PDA

View Full Version : fabric over mulch,, then remulch

scott in the soo
06-08-2004, 06:40 PM
have any of you guys ever done this... putting fabric over a current bed of mulch and then adding new mulch.. or should i remove all of the old mulch....

dvmcmrhp52
06-08-2004, 08:04 PM
As long as there is no fabric under the existing mulch it shouldn't be a problem,If there is fabric under the existing mulch I would not add another layer of fabric.

WeatherMan
06-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Just did that today!!!! Works great

D Felix
06-08-2004, 10:39 PM
WHAT?!?!?!!????

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you are using rock mulch, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use fabric under the mulch. Organic mulches break down, and if there is fabric (or plastic for that matter) underneath, the mulch will not incorporate into the soil and will build up MUCH faster with the fabric than without.

Not to mention, the fabric does NOTHING to stop blown in weed seeds which is where most weeds germinate from after the second year. Once they germinate OVER the fabric, they will put roots down THROUGH the fabric, and make it a MAJOR PITA to pull them.

I can't believe you "experienced" guys would recommend putting fabric under mulch....

IT'S A HUGENO NO!!!!

Do I need to be any more clear?

Dan

Kohls Landscaping Co
06-08-2004, 10:47 PM
u put it in and somebody else gets paid to rip it out in a couple of years...

can't tell ya how many times i've had to remove 'weed mat...'

-dave

dvmcmrhp52
06-09-2004, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by D Felix
[B]WHAT?!?!?!!????

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you are using rock mulch, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use fabric under the mulch. Organic mulches break down, and if there is fabric (or plastic for that matter) underneath, the mulch will not incorporate into the soil and will build up MUCH faster with the fabric than without.

Not to mention, the fabric does NOTHING to stop blown in weed seeds which is where most weeds germinate from after the second year. Once they germinate OVER the fabric, they will put roots down THROUGH the fabric, and make it a MAJOR PITA to pull them.

I can't believe you "experienced" guys would recommend putting fabric under mulch....

I don't EVER recomend fabric,BUT,some people insist.
I agree with you 100% but even some of the large landscape outfits regularly use fabric.Go figure..........to me it is an absolute pain..................

Last year we did somewhere around 600 yards of mulch,only 1 job of about 15 yards decided they had to have fabric.

TREEGODFATHER
06-09-2004, 02:03 AM
D Felix...

Ditto.

Fabric/plastic is for harscapes.

GreenMonster
06-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Kohls Landscaping Co
u put it in and somebody else gets paid to rip it out in a couple of years...

can't tell ya how many times i've had to remove 'weed mat...'

-dave

Did it at my own house this year. What a f'in mess.

Wish I knew this 8 years ago. Hell, wish I knew this 3 years ago. Another large area to do. Probably next year.

EagleLandscape
06-09-2004, 02:14 PM
I second that with treegodfather and d felix. What is to stop the weeds from germinating on top of the mulch and fabric. Nothing, therefore its a waste of money and a waste of your time.

TREEGODFATHER
06-10-2004, 12:44 AM
If the customer "insists" on fabric under mulch, "insist" on a waiver to cover the eventuallity that it will look like crap.

After all, YOU'RE supposed to be the pro, not them. Elsewise, why did they call you in the first place?

RedWingsDet
06-11-2004, 01:02 AM
the only thing that weed barrier has EVER helped me with was when i redid my own house, and after i took out the plants for good, they would come back, so i redid it again and put barrier down, and those Yukka plants never came back, well one did, but it was harder for it to get through the fabric. other then that reason to use fabric, it is a waste, because then the wind/water will push mulch away and you will see the fabric, not to mention seeds growing ontop of the mulch.

D Felix
06-12-2004, 01:31 AM
Last year we did somewhere around 600 yards of mulch,only 1 job of about 15 yards decided they had to have fabric.
Out of the thousands of yards of mulch that I have installed over the last 7 years, I can not remember a single job where we first put down fabric. And that is with 4 different employers over that time period.

But that's just me.:rolleyes:

Dan

hoyboy
06-12-2004, 11:36 AM
4 employers in 7 years, Dan? Can't find a groove?

D Felix
06-12-2004, 12:04 PM
4 of those 7 were spent in college. I've had two employers since May of '01, and the only reason I left the first one was because I was laid off.

I stayed with one company all the way through college, except for one summer I went somewhere else to see how someone else did it....

Point is, I've got a fair amount of experience with a wide range of employers.:D Worked on jobs that totaled just a couple hundred dollars to jobs that were $300k+. Have yet to put fabric under bark mulch.:rolleyes:

Dan

Kate Butler
07-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Plastic?? NEVER if you will ever be putting plant naterial in that bed: it keeps water away from all roots under the bed and completely screws up the soil/oxygen ratio at the same time. I wish I had an extra buck for every yard of weedbarrier fabric I've removed...but the palstic (removal) is worse - it comes up in annoyingly unmanageable small pieces.

GreenMonster
07-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Kate Butler
Plastic?? NEVER if you will ever be putting plant naterial in that bed: it keeps water away from all roots under the bed

Is that why during a plastic removal this summer, I noticed several shrubs with shallow roots -- that is, practically rooting on top of the soil, and into the plastic?

CharlieBingo
07-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Only homeowners use fabric!