PDA

View Full Version : When to apply talstar?

gscone
06-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Is this a good time to apply some Talstar in NY?

GC

TSM
06-08-2004, 03:33 PM
whats your target pest??

gscone
06-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Nothing in particular. I'd like to use this as a preventative measure.

GC

TSM
06-08-2004, 03:46 PM
prevent what??

I'm not trying to bust your chops...we live in an IPM world now-a-days. Talstar is labled for a wide range of insects. But...is it labled for New York usage??, I'm not sure, but I dont think so?

gscone
06-08-2004, 03:50 PM
You're not breaking my chops at all....Our lesco dealers here in NY carry talstar so I imagine it is legal to sell here. Last year I had quite a few various insects in the backyard, so I'd like to stay bug free this year, hence the original post.

GC

TSM
06-08-2004, 04:02 PM
ok, i pulled out a talstar label. Says 'not for use in NY State without the product bulletin for talstar lawn and tree flowable insecticide/miticide'
Since i'm not in NY I'm not sure what that means. since you want it for your own property I'd say your ok.

staying 'bug free' might be asking a lot. Are we talking turf damaging insects, or nuisence insects, ie. ants/fleas?

Guess it doesnt really matter. My answer would be "yes, it is a good time to apply Talstar"

If you want a 'bug free zone' use it every 30 days (this goes against my IPM beliefs so its hard for me to even type this recommendation)

good luck :)

MrBarefoot
06-08-2004, 04:57 PM
There are all kinds of beneficial insects in your lawn that you would kill if you apply talstar willy-nilly.

I get the impression that you are making this choice without full understanding of IPM or a sound pest control strategy.

Please don't think I am beating you up. If you are treating your property, then you have every right to do as you wish. But unless there is a very compelling reason to make a "bug free zone", I think you are going a little overboard with the insect control.

As a lawn care pro, I think I can speak for everyone on this forum when I say we all support responsible pesticide use. I am sure that if you have specific questions or a problem you want to solve, then by asking for help you will get a deluge of helpful advice and information.

I hope you don't find this out of line.

TSM
06-08-2004, 06:01 PM
"ditto' mrbarefoot

gscone
06-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the input, but as a responsible human being I know what I am doing by practicing some sort of pest mgmt. Whether I choose to go with Talstar or even Scott's summerguard remains to be seen, all depends of course on the pest's that may arise. Thanks for all your input.

GC

heritage
06-08-2004, 11:08 PM
gscone,
I would not recommend that you use Talstar as a preventative.
If you anticipate chinch bugs or sod webworm larva, here's what you can do..........For chinch bugs wait until you see activity on southern exposures or hot spots near driveways,sidewalks ect. then apply talstar at lable rates. If you are targeting SWL then wait until you see the lawn moth adults zig zagging over the lawn before dark, or when you walk over the lawn and they fly 5-10 feet then land again. They are just starting here in central jersey so they will be laying eggs soon. When they hatch the larva from this generation will do much damage as they chew the grass down to the soil level and dead circles will appear and get larger over time. I will be applying talstar on lawns with SWL in about 2 weeks. You are in NYC so you are about a week ahead of our application timing as it's warmer there and your insect activity is ahead of ours. Go to your cooperative extension agent to learn more about the bugs and what is the best approach to their control. And also as some of the other guys have pointed out to you, Learn more abour Intergrated Pest Management........Otherwise known as Increased Profit Margins.
:D
Pete D.