PDA

View Full Version : poison ivey

postman
06-06-2004, 04:48 PM
whats the best way to get rid of poison ivey

thanks for the help

MudslinginFX4
06-06-2004, 05:28 PM
LOL, just got back from the hospital. They gave me a creme and some pills to take for 8 days. I got it really bad this weekend.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Couple of years ago I had it so bad I had to get a sot every 2 days for 5 weeks. Im highly alergic to it. If I get withing 10 yards of it I can actually "feel" it if that makes any since. My Dr. told me I had the worst reaction to it he has ever seen. Turned down a yard 3 weeks ago that had lots of it. I have some cream the pharmacy gave me to put on when I might come in contact with it that is supposed to keep it from attacking me but cant remember the name of it, will have to get the name of it, I try to avoid it if possible, bad stuff to me.

Danny

bugspit
06-06-2004, 08:12 PM
See a doctor,

A friend got it and was given a new sample of this foam spray that worked real good. The doc told her that creams aren't as effective unless they dry..hang in there.

robertsturf
06-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Try Ivy Block it will help block the oils from penetrating your skin. Also Technu will clean any area that comes in contact with PO. The problem is sometimes you don't have to come in contact with the plant at all to get the blisters. My doctor gave me a steroid creme to put on my rash and it stopped it in 24hrs!! No Kidding!

fixer67
06-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by hardworking-poorman
Couple of years ago I had it so bad I had to get a sot every 2 days for 5 weeks. Im highly alergic to it. If I get withing 10 yards of it I can actually "feel" it if that makes any since. My Dr. told me I had the worst reaction to it he has ever seen. Turned down a yard 3 weeks ago that had lots of it. I have some cream the pharmacy gave me to put on when I might come in contact with it that is supposed to keep it from attacking me but cant remember the name of it, will have to get the name of it, I try to avoid it if possible, bad stuff to me.

Danny

You got it in your blood stream. I did that once and it came close to killing me. I was 'blind' for a week with my eyes swollen shut.

Shady Brook
06-07-2004, 06:39 AM
If you have poison ivy on you, get Zanfel from your local pharmacy, it works better then any product period!!!!

If you have some in a lawn or on a tree you want to kill, triclopyr works well. It can be had in a variety of products for killing brush. A heavy dose of 24d will do the job as well. Roundup/glyphosate will work as well, but be careful where you go spraying the stuff.

Jay

rkk95
07-20-2004, 06:18 AM
Shady brook
Thank you for writing about Zanfel, I was trying everything that I have ever heard of, and nothing worked until I read your post and decided to give it a try also, 30 seconds after applying it to my self I felt like a new man. If anyone has poison ivy don't waste your money on any other product, it cost me $40 for a one once tube, but had I known what it would do I would pay double that amount.

muddstopper
07-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Poison ivey doesnt bother me. I can rub it on my arms and legs and never get an itch. On thing that has helped my wife when she get on her is to take a bath with clorox in the bath water. She doesnt smell pretty afterwards but it helps keep her from breaking out all over the place. To kill it really fast where it grows use roundup mixed with diesel fuel. It will start turning brown just about over nite.

Green Care
07-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Calmine/Baking Soda wear long sleeves.

D Felix
07-21-2004, 12:03 AM
$40/one ounce tube of Zanfel vs. $10 for Technu that will keep it off of you....

Or as I look at it, a doctor's visit costs $15 co-pay and a the steroid prescription costs $10.........

If you want the Zanfel, someone on the Lawn forum posted a link to some eBay auctions, it was around $20/tube there. A quick search should turn it up.

Dan

LwnmwrMan22
07-21-2004, 10:22 AM
My neighbor (who died when he was 96) used to rub gasoline on it. :eek:

Personally, I'll jump in the shower once I start getting the blisters, scratch the *ell out of them to break all the blisters and get the liquid washed out, then put Calamine lotion on afterwards.

About a day and I'm done.

Used to take oatmeal baths, using the Aveeno stuff, but that never worked.

BSDeality
07-21-2004, 01:51 PM
a guy from school scratches it til they open up and then sprays it with brake cleaner. I'm not that brave though. nor am i that allergic to it.

Fvstringpicker
07-21-2004, 06:21 PM
I agree with Shady Brook, Zanfel works and you get immediate, and in my case, permanent relief from the iching.