PDA

View Full Version : What to cure cutworms?

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
06-07-2004, 10:19 PM
I had a customer stop and ask me today what would help cure cutworms in the garden, im not big into gardening, but Diazno was brought up by the customer. Some help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Ric
06-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Cut worm are night feeders and they lay on the ground during the day. Sevin Dust is labeled for gardens. Liquid Sevin is also labeled for gardens. However I would recommend washing all product very well before eating them.

Vermonster
06-08-2004, 11:36 AM
The easieast solution if the customer only has a small number of plants is to slide a collar around the stem and at least 1 inches above and below the soil surface. Paper towel/toilet paper tubes work well, as do plastic cups with the buttom cut out.

I believe BT and rotenone are also labeled for cutworm.

As previously noted, they are night feeders, so applications are best late in the afternoon, early evening.

In the future, prevention includes not planting in areas previously covered by turf, tilling the garden in late fall, and applying collars at the time seedlings are transplanted.

VT

martn
06-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Orthene, it is systemic.

Ric
06-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by martn
Orthene, it is systemic.

Orthene is slightly systemic. However it will not translocate with in the plant like Merit or Cygon.

knuckles
06-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Dursban Pro is labeled for cutworms.

Ric
06-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by knuckles
Dursban Pro is labeled for cutworms.

Knucklehead

Excuses me. But Where have you been for the last year or so??? Dursban Pro has been off the horticulture market since December of 2003. There has been quite a bit of hype about it being taken off the market for the last two years, including front page newspapers. Yes the label had cutworms on it and there are still some application that only Dursban was good for. Yes Dursban is still labeled for golf courses and termite soil poisoning, However that is soon going the way of the wind also. Termite soil poison pre-treats in general are also going the way of Rachael Carson this year.

BTW This application is for Gardens and Dursban is systemic. I would not want to eat Dursban, would YOU???