PDA

View Full Version : construction worker dies in accident-- in cincinnati

new-man
06-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Construction worker dies in accident

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By David Eck
Enquirer Contributor

Officials investigate a fatal construction accident on Mason-Montgomery Road beneath I-71 in Deerfield Township.
(Glenn Hartong/The
Cincinnati Enquirer)

DEERFIELD TWP. - A construction worker died early today after a backhoe bucket came loose and pinned him in a trench where he was working on Mason-Montgomery Road at Interstate 71.

William Shearn, 34, of Middletown, was dead when emergency workers arrived.

Investigators said Shearn and another man were installing a water line in the underground trench when a backhoe bucket came loose about 4 a.m., rolled into the trench and pinned him against water line, said Deerfield Township Deputy Fire Chief Nathan Bromen.

Shearn was conscious and talking with rescuers as firefighters worked to free him, Bromen said. But he passed out during the rescue.

Shearn was an employee of Reynolds Construction Co. The company was working as a sub-contractor for Cincinnati Water Works for the underground pipe installation. The project has an Ohio Department of Transportation permit.

Crews from the Hamilton County Urban Search and Rescue team responded to stabilize the trench and help free Shearn, Bromen said.

Emergency workers from Mason, the American Red Cross and University Hospital were also called to help in the rescue attempt.

The accident remains under investigation by several agencies, including the state agency that looks at worker safety issues.

The south lanes of Mason-Montgomery Road were closed all morning and traffic rerouted while the accident was investigated, said Ohio State Highway Patrol Sgt. Rick Zwayersaid.

i was out there today and i saw them still working on that project!