PDA

View Full Version : Dimension checked out ?

scweedman
06-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Has anyone had problems with Dimension this year?
I did two app. in the spring and i am starting to see crab on some accounts. I've talked to others that have not been
satisfied with it this year. Have stayed away from Pre-m
in the past because of yellow. May need to change next
year.

timturf
06-13-2004, 09:22 AM
What is pre - m? Do you mean pre emerge or the chemical pre m?

Did you apply at proper times and follow label rates and instructions?

How about more info?
dates applied, rate, ai

gravedigger5
06-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Has anyone had problems with Dimension this year?
Just put down second application of Dimension yesterday, about a week or two late in my opinion (been raining buckets lately) but first dose seemed to do well. Only places I noticed any crabgrass was around edges of yard where my coverage may have been thin or non-existent. Made sure to try and cover those areas better the second app. Had spots on yards that had never been treated untill this year where you could see the dead crabgrass plants from last season, but nothing came up this season.

Is it possible if you use crabgrass preventer repeatedly every season, that the crabgrass might become more tolerant? I wouldn't think so, but I am not sure.

Marc

Tscape
06-13-2004, 12:36 PM
You are treating the soil with pre-emergent so plant tolerances are moot.

MrBarefoot
06-13-2004, 01:50 PM
I used Dimension this year, and so far its looking good. Then again, I havn't seed the crabbies start moving yet....

James Cormier
06-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Each year crab seems to be bad, iF its really hot and dry early, the manufactors say " weather too hot to early"

Last year is rained everyday and was not hot and dry they say
" too wet and cool"

This season ( winter ) I sold a 2nd crab treatment in my program, I priced it high enough to spray acclaim, Right now I m still spraying dimension EC, but I am switching to acclaim in a week or so.

I have one street with 8 customers ( 4 on each side ) all lawns get crab and goose grass every season, Ive tried everything,I had lesco reps, uhs reps check it out , no one can explain it. 2 years ago I did blanket apps of acclaim the 3rd week in june ( no visiable crab present ) Well that worked awsome, no crab at all that season. Last year 3 people didnt want to spend the money and they didnt get the acclaim, well they are the only ones with crab and goose again.

Now I got nutshedge coming in, dammitt, so I going to try out some manange.

Everylawn is sodded (KBG) sprinklers, proffesional mowing company ( sharpe blades and all that stuff ) but the biggest pain in the butt, Ive started aer & overseeding with some ryes and thinking about introducing some black beauty tall fesuce in some lawns.

grassguy_
06-13-2004, 02:51 PM
I've had decent results so far with dimension this season with a few escapes which I attribute mostly to homeowners cutting way too short for anything to last in the soil. Nothing so far that bad that Drive won't knock out.

TSM
06-13-2004, 06:27 PM
ah, the crabgrass dilemma. Over the years i've used just about every preemergent product on the market, some are no longer on the market. And we have had hot dry spring wet summers and we have had wet springs dry summers....every kind of weather combination one can have...the joys of New England...and crabgrass will sneak in, some lawns are notorius for it.

we have been doing two apps of dimension for several seasons and it works as well as anyother product i have used in the past...meaning sometimes it works very well, some times not so well.

I've come to the conclusion long ago to use the least costly product...dimension has won our price choice again this season.

RjCjR
06-14-2004, 02:10 AM
I started out the year w/ PreM... then as the season got warmer, switched to Dimension.

Like James Cormier said... too hot, too dry, too wet, too cold. There's always crabgrass that gets by our chemical barriers.

gravedigger: the edge of the lawn is the hardest to protect because of the temps of the soil getting so high (due to thin grass along edges and adjacent concrete/blacktop) high temps are a HUGE factor in decreasing longevity. Plus the edge of a lawn usually is where the rain flows and erodes treated soil.

rich

Grassmechanic
06-14-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by MrBarefoot
I used Dimension this year, and so far its looking good. Then again, I havn't seed the crabbies start moving yet.... It's here! I was pulling a few 2 and 3 tiller plants out of a flower bed the other day.

MrBarefoot
06-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
It's here! I was pulling a few 2 and 3 tiller plants out of a flower bed the other day.

I think that sounds like good news then. If you are finding it in the beds, and I am not finding it in my customers lawns, then it appears that the Dimension worked!

James Cormier
06-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by MrBarefoot
I think that sounds like good news then. If you are finding it in the beds, and I am not finding it in my customers lawns, then it appears that the Dimension worked!

ahh dont be fooled my friend, come Mid july is when we really find out how well it worked,

You know when you pull up to the lawn :eek: what the hailabut happened

lx665
06-14-2004, 09:49 PM
I'm not happy with Dimension. I have crab grass coming up on several accounts.

John

sjj14
06-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Ive spent the majority of my Turf career as a golf course super but have recently made the switch to own my own business. The one thing I have learned is that most products "work" but conditions following applications are the key. On the golf course I had great success with Dimension where on some of my lawns not so great. I can with ,some confidence, attribute this to post application conditions. On the golf course I was in control of H2O and mowing heights etc. On residential you make the app at the correct time but if it does not rain or does rain ,depending on the products your using, you and me may not get the best results from any product. Just my two cents.

dishboy
06-14-2004, 10:39 PM
So far I have had good look on areas that had CG last year. CG germinated at least a month ago here in warm areas.

turfsurfer
06-15-2004, 08:12 PM
I have wondered about this myself. You apply a pre-emergent product and you still get some breakthrough along the edges. So, is it actually the pre-emergent keeping the crabgrass out of the lawn, or the old saying a thick healthy lawn is the best defense against weeds? Probably a little of both I would say. One app. of Dimension on all lawns and 2 apps. on my high pressure ones just to be safe. Still have to spot treat the edges though.

gravedigger5
06-15-2004, 09:56 PM
turfsurfer, what are you spot spraying the edges with?? What is good to knock mature crabgrass?? Thanks Marc