. Last year ithought I was short and then wound up have enough for 2 years.

Evan528
06-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Yep I did check online. In PA you need a certain amount of credits for in a 3 year period...not annually. Of course I called Lesco on Thursday to see if they would be holding any certification seminars this summer as they ussually do. Turns out they had it this past Monday and for some reason I never got a flyer about it! I am going to finish my credits this winter so my license is renewed for another 3 years. After that I think I am going to just going to let my license expire and retake the test every 3 years. Those seminars are to boring, time consuming and inconviniont....not to mention expensive. Seems kind of silly to sit and listen to Chemlawn employees speak about pesticide considering there poor turf managment practices.......

Grassmechanic
06-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Evan528
Nope, Know recertification courses coming up in my area. Most are held during winter months. The conference this winter was 3 days long....each 2 hour session had a certain amount of courses and I needed the third days courses to get the full amount of credits I needed. Very frustrated because now all the hours I have spend at conferences the past 3 years were a waste.....And im just a measly 2 credits short. :angry: That's the main reason I quit going to those seminars that offer credits. They are never kept track of properly. Why waste several days attending classes to accumulate credits when a couple hours of studying for the test will accomplish the same thing?

Rtom45
06-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Evan528:
We always seem to be in the same bind you find youself in now. In NW PA. there never seem to be enough seminars to keep our staff certified. We do a lot of traveling! Here's info on upcoming seminar you may have missed. PLNA seminars scheduled for September (I know thats close, but close counts). Call (800) 898-3411 for more info. Eastern region is Sept. 14, Central is Sept. 16, and Western is Sept. 23. Hope this helps.
Tom

t.o.p.s.
06-27-2004, 07:51 PM
try jpc enterprise's ceu's online
or ceuweb