PDA

View Full Version : Where/how to learn about irrigation systems...

allstar
06-09-2004, 10:25 AM
I want to add this service to my landscaping business.I would be more than willing to work for free for someone who installs irrigation systems in order to learn how.I doubt if anyone would let me,though,because as soon as I learned how I would start doing them for myself.So how do I learn?Any books,online courses or instruction,etc.
If I could just become somewhat competent I could install a system in my own yard and maybe those of other family members.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

capmaint
06-09-2004, 11:31 AM
check out jessstryker.com for an all inclusive tutorial.

LAWNSTAR1306
06-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Yeah I agree jessstryker.com is the way to go... I used this as a reference while studying for the exam. also the free brochures at the home improvement stores will give a basic understanding.

Grassmechanic
06-10-2004, 06:51 AM
Rainbird sponsors seminars throughout the year. Check with their website.

allstar
06-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Thanks much.The jessstryker site looks great.Also,I picked up a Rainbird bruchure at Lowe's yesterday.

DanaMac
06-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Talk with your local suppliers and see if they know of someone you could "train" with. You can read all the materials and manuals you want but getting your hands dirty is the best way. If you are wanting to do the service work, manuals won't help you much.

aquamtic
06-10-2004, 10:53 AM
HUNTER also has a great Residential Design Handbook you can download from their website.

I have all my new help read this manual and it really gives them a good feel to what happens in the design and installtion process.
www.hunterindustries.com

allstar
06-11-2004, 08:49 AM
I absolutely agree,DanaMac but doubt if anyone would train me because as soon as I learn how I'll become a competitor.I will try that.I'd be willing to work for free.Thanks.

Mdirrigation
06-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Come on up to maryland , if you want to work for free I will teach you everything you need to know . Matt

allstar
06-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Actually,I'm considering offering to work for someone outside of my general area in order to gain the necessary experience.You're a little TOO far,though.

Critical Care
06-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Allstar, I'm a one man show here and I'd sure welcome someone who wanted to work with me to gain experience. I'd know that the person was going to get into the business one way or another and so why not have someone eager to learn work for me just for the experience? Makes sense to me, but a lot of guys look at you in a different light.

Oregon has a 100 question irrigation test (50 more for the backflow), but I found Rainbird's Irrigation Design Manual to be my one source. This isn't the little bit of information that homeowners get at Home Depot, but this contains the technical info and charts you would need to be familiar with, such as static and dynamic pressures, velocity rates, and so forth. I haven't seen the Hunter Design Handbook, but can imagine that it would be like Rainbirds.

jwilson32
06-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Contact a few suppliers in your area. Thats how i got started. The irrigation guy came to the shop and we set down for a couple of hours and then he took me to dinner. The next week i put in my first irrigation system. I think there a snap. I had a plumber do my first tap. I would suggest this.

jwilson32
06-16-2004, 10:07 PM
If you want to fly to Kansas ill show you how to install. Your far enough from me i wouldnt worry about cometetion...lol.
your welcome to come on out.
jordan