PDA

View Full Version : Burn spots from the dog

Riggz
06-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Is there anything out there that will help relive the burn spots that my yellow lab leaves me in the back yard? It looks like he's been in the Jim Beam & Pabst lately.
Is there a product that can "help" bring back the health or should I just continue to: scratch it up, soak it, hand full of top soil, seed & straw? (that looks bad for a while also)

Thanks for any advise-

The C Man
06-09-2004, 02:42 PM
I used to have some neighbors who were really fussy about their lawn. When they let their dog out they'd go outside with him and wait until he did his business and then pour a big bucket of water over the spot to help dilute it. A pain I'm sure, but their lawn didn't have any brown spots in it like mine did (and does).

TSM
06-09-2004, 03:02 PM
we have a vetranarian (sp) as a customer, he has two yellow labs as pets and generally is dog sitting for other dogs, not unussual for him to have 4 dogs roaming his back yard, yet no damage to the turf. He puts something in the dog food, I have no clue what it is but you may want to ask your vet

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-09-2004, 03:23 PM
There are some products out there you put in their food. Check the pet stores.

Derek

Green Dreams
06-09-2004, 05:00 PM
I had a customer drop moth balls to encourage the dog to go elsewhere. Don't know if it worked but it sounded good...Drew

timturf
06-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Have 3 labs and one smaller mix bread dog, i mix up 46 oz of tomatoe juice (cheapest) and 16oz cheap vegatable oil, squirt a small amount on dry dog food daily when feeding. Really helps the spots, and the oil helps their coat.

Was a another thread on this subject 3-4 weeks ago

nriddle77
06-09-2004, 08:26 PM
I heard tomato paste work for that problem

dcondon
06-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Riggz
Is there anything out there that will help relive the burn spots that my yellow lab leaves me in the back yard? It looks like he's been in the Jim Beam & Pabst lately.
Is there a product that can "help" bring back the health or should I just continue to: scratch it up, soak it, hand full of top soil, seed & straw? (that looks bad for a while also)

Thanks for any advise-

I have a male choc lab that does the same thing. Then we have female black lab but dosen't hurt the grass....

Riggz
06-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the replies guys... went to the local PET Supply Store today and they had "treats" ($14 for a small jar) you can feed 'em for such an issue, who woulda thought! So here we go, 4-5 treats a day and see what happens.

So the bottom line is, I can't treat my lawn for the problem but I can cure my dog??? Funny.

BTW the Vet said that they don't recomend it, the dog may have issues in the future. I'll just use it during the 2 months of summer we have here in Wisconsin. :rolleyes:

Thanks again-

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-10-2004, 07:22 AM
With my old dog we had the problem but it went away as she got older. I could have been related to the switch from puppy food to regular dog food. I don' t know...

timturf
06-10-2004, 08:34 AM
vegatable oil and tomatoe juice is real cheap cure

vegomatic40
06-12-2004, 12:21 PM
While I must admit I have never heard of the tomatoe juice/vegetable oil remedy I will suggest it to a few customers as a control group and see what happens. I'm uncertain what effect the oil has (other than possible increased regularity) the tomatoe juice would almost certainly increase the acidity of the dog's urine and possibly decrease the ammonia. Adding inexpensive, screw-top vodka to the juice will make the dog "less active" and reduce traffic wear along the fence as well. Just make sure you stock up on celery to make a proper cocktail for rover.
In the end, I've seen people go to extraodinary efforts to have both a nice lawn and huge dogs. My standard answer remains...Make a choice, a nice, green lawn or keep the beast(s.)

PaulJ
06-12-2004, 11:43 PM
There's a pill called "green 'um" that you can give the dog.

donal
08-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Yup, I heard tomato juice in their water stops the burn marks as well>

DUSTYCEDAR
08-07-2004, 11:00 AM
I TRAINED THE DOG to pee in the stones and not the yard

Runner
08-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Now THERE's a great solution! Also, if your dog goes in the same area all the time, you can also hose it down and dillute it. The dog treat things DO work, as well as the stuff for the food.

Wells
08-12-2004, 05:51 PM
The spots are from the high concentration of nitrogen in the dogs urine. A female dog has a higher concentration of nitrogen than the male and the spotting is sometimes referred to as "female dog spot disease"

I idea behind the tomato juice is that the salt makes the dog drink more and thus dilutes the urine more. The more diluted the urine the less burning of the lawn. You can also use canned dog food or moisten the dry food or even add small amounts of salt to the food. Anything to increase the dillution process.

You can also try watering the lawn more frequently. The urine site can be watered up to 8 hours after urination with little burning effect while anything longer than 12 hours will most likely show signs of burning.