PDA

View Full Version : mosquito program

James Cormier
06-13-2004, 02:59 PM
As some of you know I started a mosquito program this season, Had a lot of interest in it and sold alot of treatments.

I have been getting very good feed back from customers as long as the no rain for 48 hrs after treating held true.

Currently spraying lawn with pg, and then backpack spraying edges beds,house, decks and everything else.

I think its time to start thinking of growing this end of my business and I would like to improve my application method.

The folks at mosquito barrier recommend low volume sprayer so the pg seems to work well, what i was wondering is using a spray tank, lets say lesco skid sprayer with a JD-9 gun. Ive sold all my spray systems since I went to pgs so its been 4 years since Ive worked on them, and I never sprayed with a jd9 gun.

Would I be able to reduce my rates to spray at 1/2 gallon per k or lower with a typical lawn spray system?

TSM
06-13-2004, 06:16 PM
James, i dont think so. those jd9's need some pressure. we do a fair amount of tree/shrub spraying using the jd9, at a low gallon rate they tend to just dribble. not that you couldnt do it but it will definately slow down the service and you will be getting that stuff all over your pants for sure.

we started this service last season, took off very nicely this season. we use one of those saddle tanks pg sells, our are older and are 3 gallons and spray at 10ozs per 1000sf been getting nice feed back. at this concentration the oder linguers longer, then we backpack for the shrubs etc....we dont do the sides of the houses though.
this is a 2 man operation for us. one runs the lesco hydro spreader with the spayer and one does the shrubs.
we did use the pg ride-on but to be honest it slows us down. the loading and unloading is much quiker with the lesco hydro and the ground speed is the same.
we'll be doing some serious radio/newspaper advertising starting this week for this service. this service could prove to be hugly profitable. You know not every one cares if they have a nice looking lawn...but every one hates skitters!

Turf Medic
06-13-2004, 07:29 PM
I just looked at a website with mosquito barrier, they suggest using a vegetable oil when mixing, are you doing this? What kind of pricing are you using for this service? Are you giving any type of guarantee on the spraying? How often are you having to spray?

James Cormier
06-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Thanks TSM, I just ordered a powered back pack, maybe that will help speed it up, I dont like the Idea of pulling a hose again, So I glad to here that about the JD9 guns.

Turf medic, I do mix oil but no soap, seems to flow through the pg just fine, The info on mixing rates is a little confusing to me, so heres what Ive been doing with good results, when spraying with the pg I mix 2oz of garilic per K, or 8 oz per gallon. same with back pack. I may try to reduce that alittle and see if it changes results.

As far as charging, well I tried the 1.5 x's a lawn treatment, so if the lawn treatment is $90, the bug control is $145, Everyone I gave prices to signed up, So Im raising my prices, The problem is sometimes smaller lawns take more product if there is more landscape to spray.

Ive found the most important place to spray is decks, around pools and sides of houses. Most people stay pretty close to there house at night, mostly on a deck or in pool areas.

Ive sold 2 different programs

1. If you having a party on a certain date we will come in a few days before and spray and there seems to be great knock down right away.
2. ( most popular ) Come in every 3 weeks and spray, I have a few mini golf courses i do, and I spray them every 2 weeks.

Guarantee, well that differcult, right now I give no guarantees, ive told each customer this is new for me, and this season is a trial run. Next season might be different cause I going to do a Mosquito and Tick program together.

Turf Medic
06-14-2004, 01:59 PM
Sounds like this is going to be a real profit center for you. Looking at the costs of the garlic, you are going to have a better margin than other types of treatment ie broadleaf or fertilizer. We don't have a pg still using the skid sprayer, so should be an easy transition to the misquito treatments.

Have you noticed any problems with items that you have sprayed ie plants or house, deck, fence materials? Looks like other than controling costs, you could spray just about anything that isn't moving at the time :D

James Cormier
06-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Turf, Profit should be in line with fert programs, alittle more time to do the treatment and my biggest concern was working with the stinky stuff all day, i dont want my nice new truck smelling like "the pasta factory" So I do plan to add on a van and a employee just for this program.

It sounds like you dont get good results using a typical skid sprayer with a lawn gun,

Today I was thinking about the zspray, I think you can get a hose kit with that machine, I wonder if that would work, just park and hop off and spray the beds.....gotta give Tom Rich a call about that one.

No problem spraying bushes flowers and such, I do one really classey mini golf place, they spent over 80k in flowers and plants, I was very concerned but I use only a back back that has never had herbi sprayed out of it.

