PDA

View Full Version : Low Volume spraying with a Permagreen

RasterBlaster
06-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Has anyone been successful with spraying anything besides weed control with their Permagreen? Maybe Talstar or fungicide or supplements? I'm trying to milk this $4600 toy for all she's worth.

(I asked about low volume spraying of supplements over on the Organic forum, got no takers.)

Thanks.

specialtylc
06-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Many fungicides and such need a high volume of water to wash the product into the root zone.

RasterBlaster
06-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Yea, I know the challenges associated with low volume spraying. The obvious one being the chemical is sprayed onto the blades so any uptake needs to be through the cell wall cause there is not enough carrier to take in down to the soil. There are spray-able fungicides though.

James Cormier
06-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Up until this season all I did was weed control, and post crab control ( acclaim ) I always got great results with both.

This season I started a mosquito control program ( garlic barrier ) and I use the pg for that and it seems to work good, I also started selling a tick control ( talstar ) and people have told me they notice far less ticks so that must be working as well.

i would think fungis wouldnt work as well, rasterblaster explained that very well.

Stonewall
11-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Resurrecting an old post:

What if the fungicide is applied at the low volume rate but immediately watered in with the irrigation system to move the fungicide to the soil? Any reason that wouldn't work?

ThreeWide
11-11-2006, 12:17 AM
I suppose this would depend on whether you were applying a contact or systemic fungicide. As long as a systemic was irrigated afterward, the amount of water used as a carrier should not matter.

But consider this... if using a contact fungicide could it successfully be applied at low volume by adding surfactant to your mix?

I've actually pondered the same question this week in preparing quotes for a large property.

Also most of my fungicides are in WDG form, which can be tough to do with a PG unless you premix in another tank.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-12-2006, 12:57 PM
i dont trust it to put down enough liquid to get good results with many fungicides still like the old hose for those apps

Shades of Green LService
11-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I have spoken to the guys at my local Lesco about applying fungicides with the PG and they told me Spectator would probably work but I would have to make 2 passes. Also someone has posted that they have used EAGLE with the PG as well.Not sure about Insecticides Though.

TurfProSTL
11-13-2006, 02:49 AM
Check product labels for low-volume dilution rates.

Liquid formulations would seem to be better options, for agitation reasons.

We've had good results with liquid insecticides and Eagle (liquid). Read the labels, though, because some products can be damaging to plants at high product to lower volume water dilution rates, unless watered immediately.

vegomatic40
11-13-2006, 08:47 AM
EC formulations might work but I would be hesitant since the only agitation is through the shaking of the machine while doing the app. WDG's would certainly be out. Maybe installing a higher volume pump and wading through the potential nightmare of wiring, mounting,calibration and then installing a sparge agitator in the bottom of the tank. By that time one could yank out the hose from a skid-sprayer and be certain that is was applied at label rates.

Grandview
11-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Permagreens agitate with a bypass flow. Just use low gear/high nozzle or get larger nozzles to obtain the desired volume.

RigglePLC
11-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Liquid fungicides should work fine--I think--but maybe not, if it is a thick slurry emulsifiable concentrate--like Cleary's 3336, or Daconil. The PG agitation is almost zero. I have been thinking if there is a way to add sparge agitation by installing a couple of nozzles from the return line near the bottom of the tank. I had a couple of bad experiences when i let a herbicide sit in tank overnight. I think it settled out.
Possibly you could add a 12 volt boat bilge pump or fisherman's aerator pump and drop in into the tank.
Potentially for spraying you could add a better pump under the hood--say a Hypro roller pump and drive it with the rubber drive V-belt. Anybody tried this?
Also, I have a hard time shifting gears in my Permagreen Ultra. Need to use both hands sometimes. Do I need to add gear oil to my Peerless transmission? How?

Forever Green Lawn
11-13-2006, 05:43 PM
RigglePLC,
On your trans, look where the shift rod comes out of the trans, there should be a black boot at the bottom. Slide it up on the shaft and srpay some oil at the base of the rod where it goes into the trans. I've had a few corrode there and it makes shifting gears a real pain. Let me know if you have any questions.

RigglePLC
11-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks Forever--i will try your suggestion. I alraedy broke the ball joint connection last year.

Forever Green Lawn
11-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Those rod ends break a lot! We usually keep several on hand... but I think there may be a way to upgrade it.