PDA

View Full Version : funky retaining wall...see photos

DowntoEarthLLC
06-09-2004, 06:15 PM
So how would you guys do this... Customer has taller driveway, his driveway spills dirt all over his neighbors pretty new driveway. So he wants a retaining wall.

If this was just a wall on a hill I wouldn't hesitate about doing it. But there are concerns about the driveway dirt eventually eroding away from underneath it. Should a french drain type of trench be installed under the wall? As well as plenty of drain pipe behind the wall.

The area is about 45 feet long. Front is about 3 feet wide. Rear area is about 2 feet.

Don't know. Thats why I love lawnsite.

See photos.

oh yeah... the property line is down the middle of that strip. So by the front of the driveway there would be some room to work with, but at the rear, things get pretty tight.

Rex Mann, you the Man at this Hardscape stuff. Where you @

EagleLandscape
06-09-2004, 06:34 PM
No, just build the wall on the right side of that trench. That's simple.

Oh, I see that the property line goes down the middle. Just do the wall down the middle and provide a good solid base. You'll be fine.

DowntoEarthLLC
06-09-2004, 09:01 PM
no worries about drainage?

EagleLandscape
06-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Well, what kind of wall? Dry stack? Or something with mortar or whatnot?

o-so-n-so
06-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Would look good if both owners went together and made a wall with slow curves. The owner to the left would maintain plants on the top grade, the owner down hill could maintain plants on his grade.

Everything to straight. Curved wall would add to the look.......................Just a thought.

If i went straight. I would go all the way back to upper pad..... or..... put the face of the retainer even with the end of the pad on the lower side and back fill to top grade.

Rex Mann
06-10-2004, 02:39 AM
What is the difference in elevation between the two driveways?

Peace,

Rex

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

Ice_Gargoylle
06-10-2004, 02:40 AM
i tell ya what, i would use railroad ties. not alot of room to work with for one. block will take some space int here, basically cutting 1/3 of that away instantly at best. everything under that concrete pad is compacted rock, aint gonna move on ya so you could get away with 3' deadmen spaced at 6-8' with some rebar for good measure...plus it wont waste a bumper like block would.

Acute Cut
06-10-2004, 09:24 AM
wow. I was inclined to go with the first replies on this one, but so n so really has a good idea here. You might want to approach them on it. It shows class vs just a great job in my opinion. Man, wish i had thought of that so n so.

landscapingpoolguy
06-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Seems pretty standard to me. You could start the wall right up against the lower driveway.....id use somesort of pin system keystone with no batter....will have to get neighbors permission to do this job anyways....no way you could do it and not infringe on there property line....seems pretty standard id say less then 3 ft in hieght too

Chuck

DowntoEarthLLC
06-10-2004, 08:05 PM
2' 3" in the front.

1' 10" in the rear.

So If I was to build this wall right up next to the neighbors lower driveway, shouldn't the neighbors be paying for this wall?

The customer really wants to use retaining wall type of stone because his neighbor just spent like 7 grand on a nice patio/wall in the back of the house. So my guy wants to make this wall match his neighbors landscape / style.

Would look good if both owners went together and made a wall with slow curves.

Agreed