PDA

View Full Version : ? About Crabapple Tree Suckers

lawnyogi
06-07-2004, 08:27 PM
I have a client that needs an excessive amount of suckers removed from a row of crabapple trees. (I think this is a result of years of mulch volcanos.) I cut them back and remulched per the clients request, but they are back two weeks later.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BCSteel
06-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Keep hacking them down every time you go by with the weed eater. After a couple months they will stop coming up.

neal-wolbertsinc
06-08-2004, 01:37 AM
Ever hear of Sucker Stopper? Can't remember now who makes it but it would sure beat string trimming the bark off the trees. Neal

lawnyogi
06-08-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by neal-wolbertsinc
Ever hear of Sucker Stopper?

I will look for this unless someone knows of something else.

Thanks.

D Felix
06-08-2004, 09:18 PM
It's not a recommended application at all, and I probably shouldn't even mention it, but my boss told me a couple of months ago that one of the properties that we do maintenance at, she had put Tordon on the cut ends of the suckers several years ago. They still sucker, but not nearly as bad. Tordon is a stump killer, btw. Try it at your own risk!

One guy over on Arboristsite mentioned a while ago that he was experimenting with NAA applications after performing an air spade excavation. I need to ask him how it has worked.....

Dan

bam
06-08-2004, 11:28 PM
sucker stopper, manufactured by monterey chemical company

heritage
06-08-2004, 11:36 PM
lawnyogi,
Do Not Use Tordon (picloram)on any tree suckers unless you want to kill the tree that you apply to as well.

Neal mentioned sucker stopper. That product is made by Monteray Chemical. I have never used it, so before you even think about applying it, read the label. The crabapple is suckering because it is has been under some sort of stress. (very possably from too much mulch and poor water penatration) You can drench the plant with a solution of kelp extract to help the plant to grow more roots and be more stress tolerant......in the meantime a good pair of Felco's on a monthly basis should do the trick.

Pete D.

TREEGODFATHER
06-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Cambistat. It's made for the purpose, and is an accepted favorite in our world.

heritage, not necessarily. Suckers can also result from improper pruning techniques- not collaring properly or cutting too far from a bud.

Over-fert can push top growth like you wouldn't believe, too.

:laugh:

fraidl
06-25-2006, 12:33 PM
I have a crabapple tree in my yard, about 50 feet from where the suckers are located. The only other trees in the yard are a pine and my neighbor has a swamp maple. Can anyone tell me if the suckers could be traveling 50 feet from the crabapple. There are no suckers within a 10-15 foot area of the crabapple. Any help is greatly appreciated as these things are driving me crazy! Thanks.

jameson
06-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Unfortunately Malus are prone to suckering regardless of pruning techniques.

But there are some cool cultivars that are less prone to suckering (root stock) and are extrememly disease resistant.

I have used Malus 'Indian Summer' in landscapes and it is a real beauty.

BTW: anyone use 'Sucker Stop RTU'...If so, how effective was it?