Of course it all comes down to how well it works, so far so good, but think about this, in the last 4 weeks its been tough getting 48hrs in with out any rain. Summer time should be better, Although thats when I want it to rain more,,,

Turf Medic
06-14-2004, 05:54 PM
I thought that it might actually take less time to spray the misquito repellent, reason being, I assumed you wouldn't need to be as careful about 100% coverage. Missed spots or even overlaps shouldn't be as critical as with fertilizer, herbicide or pre-emergent. That plus not as much worry about drift. I am definately going to check this out more.

martn
06-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Check out this franchise www.mosquitonix.com

Ric
06-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by martn
Check out this franchise www.mosquitonix.com

Martin

Not sure if you are aware of the many licensing problem here in the bug capital of America. However I believe this is one that might not need a heavy duty license. You are just selling a mechanical device that the homeowner will fill with pesticides. Selling Pesticides requires very little licensing and a sale tax collection license.

Now I am not going into how good it works because I don't know. However with the amount of Bug-a-phobic people in the world and the fact that the Mosquito is the Florida State Bird. I think this might be a big seller.

KY GRASSLANDS
06-14-2004, 10:59 PM
James, just wondering how long does the galic smell stay on the property. What i mean is would customer complain about the smell or do you even notice it?

James Cormier
06-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Oh yeh you notice it....I pre warned everone, but its not as bad as I thought.

The smell last for a few hours, then after that everyonce in a while you get a faint wiff of it.

LwnmwrMan22
06-19-2004, 07:52 AM
TSM or James -

Have either of you used Talstar to repel mosquitos?

I tried that on a few yards last year with very little results.

Living here in MN with so many lake cabins around I'd like to be able to expand this area as well, but wondering if either of you, or anyone else for that matter has a comparison with Talstar vs. Mosquito Barrier or other product?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, James, why don't you run a wand with about a 15-20' hose off the "bottle fill" on your PG? I'm sure you could work with the tips to get a decent flow rate that way. It'd work much the same way as the Z-Spray??????

James Cormier
06-19-2004, 08:50 AM
"Oh yeah, James, why don't you run a wand with about a 15-20' hose off the "bottle fill" on your PG? I'm sure you could work with the tips to get a decent flow rate that way. It'd work much the same way as the Z-Spray??????"

Hey good one, I never thought about that, I just got a battery powered backpack this week, So Im looking forward to no pumping anymore.

Ive also heard Talstar works good for this, as well as ticks, However I do like the idea of a 'Non pesticide" with the mosquito barrier.

I plan on doing a tick and mosquito program next season, from what I read about ticks it best to spray real early in the spring,( that time when your waiting for people to clean their lawn or waiting for snow piles to melt " that will be a talstar treatment, Then follow that up with mosquito barrier treatments.

Moquito program will be marketed heavy to mini golf and Ice cream stands, for summer treatments. We took the kids out for ice cream the other night ( 9pm ) you couldnt eat outside cause of the mosquitos.

TSM
06-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by LwnmwrMan22
TSM or James -

Have either of you used Talstar to repel mosquitos?

yes, before garlic barrier talstar is the product we used for mosquito control. It does a good job of knocking down any mosquitos it comes in contact with. Residual isn't all that good. So for us it was a special event type of service, you know like a wedding or graduation party, that type of thing where the talstar would have to be sprayed like the day before. But with any flying insect....tough to get the control people 'expect'.

the garlic is a repellent. it will kill on contact but the main advantage of the product, in my opinion, is the repelling factor. mosquitos just dont like it and stay away. We have had nothing but possitive feed back. we're getting lots of refferals. I do believe by this time next year we will have a seperate division for just this service.

again, the big seller here is that every one hates mosquitos...but not every one feel the need for a greener more weed free lawn. Its a much easier sell than lawn care.

we did many properties earlier in june and late may (graduation parties) where the homeowner hired us for just one treatment specifically for their party. (not something we like to do, we want to sell programs not one time deals) but we did them, much easier to schedule the service vs. talstar because we could get out there much more in advance of their party. probably 85% of those one time deals have turned into monthly service program. the stuff really works well.

Pilgrims' Pride
06-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Will somebody share the garlic secret?
I am offering mosquito & tick sprays.
I'd like to know more about the stuff.
What is it?
How exactly does it work?
Whats the best way to apply? I'm using JD-9 gun now with talstar.
Who carries the stuff?

