PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Gum tree sprouting problem

J and M Mowing
06-08-2004, 04:59 PM
I have a customer who has, what she calls, a Sweet Gum tree that has these spiney balls on it. We mow her yard and have recently noticed that the root system on this tree has produced a large number of small trash trees (?) growing up from the roots of this tree. The customer wants us to get rid of them, but I have no idea how to do it just short of using Round up. She would like keep the tree if possible, but I'm afraid if we use Round up, it will get into the roots system and kill the tree. Any ideas? Thanks

D Felix
06-08-2004, 09:33 PM
If it's in the yard, continue to mow them. If they are in a mulch bed, chances are that they are sprouts from the gumballs. Those can be sprayed with round up.

I doubt they are root suckers, I don't recall seeing a sweet gum sucker, though I'm sure there's one out there that has....

Dan

TurfGuyTX
06-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Snipper used properly would put an end to those balls in the first place. Use it and make some money with it. It's good stuff.

TREEGODFATHER
06-09-2004, 01:14 AM
I agree. Very unlikely to be root suckers.

Snipper does the trick quite nicely!

In a mulch bed, I'd rather just (no pun intended) keep them snipped out with hand pruners.