PDA

View Full Version : making compost

zelenak
06-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Hello everyone.

I am making a lawn and meadow. I have had to grade quite a bit and have stripped the topsoil off of about 4 acres in order to move the subsoil around to the new grade. The site was a young forest (50years?) before which it was a barnyard. We cleared it and are now ready to establish lawn and flower meadow.

I am going to sceen the topsoil and put it back down but I want to know if I should compost. I have 50 acres of forest and swamp and wonder if there is anything there which I could use without greatly disturbing it to feed this project at the front of the lot - eg. forest floor rotted leaves, dirt, downed trees - with extra organic matter. I have the space to set up a large compost pile.

Another alternative is to get horse manure locally. One contractor I know has horse manure which he says has been 'rotted' for about twenty years. His opinion is that it would not add much organic matter but would be a good areator for the soil. Fresh manure is also available but the well is under the lawn and I am worried about bacteria. Could I augment/compost the 20 year manure? I have until fall to get it done. Thanks.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
06-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Sounds like you have plenty of organic matter in the soil. By the way you need 68 yards of compost to do 1 acre 1/2" deep.

Why are you screening the topsoil if it to remove rocks fine, if it to remove weed seeds dont waste your time.

Fresh manure will bring in weed seeds and a Lot of N.