PDA

View Full Version : How far do you go to complete a job, part 2

D Felix
06-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Didn't want to post these on the other thread and change it's course of discussion.:D

Thought about titling this one as "ingenuity at work" but that would only serve to show off my ego!:p

On a job late last week, we had to extend some metal edging that the client had already installed. What he had installed was 1/8", we had 3/16". There's a BIG difference in flexibility between the two!

It would have been no problem to make the curve where we wanted it, except for a little redbud tree.

This is "thinking outside the box" at it's best.

Ended up using rachet straps. Ran two to the TV antenna, and another to a tree.:)

Dan

D Felix
06-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Here's where the curve was critical.

You can see the straps a little better here....

Dan

D Felix
06-13-2004, 11:54 AM
This was our tree anchor.

We actually had to run 2 straps to it, the short strap was too short, and the long strap was too big to wrap around the edging...

Dan

D Felix
06-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Last pic.

You can see the end of the 3/16" edging better here. Well, at least the two stakes that go in the end of it.:)

I'm not sure if we could have gotten it to bend with 4 guys. We only had two there that day, so we had to improvise as you can see....

Dan

YardPro
01-21-2005, 07:27 AM
you did drive the steaks all the way down when finished i hope?

D Felix
01-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Yep.:D

That job was so long ago, I really don't even remember what else we did besides spread mulch.

The point of the pics was to show how we were able to get the edging to bend where we wanted it to, with only 2 guys there. Like I said originally, even if we'd had 4 guys there I'm not sure we could have done it by hand.....

Dan

kris
01-21-2005, 06:55 PM
I really like it when guys improvise and get the job done no matter what. Lots of times you find yourselves in a situation that you need to do that or it will cost the company money.

The post isn't about the edging, but Dan, are you saying it was installed like that...above ground level?

D Felix
01-22-2005, 09:00 AM
No, it was pounded down. The straps were put on it specifically to get the edging to bend in the manner that we wanted it to. Once the edging was bent that way, the stakes were started and the edging was pounded in to where the bottom was resting on the ground. That's when the straps were removed. The edging was then installed like normal, with ~1-2" showing above grade.

Dan