PDA

View Full Version : Where and what should i do

Sir mowsalot
06-06-2004, 08:07 PM
I have a lawncare business (solo) and as im growing larger, more and more of my customers are asking whether i do fertilizing. I am to the point that i want to get licensed, but i dont have a clue of this end of the business. I know nothing about fertilizers. When do you put on this fertilizer, when do you put on that fertilizer, what kind of fertilzer to use??? It seems really confusing, and intimidating to me. Is there a site that explains it in simple terms? Something like "fertlizing for dummies"

EJK2352
06-06-2004, 08:41 PM
With your admitted lack of knowledge, maybe it would be best to sub out your fert. to a licensed applicator.

sjj14
06-06-2004, 08:49 PM
first get licensed, its easy and cheap. Then seeing your in Carlisle call PSu and get some infor from their Turf prgram. Also call salesmen and others in the field (golf course supers) etc. and get all the info you can out of them. if your still hesitant after this, maybe subbing it out would be the easiest way to go for you.

MrBarefoot
06-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Sir mowsalot
... Something like "fertlizing for dummies"

There is a "Lawn Care for Dummies" that has a lot of good info on lawn care. It is on my bookshelf, and even though I have 10 years of experience in the lawn fertilizing field, I learned something from this book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764550772/qid=1086575532/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-4766589-5231218?v=glance&s=books

Fertilizer and turf pest control is something that you should have some knowledge about before you start working with it.

Is hiring someone with the skill you lack and working with them for a season or two an option?

Sir mowsalot
06-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Mr barefoot,
Thanks for the book site. I do not have enough customers interested in the fertilizing to hire someone. I think i will sub out the work to someone small, and maybe learn some stuff that way also.

Turf Medic
06-06-2004, 11:17 PM
I would still take time to get licensed, even if you are subbing out, it might come in handy if you have a small job that you can do with a backpack. That plus the fact that as time goes by some of the requirements for getting licensed get harder. It would suck to sub out for a couple of years, then decide that you have enough business to do it yourself, only to find out the requirements have changed and you have to work as an applicator for someone else for 2 years before you can get licensed.