PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmissions

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
06-07-2004, 01:21 AM
What is the opinion on pulling trailers with a manual transmission truck? Im going to be buying a truck, but the one im looking at has a stick. Looking for input on this.

Grassmechanic
06-07-2004, 07:50 AM
A manual will hold up far better than an automatic, especially with heavy loads, stop-and-go traffic, etc.

Old Red
06-07-2004, 02:03 PM
The last truck I bought is an automatic, and it will be the last automatic I buy. Part of the problem might be that I need a bigger truck but regardless it's the last auto. The other thing is that I'm probably an old fart who grew up driving standard and still feel more comfortable with a pedal under my left foot.

specialtylc
06-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Manual will work just fine. My pickup that I use for snowplowing had a manual when I bought it. I put in a auto after plowing with a manual for 2 years. I will never buy another stick. Our main mowing truck is an Isuzu NPR diesel with the auto. Its the only way to go for all the stop and go city traffic.

Potchkins
06-08-2004, 01:52 AM
that's all i run in my trucks

PaulJ
06-09-2004, 02:04 AM
My truck is a stick. No problem.

It's a ford f 150. with 6cl and 5-speed.

Somthing interesting I found in the owners manual though. The same truck with same engine and rear end but an auto, had a higher gross combined weight rating.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
06-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Yeah PaulJ, one of the trucks I'm looking at is a 98 F-150 with a six cyl and a 5 speed. I need something that will get good gas mileage, because I will be driving 90 miles(1 way) every weekend to get back home from college to cut on the weekends. What do you get with yours? I will be pulling about 4,000 lbs, think it can handle it?

Thanks to everybody that has given some thoughts.

hosejockey2002
06-10-2004, 10:54 AM
I used to pull around 3,500 pounds with a V6 Explorer with a 5-speed. On the flat it was just fine. Getting started on a hill was murder on the clutch. Your F150 probably doesn't have a "granny" gear like 3/4 and 1 ton trucks do. If you don't have a lot of hills your truck should do well. If you do have a lot of hills you may want to reconsider.

GrassFearsMe
07-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Manual ha lots of luck, i love pulling my trailers with an auto so much ease of operation, but then again i run into 4 stop signs,12 traffic signals, and 30-45 mins of bumper to bumper traffic on the way to work, so why would i want to drive stick while at work especially pulling a trailer. I am only 20 and have had 3 manuals and one auto and the next will be automatic.

PMLAWN
07-24-2004, 10:36 AM
In a light duty truck (1/2 ton) the auto is the better way to go. In heavy duty the new 5 & 6 speeds are great for pulling. In most cases the auto will have a bigger tow rating (light duty).

150 6 cyl 5 speed with 4000# trailer Will it work? yes If that is what you are stuck with but I would not buy one to do the job. I would check Fords website for tow ratings to be sure because that is probilty close to the limit if not over.

HOOLIE
07-25-2004, 02:37 AM
I always liked backing up a trailer better with a stick. Now if the truck will be driven by you only, a stick is no problem. If employees are gonna drive it, you will go thru some clutches. And if you'll be driving in a lot of traffic a stick is just a PITA.

lamarbur
07-25-2004, 07:29 AM
I have a Dodge 01 w Ho Cummins and six speed tranny. I have a Bri-Mar 18', 12000 GVW trailer.. I pull compact tractors all the time. Some are at the 10,000 mark which legally puts me over.. Luckily, this one machine is only pulled here and there a few miles at a time.. I wouldn't even try an automatic.. Anyone familiar with Bigelow Hollow in Ct, would undertand.. Pretty severe pull in the hollow..

WINGNUT
07-25-2004, 09:03 AM
It just doesn't seem like a truck to me unless it has a clutch.....

newblade
07-25-2004, 09:38 AM
I had a Mazda b4000 with a stick, 4.0 liter and it pulled a 16 foot tandem axle with two exmark 60" mowers on it. It was rough on hills but I made it. I now drive a jeep with the 5.2 liter in it and automatic. It is a whole lot nicer but I fear the transmission in it? :cool:

grass_cuttin_fool
07-25-2004, 09:53 AM
I prefer the manual tranny myself but I just bought a truck with an auto in it and Im gonna add coolers to it to hopefully add to the life of it. I think that on the auto tranny you need to add an extra cooler and service the fluid every year to get them top hold up in a 1/2 ton pick up. If you plan to push snow I would not get a manual tranny