Thanks,

Bob

LwnmwrMan22
06-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Hmmm.... might have to stop mowing grass 80+ hours a week and let other customers fingers do the walking... might have to start putting more ads back in the paper.

James -

That rate you were quoting earlier, as we had kinda swapped prices on a different thread, that $149, for a 12,000 sq ft lot??

Thinking I might be up around a penny, penny+1/2 / sq ft if I were to start running this as a program, depending on the bushes, pool, lake area....

Green Dreams
06-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Like pwodered Garlic? Garlic and nothing else? Very interesting. You spray with a backpack, James? Would it be as effective with a power sprayer with a JD9? I'd like to try it out at my house...

Green Dreams
06-19-2004, 03:56 PM
I saw the Mosquito Barrier website. Is this what you use, James? Does anyone do, or know someone who does, mosquito spraying for neighborhoods. Y'all know, from a truck mounted mister like the county sprays. I wonder what kind of money you could make and how big the market is for selling mosquito sprays to neighborhoods. Anyone have a clue? Thanks...

martn
06-19-2004, 05:20 PM
www.clarkemosquito.com

James Cormier
06-19-2004, 07:03 PM
mosquito barrier is what I use, TSM turned me on to them last season. Bob I'' talk with you early next week about it.

Stuff retails for $80 gallon, and you can get it as cheap as $45 a gallon if you get a 55 gallon drum.

Im putting it down at 3oz per K and spraying it out of my PG and backpack. So one gallon will treat 43k. The website says it should cover more but Ive been getting great results with this mix. However you just dont spray the lawn, you do beds, bushes, decks, woodpiles, stonewalls, side of house, sheds and even the driveway.

Most customers are AMAZED at the reduction of mosquitos, It turns that cloud hanging around your head to just a few fly by's

TSM do you find the 48 hrs of no rain is really needed? Are you mixing at the 3oz per K

My first order didnt seem to smell too bad, The boxes sat in my office for a weekend and you didnt even know they where there. My second just came in friday morning, When I got into the office friday night I was almost knocked over by the smell. Cant wait to spray that stuff.

TSM
06-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by James Cormier

TSM do you find the 48 hrs of no rain is really needed? Are you mixing at the 3oz per K

always tough to tell in the beginning of the mosquito season if the 48 hr no rain rule is really needed. tough to get out there when no rain is forcasted for 2 straight days.

we have had rain within 24 hrs of our treatments...no complaints from the customer

3oz per 1000?...nope, we're doing 1 oz per 1000 and we're doing 4 week intervals (label says 1 gal does 5 acres...thats .58oz per 1000?). Just talked to a customer today, we'll be out at his place on monday which makes 4 weeks, he said he has only seen a handful of mosquitos and they have appeared in the last few days. So i suppose 3 week intervals would be better...just easier to schedule at 4 weeks and a few mosquitos is tolerable.
we schedule 5 sprays-may thru sept.

LwnmwrMan22
06-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Got to wondering today....

If Mosquito Barrier isn't a pesticide, does one a license to apply it? I suppose I should check with the department of ag on this one. I'm already licensed myself, but got to thinking if one could build this up enough, how quickly you'd need someone to become licensed or if my wife could help me out if I got in a pinch.

Guess I could wait until I get my gallon this next week and see if I even like it :)

Green Dreams
06-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Ok here's my wild idea....

What if I tank mix it with my I & D mix for shrubs. Like bayleton and talstar? Or banner and orthene? can you imagine the smell combined with acephate? But could I just add it to the tank and use it as a selling tool? Charge more promising mosquito repellent with my shrub sprays. How about tank mixing it with fert and talstar for lawns?

James Cormier
06-20-2004, 07:53 PM
One problem with it is You dont get good control with chemlawn style guns, droplets too big, ( they say ) I never used tree & shrub spray systems, I thought something like the JD9 gun would work, I guess you also get better results with low volume systmems, Not sure how low you can go with a tree& shrub set up.

My local lesco has a fiberglass split 200/100 skid sprayer that would be great,its been sitting on the top shelf for months I would use the 100 for water to fill the PG and the 200 for mosquito spray.

Last winter when I was in clearwater I noticed a lawn company spraying the turf with a hose but instead of a chemlawn gun it had a long wand and was spraying out like a fan from a handcan.
I wonder what that was?

