PDA

View Full Version : Pavers sinking need advice

thill
06-11-2004, 06:29 AM
We installed an 8 ft square section of pavers in the center of a wooden deck at ground level. The ground slopes slightly and is about 12" below plane at one corner and 18" on the other corner.

The pavers are sinking on the 12" corner. Silly as it may be, the deeper corner is fine.

There is 8" of tamped gravel and 4" of tamped sand on the problem corner. We have removed the pavers in this corner and added and tamped (seems like forever) and reinstalled the pavers.

Alas, they are sinking again.

Can anyone help? I am feeling kinda stupid and this point and will welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
Tom

landscapingpoolguy
06-11-2004, 09:06 AM
the problem sounds like too much sand....you only really need a 1 inch base of sand over yur gravel base

Chuck

RjCjR
06-11-2004, 10:05 AM
tamp/compact the gravel in 2-3 inch lifts (or increments)
so, the gravel should be compacted 3 or 4 times total.

don't compact your sand! Like chuck said, only use one inch!
Then compact your paver into the sand.

odorisio
06-11-2004, 04:52 PM
the sand type is critical, use concrete screenings, not play sand or masons sand.

Rex Mann
06-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Loose all that sand! Use one-inch one or 1 1/2 inches maximum. Use concrete sand. Next, use a jumping jack rammer in the corners and compact in 4-inch lifts. What is holding the base in place on the sides?

Best-of-luck.

Peace,

Rex

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

thill
06-11-2004, 11:32 PM
OMG - I reckon I have screwed up.

I obviously need to remove a lot of the sand, add layers of tamped gravel and work with about an inch of sand. (It is morter sand - I guess this is not the same as concrete sand.)

Would I be safe to work only the problem corner and out about 3 feet? The rest of the 8' square has shown no signs of sinking in four months and we have had several serious flooding type rains. (5" in two days last week). Or ... should I pull it all up and start over.

Rex, the base is being held on the sides by braced and pressure treated 2x6 planks.

Thanks guys for the input. This site is absolutely priceless.

Tom