PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish aerator-need help

mikesturf
06-11-2004, 11:30 PM
I bought a slightly used Ryan aerator IV last year. It probably has 100 - 5,000 sf jobs on it. Had it serviced three times. However, I have noticed that it just does not have the same pull as it did last year. I feel that I am doing too much pushing and the machine is not doing enough pulling on its own. It has a 5hp engine. Would like some feedback before I mention this problem to the service guy.
Thanks in advance.

TSM
06-12-2004, 11:51 AM
wish you luck with that

but heres my thought

you say 'had it servced 3 times'

maybe you need to look for another service person??
I say this out of experience, we have several lesco hydro spreaders that we took in to lesco last winter for a complete overhaul, i wnted these things to be as close to new as possible. Was charges around $450 PER UNIT and they ran MUCH worse after their service...brought them back several times...finally went elswhere and they are like new now

vegomatic40
06-12-2004, 12:01 PM
When you say "it just doesn't have the same pull" do you mean it slips when going up a hill? If that is the case the idler pulley may require a small adjustment or replace the drive belt due to wear. If the overall speed is slower I would suggest checking the throttle cable to be certain it has not stretched or moved from its original location. As long as the engine is running correctly, either problem can be "tweaked" out. One other thing, Honda or Briggs?

James Cormier
06-12-2004, 04:55 PM
I think those ryans are chain drive, if the motor is running the same, then the chain must be slipping, there should be a easy way to tighting the chain. Ive noticed with aerators is you let the chain slip for too long it eats away at the teeth of gears. I have a old bluebird that the gears have no teeth left.

mikesturf
06-13-2004, 10:09 PM
3.5 hp Briggs/Stratton motor. The belt does seem loose (no slippage). When I have the tines raised, power on full, the tines spin. Drop the tines down, power it up and if I have a slight incline, 10 degrees, I'm pushing it all the way up. I will be bringing it in to serviced in this summer, thanks for the input. Hoping it just needs a little belt tightening and not a new motor or something else expensive.

MudslinginFX4
06-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by mikesturf
3.5 hp Briggs/Stratton motor. The belt does seem loose (no slippage). When I have the tines raised, power on full, the tines spin. Drop the tines down, power it up and if I have a slight incline, 10 degrees, I'm pushing it all the way up. I will be bringing it in to serviced in this summer, thanks for the input. Hoping it just needs a little belt tightening and not a new motor or something else expensive.

Up top you said it has a 5hp motor.... here you say it has a 3.5? Are we talking about the same one still?

mikesturf
06-13-2004, 10:32 PM
By my saying I had it serviced three times, once when I bought it and twice, after each 50 aerations. Just had them change fluids, lube chains, etc.

sjj14
06-14-2004, 10:13 PM
That is your tension pulley on your drive chain, just loosen nut and tighten, but like mentioned above if it has been loose for awhile you will need to get a new gear, both are easily done wihtout a trip to the sevice center. I have the same unit and always check that chain.