PDA

View Full Version : Situation, what to do?

MOW ED
06-09-2004, 08:17 PM
I have a new fertilizer customer who is very happy with my work at her home. I have applied 1 round of fert and have sprayed once and the property responded nicely.
I got an e-mail from her stating that she is the property manager of a business in town and she would like me to take a look at the lawn and give her my suggestions.
I went there today and measured up the lawn and inspected it. It is a rough weed filled lawn. It has just been cut over the years and that is really all they do to it. It is mostly weed content, clover, thistle dandelion, ect.
Now I have been done with apps for about 2 weeks now as it is getting warmer and I am spraying esthers (speedzone). I know I could probably spray if the day is right but I have a major concern. The company that she manages is a wholesale FLORIST. I can imagine me spraying and then everything volitizing and drifting indoors. Its probably a longshot but it is something I don't like thinking about but have to address. My spray set-up is the Walker boom sprayer which will do a number on the weeds but I am in this quandry about the florist. So what would you tell her? I am thinking that I should offer to fertilize the place for the rest of the year and find out when the business is at a slow point. Possibly hit the fall crop of weeds and then see what happens in the spring.
Tough call huh or is it something that I am making too much out of?

James Cormier
06-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by MOW ED

or is it something that I am making too much out of?

Yup, Follow the label, do it early mornings ( less wind ) you should be fine. Just dont spray under any non target plants

BCSteel
06-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Seems kind of paranoid to me. I have the same sprayer and have very little/no drift.

Turf Medic
06-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Early morings, less wind, cooler, shouldn't be a problem. Just for extra pre-caution, you might want to check and make sure they aren''t using big ventilation fans, if so, might be a good idea to have them shut them down for a bit.

GroundKprs
06-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Ed, obviously some don't understand the difference between drift and volatilization. Esters will volatilize at higher temps - they can be perfectly applied, but will evaporate and land on desireable vegetation later. I myself would not consider broadcast apps of ester formulations above 70°. Can't remember exactly what the formal recommendations are.

I do use asters almost exclusively. Will spot treat all year round with them. But for the case of needing a broadcast coverage in late spring, summer, or early fall, I keep Momentum on hand. Consider that if you can get a no wind situation at the florist's.

But most of all, you should know, if you are uncomfortable with a situation, don't go into it, or get out of it ASAP.

TSM
06-10-2004, 01:30 PM
actually, mowed mentioned both-
"I can imagine me spraying and then everything volitizing and drifting indoors."

I do agree about esters, kinda warm now, amine would be a better choice

Now, I personally would have no problem doing this application because I'm confident there will not be any problems

MrBarefoot
06-10-2004, 10:45 PM
I just started using SpeedZone this season. The label states that you can spray up to 90 degree's. Has anyone sprayed this at lower temps and had any damage?