PDA

View Full Version : Can you lower the bed of a trailer?

statman
06-06-2004, 11:00 PM
I got a new mower and the tailgate is quite steep for it. I tried to lengthen the tailgate, but with no success. I heard it is possible to lower the whole trailer with new springs. Can this be done?

Acute Cut
06-07-2004, 12:29 AM
I have heard of people flipping the springs to get a Higher trailer, but not the other way around. I know a few years ago i lowered my trailer buy WAY overstacking it. I am guessing that dont help either. Sorry man.:confused:

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
06-07-2004, 01:06 AM
yes, you need to replace the axel with a drop axel, you can raise or lower your trailer by 4". You could also replace just the spindle posts to the drop ones if you cut the old ones off and weld the new ones on.

Grassmechanic
06-07-2004, 07:48 AM
If the springs are on top of the axle, you may be able to remount them below the axle or you can install a torsion axle.

cantoo
06-07-2004, 09:44 PM
We need a pic before we can guess what you can do. There are many types of axles, it might be cheapest just to change out the axles. This might cause problems with your fenders depending on the style. You might even be able to just go with lower profile tires if you only need a little drop and don't carry much weight. Pictures would help us.

Clark Landscaping
06-08-2004, 06:55 PM
I had the same problem with my trailer I jacked my ZTR up and measured the angle where I had about 2" clearance and then did some math to figure out how long the ramp had to be to get that angle. The calculations called for about a 65 inch ramp so figureing in the hinge joint and the ramp I cut the trailer and beaver tailed it. Works great. I am so glad I did it.

brimar
06-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Can you raise the hitch on your truck?

statman
06-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks, but I thought of that... To get the correct angle on the tailgate, the bed of the trailer would slant back too much to safely carry the mower.

seymour_glass
06-30-2004, 08:09 PM
im curious, exactly how long is the gate?

I'm having the same trouble - only I got a new trailer, not a new mower :). Not only is it difficult to get my mower up, but the deck scrapes the bed. My gate is 4 feet. Now I'm wondering if I screwed up and got the wrong trailer.

Potchkins
07-01-2004, 06:18 AM
four foot gate is fine for a four wheeler
not a mower ... get a bigger gate

barringtonbrothers
07-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Potchkins
four foot gate is fine for a four wheeler
not a mower ... get a bigger gate

I have to agree, putting a taller/longer gate will be much easier than lowering the whole trailer. And I bet it will be cheaper.