PDA

View Full Version : cgm (powder vs pellitized)

cenlo
06-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Most, if not all, of the posted discussions regarding cgm refer to the product applied as a powder. I live in Ontario and have purchased cgm in pellitized form (8-8-4). Should it still be as effective. Also, I keep reading about different application amounts, from 20#'s/1000 to 40#'s/1000. And what about the amount of N? Some say it provides too much and can wreck a lawn!

Too many different opinions to know what o do!

Whats right and whats wrong? Thanks, Don

Garden Panzer
06-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I had a rep try to sell me cgm cut with urea in prill form? Is this what you have? I've used corn gluten for years now and don't think it really works. It does abit as a "supplement", but I don't even pre-m my turf as we mow with reels in the Fall through mid-spring, I don't have a problem with annual bluegrass and what broadleafs survive the Fe blasts I post spray. When I started on cgm I REALLY wanted it to work, my accounts are just not set up for that type of going back over something that was done, ie hand weeding, etc. I might try it on prill form with urea and get it going while you build up soil.
Good Luck

cenlo
06-10-2004, 01:55 PM
I've used corn gluten for years now and don't think it really works.

So, your saying you get no pre-em at all?

Garden Panzer
06-10-2004, 02:03 PM
That's right, we start mowing in late Jan. or early feb. we use a reel that time of year, mowing so short followed by a liquid Fe ap kills out most of the bad stuff, we don't use anything but iron 'till easter. The grass turns black, I'm sure you've seen it before. Short grass here is key, people who mow too tall in the wet months tend to get the nastys, too much n in the spring will do it too...the only pre-m I use is Norosac on zero-scape stuff.

Norm Al
06-14-2004, 01:19 PM
is cgm actually working for you guys? www.crabgrassalert.com

cenlo
06-14-2004, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure if it works, thats why I'm asking you guys! I have about 2 tonnes of the pelletized cgm (7-1-2) in my garage. I will use the product after my endophtic rye grass (which I just seeded) grows enough. Just don't want to waste my time and money if: a) product is no good. or b) powdered cgm is better.

Thanks again for all the imput guys, I do appreciate it, Don