PDA

View Full Version : advice for a pile of dirt

yrdandgardenhandyman
06-08-2004, 05:20 AM
Just need some advice. Have a job where the city dug up a sewer line and of course, left a pile of clay soil 8'w X 60'l X 4'h. The Homeowner wants me to level the pile as best as possible, by hand, so it'll naturally settle. I have a 4 man crew I could put out there with shovels, rakes and a rototiller. How do I charge this? I'm figuring 2 hours/man to do this.

AGLA
06-08-2004, 06:38 AM
$x/hour/man

You should bill this hourly.

o-so-n-so
06-09-2004, 01:19 AM
thats a lot of dirt to move by hand. I wouldn't do the bulk by hand.

8' X 60' X 4'....jeeees

Sometimes homeowners are so stupid to this type work. Its your job to educate.

Move by machine.
Finish by hand.......is the only way unless you have plenty of time.

DKinWA
06-09-2004, 03:15 AM
That's a lot of material......(8x60x4)/27=71.1 cubic yards. Even if you only have to move half of it, that's still a lot of material to move. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it :eek: . Is there any chance to get the city to move it since they put it there? Possibly convince them to haul it away unless the homeowner really wants it there. Granted it's less money for you, but there's still the need for finish raking and reseeding to make things look nice.

Moe Fish
06-09-2004, 01:10 PM
First I would see if the city would fix THEIR problem

EagleLandscape
06-09-2004, 01:12 PM
That is 71 yards of dirt. That is a ton of dirt. Get a skid steer, or a bigger front end loader and drop it off throughout the yard in intervals and then grade it down. Thats to only way to do it.

hosejockey2002
06-09-2004, 11:04 PM
That is 71 yards of dirt. That is a ton of dirt.

That's actually around 100 tons of dirt.:D :eek: Way too much to move by hand.

Jb3NH
06-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Thats a quite a load of clay. i wonder if theres a place that would take it for free..? At any rate Machine is the way go

steve in Pa.
06-10-2004, 09:46 PM
your crazy if your gonna do it by hand. rent a skid loader and get it done in 1/2 of the time. run over the ditch line with the skid steer to pack it down. much better that naturally settling.

dvmcmrhp52
06-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Just one question,the homeowner obviously had to pay for this sewer line to be done or the city used a right of way through their property. Either way why would they want to pay someone to fix what should already have been done?

yrdandgardenhandyman
06-11-2004, 05:14 AM
In this town you, the homeowner, owns the sewer line from the main trunk, middle of the street, to the house and it's the homeowners responsibility to shoulder the entire financial burden. The city didn't make the mess. A private contractor did and they get away with it. This is the worst I've seen though. With most, I can go in with a tiller (usually to amend the soil) and then drag it smooth, roll it and then sod or seed. I recommended that she see if she can badger the contractor to clean up a little better and then call me back.