View Full Version : how to get started with irrigation

06-08-2004, 10:20 PM
i have a lawn maintenance company. With about 45 customers. I do mowing, mulching, fertilizing and i wanted to get into irrigation. I don't have any experience on the subject. cust i just go to training classes with IA or just get a irrigation franchise and use the profit from that with a add on. I don't have the time to work for someone else to learn the trade. Thanks

06-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Where about in Maryland are you ? first you need your Md home improvement licence , Second you will need a vibratory plow ,
you will need to contact a registered plumber , You then have to read books on the subject , talk to distributors . This is the basics to start , you wont see a profit for a while due to the learning curve . Depending on what part of Maryland you are located you could run into a lot of established competition .

06-09-2004, 02:41 PM
irrigation would be a add on.. not worried at competition.

06-09-2004, 06:39 PM
The start up costs for irrigation are quite a bit higher than grass cutting . The learning curve is also much higher . If you are under the impression that sprinklers are easy you may want to do some more reasearch .I have been installing since 1981 and have seen companies come and go . If you are going to give it a shot get your MHIC licence its required .

Acute Cut
06-19-2004, 08:40 PM
JMO here but you can rent trenchers or vibe plows. If you are just starting out go that route. Learn about systems before trying them though. They are not terribly difficult once you get the general idea, but you need a handle first. I know there will be certain jobs that create challenges, but have the general idea before trying it out. JMO though

Instant Rain
07-01-2004, 10:44 PM
some states require that you have a licence. and its also a good idea to learn as much as you can about the subject. experience will be important, i imagine you will add this to the list of services you already offer. remember if your repair didn't work you will hear about it.

07-08-2004, 08:55 PM
why do u need a plumer

07-08-2004, 09:26 PM
The backflow prevention device usually needs to installed and/or certified by a licensed plumber.