PDA

View Full Version : yellowing leaves on newly planted river birch

fa fa flo hite
06-09-2004, 09:35 PM
i planted a 7ft riverbirch about a week ago and the leaves are turing yellow and falling off,do you have any answers?:blob3:

AGLA
06-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Starting from the top, or all over?

fa fa flo hite
06-09-2004, 10:55 PM
it may have started from the top ,but it seems to be gatting worse and all over all though there are small green leaves that look like they want to open its mainly the older leaves that are yellowing then falling off,its looking like it would if it was the fall season.

PowerPlay
06-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Has it been watered properly? Planted high? Mulched? What kind of soil was it planted in? Did it look ok when you got the plant or was it already yellowing? If it wasn't dug fresh and sat out before you picked it up without being waterd, that could be the problem.

polecat63
06-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Lots of plants suffer leaf drop when newly planted. Plants don't usually like being moved. If the tree was fine when you planted it this could be the cause.

TREEGODFATHER
06-10-2004, 12:40 AM
My guess is you would have refused the plant if it looked like that when you picked it up, so I'll presume it was a healthy appearing specimen when you planted it.

Sounds like transplant shock. Make sure it's being adequately watered, but not drowned. Often homeowners forget to do it.

1bsman
06-16-2004, 01:03 AM
I had the same problem last year. The nursery recommended adding iron (Ironite). There was a noticeable improvement within a week

Ice_Gargoylle
06-16-2004, 11:22 AM
yup ironite or sequestrene? will help. also will help if you prune out some of the little branches in the middle, river birch always bite the dust from lack of water due to all the growth. thin it, fertit, it'll be fine.

GreenMonster
06-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by polecat63
Lots of plants suffer leaf drop when newly planted. Plants don't usually like being moved. If the tree was fine when you planted it this could be the cause.

Birch can be especially touchy, in my experience.

Tony Clifton
06-16-2004, 10:18 PM
I just planted a 12' river birch and same thing happened. I am confident it is shock, the tree should be fine ina couple of weeks. However, it has 3 canes and all of the leaves on one are brown (still attached) lets hope this is wind burn from the truck ride, I think that it will come back too

C&J landscape
06-17-2004, 05:55 PM
I came across the same problem when I planted 2 in my yard. I knew it had to be shock from moving the plant from the nursery and planting. I just made sure it got plenty of water and good soil/mulch to help it out.

Melomad
07-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Did anyone's tree survive? We are having the same issue,

xtreem3d
07-04-2012, 06:25 PM
fwiw...the thread is 8 years old so you might not hear back