PDA

View Full Version : faster, yet just as effective way to prepare for landscape site than sod removal?

Doster's L & L
06-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Today, i busted my tail, preparing for a landscape installation. About the time my clothes were wringing with sweat, i had this thought that there must be an easier way to prepare for a landscape than to cut the sod and remove it. I suppose i could bring soil in to the site, but there is hardly any soil that gets transported that doesnt already have an butt load of bermuda in it already. If i were to spray the site (fescue) a day before i were to start installing plants, and then till it up, would i still get good results?? I imagine that the bermuda or zoysia is ALWAYS going to be there whether i dig it out or not, but still i'm thinking that sod removal is going to be the best bet. is there anything that will kill the stolons or rhyzomes and yet allow me to till it w/out having to remove it?

D Felix
06-08-2004, 09:43 PM
A similiar question has already been asked.... See:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70532

Hope it helps.

Dan

Doster's L & L
06-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks for bringing up the past thread, Dan. I'm still wondering about the whole thing about whether or not it will kill the stolons and rhizomes. I see you're from IN. Do you have bermuda up there? I'm guessing you don't because of your cooler climate. Have you sprayed bermuda first hand and had great results from it? (ie not having more bermuda come up through the mulch) I'm confident that i can do this with the fescues... it's just them darned rhizomatous and stoloniferous grasses that i'm having trouble with. Thanks!

D Felix
06-09-2004, 08:44 AM
We don't have bermuda up here. My first thought is that the roundup should take care of it, but you may want to edge first to cut any stolons and rhizomes that go back into the lawn. That should help to eliminate dieback outside of the bed.

Past that, someone else from further south is going to have to help.:)

Dan

Garden Panzer
06-09-2004, 11:47 AM
I hardly ever remove sod, it's too spendy to do it. I rototill down and plow it like a farmers field, rake out the bit's left and plant. The roundup thing a week or so ahead of time would help as I've done that one, too.
:cool:

GreenMonster
06-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Hey guys, what about renovating a lawn area that is just about gone -- thin and weed infested?

for a small area, till, rake out clumps, amend, and reseed?

D Felix
06-12-2004, 12:14 AM
Yep, what we call a "kill and till". Pretty much sums it up.

Dan

GreenMonster
06-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Dan,

Do you have a rough rule of thumb guideline for pricing a "kill & till".

x per sq. ft?

Easily accessible area, roughly 2k sf.

D Felix
06-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Nope, no rule of thumb for us. Sorry. We just don't do it enough. Prefer not to, anymore we usually refer them to someone else for lawns.

For straight final grading and seeding, last year we had been charging around 11 cents per 100 sq ft, with fuel prices being up and having to kill the existing grass plus the additional prep time, I would guess somewhere in the 15 to 20 cent per 100 sf range. But that's just a guess.

HTH.

Dan

GreenMonster
06-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by D Felix
Nope, no rule of thumb for us. Sorry. We just don't do it enough. Prefer not to, anymore we usually refer them to someone else for lawns.

For straight final grading and seeding, last year we had been charging around 11 cents per 100 sq ft, with fuel prices being up and having to kill the existing grass plus the additional prep time, I would guess somewhere in the 15 to 20 cent per 100 sf range. But that's just a guess.

HTH.

Dan

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe I'm missing something, but at that pricing, I'd be doing it for nothing???

No wonder you refer those out:D You sure per 100sf?

D Felix
06-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Sorry, those prices were per sf.

$1.10 per 100 sf.

My bad. Sorry.:o

Dan

GreenMonster
06-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Whew. I was thinking I would never end up with a renovation job at my prices -- then again, I wouldn't want them at yours!

BTW, what's HTH?

hosejockey2002
06-14-2004, 01:16 AM
Dan- shift the decimal point one more to the right and I think you'll have 'er. Hundred pennies to the dollar, correct?:laugh:

kbenvironmental
06-14-2004, 02:51 AM
Maybe sq cm here in AZ :angry:

GreenMonster
06-14-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by hosejockey2002
Dan- shift the decimal point one more to the right and I think you'll have 'er. Hundred pennies to the dollar, correct?:laugh:

Yeah, I'm still quite a bit more than that:)

Doster's L & L
06-15-2004, 09:11 AM
obviously, i havent been on here in a while. While i was gone this turned into a lawn renovation thread. Back to the first question..... Will i get good results from using roundup on grass like bermuda and zoysia, to the point that i won't need to pull up the sod OR use weed barrier? Or heck, i don't mind using the weed barrier, i know its best not to use it, but i sure don't like to pull up sod either! So now the next question is, Will the roundup do a good enough job for me not to pull the sod up or will i just be waisting my time with the roundup assuming that it'll just come up just as thick in a month (due to stolons and rhizomes)?

D Felix
06-16-2004, 09:41 AM
HTH= Hope This Helps.

The 11 cents per sf was last years price and was for a final grade and seed, no erosion control, no "kill and till".

I think we were on the higher end of what the market would bear around here. I've been quoted prices of about 7-8 cents for grading and hydroseeding. Only 3 cents per sf for grading!

Back to GG's original question, I don't know why it wouldn't work. If no one else here knows for sure, try it and report back!

Dan