TSM
06-20-2004, 08:04 PM
jim, we used to use a wand way back when i was with chemlawn (for weed control). the wand would screw into the chemlawn gun...instead of a nozzle tip we'd screw in the wand. should be easy enough to fabricate.
this could be a very good idea....good thinkin there fella :)

Pilgrims' Pride
06-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Hey Jim, TSM,

Try westheffer they may have what you are looking for.
I have one of those wands from years ago.
It was used to spot spray broadleaf weeds.
I think thats where it came from.

turfinator
06-21-2004, 03:10 AM
Is there a reason that Mosquito Barrier isnt available in Canada? Has anyone tried to make or use something similiar for their own lawn. If so what have you tried and what if any success have you had?

firedude26
06-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Is there a pic of this wand you are talking about somewhere on the web or does one havea pic of it?

I just ordered a gallon of this misquito stuff to do my own lawn, and would like to see what type of wand you are talking about.

Thanks

TSM
06-21-2004, 07:43 PM
firedude, click the link then scroll down

basicly any wand that works on any backpack sprayer will work, if you want to attach it to a chemlawn gun you'll just need to get a female threaded adapter that fits the gun

http://www.westheffer.com/category.cfm?Category=24&StartRow=7

LwnmwrMan22
06-23-2004, 09:50 PM
James, TSM -

Just wondering.... how long did it take you to receive your product from Mosq. Barrier when you order?

TSM
06-24-2004, 07:06 AM
shipped by UPS ground, about 7 days

firedude26
06-24-2004, 08:54 AM
I orderd my gallon on Monday and it weill be delivered today so 4 days for me in Mich.

Green Dreams
06-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Alright, I'm in... I'm gonna start with a gallon and see what gives. My initial thought is to charge double lawn price.

What about a guarantee? Do you give one at all, James?

Drew

James Cormier
06-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Double your lawn app sounds good (I did 1.5x's)

Guarantee, well thats tough, you gotta explain in detail what to expect. Right now I give no guarantee, and I explain that to the customer just because this is new to me as well. I do guarantee that I apply the product in the way the lable tells me to.

ALso Ive only sold it to current lawn customers, so they trust me. I am currently working on some marketing ideas for it ( for next season ) so Im not too sure how to handle that. Im sure Ill get some non lawn care customers for next season.

Turf Medic
06-24-2004, 06:53 PM
James

I noticed on the web page for the spray, they say that you can't leave the mix in the tank overnight. Have you tried leaving it overnight? Does the product seem to be having any adverse effects on your equipment? Also I read on the site that the plants actually absorb the product. Do you think that the more applications you put on a given property that the product will build up in the plant material and give a better protection against the mosquitos?

Green Dreams
06-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Medic....more great questions you should e-mail them with....

contact@mosquitobarrier.com

Turf Medic
06-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Green Dreams
Medic....more great questions you should e-mail them with....

contact@mosquitobarrier.com

I contacted them a week ago, the email I got back stated that all the info they have on the product is on the web site. So here I am looking for answers from someone that is using the product not a sales person. But thanks for the heads up.

James Cormier
06-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Turf , I have not left it mixed over night, I dont remember reading that but Ill take your word on it.

I spray it through my old centri pg, no problems yet, I have been mixing at 3oz per k, But Im going to drop that to 2 this comming week to see how that goes. I also back pack the beds and other areas I cant get the pg on. I just got the shurflow battery back pack, thank goodness no more pumping. Well see how that works on monday.

It seems the more times you spray during the season the better control youll get.

grugreen
06-27-2004, 10:15 PM
James, Would a gas powered mist blower be agood application tool for this. Been kicking this barrier idea around awhile but afraid to pull the trigger. Don't know why the equipment cost won't eat you up. Last gave it the most thought around graduation time with all the party in back yard going on and now the 4th of july coming.

Turf Medic
06-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by grugreen
James, Would a gas powered mist blower be agood application tool for this. Been kicking this barrier idea around awhile but afraid to pull the trigger. Don't know why the equipment cost won't eat you up. Last gave it the most thought around graduation time with all the party in back yard going on and now the 4th of july coming.

From what I have read about the product, the mist blower won't work. If I am understanding what you mean by a mist blower. It will take an apparatus that will spray the product onto the vegitation in the area, the plants take in the product systemically and help provide the barrier. You would not want to be misting this product, the smell is quite strong, you would want to spray the area a few days before the "party" unless of course you are going to be serving Italian :D If you are doing this for your own use a simple $30 pump-up sprayer that you can buy at Lowes will work.

grugreen
06-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Turf medic, I was not aware the plants provided the barrier. It appeared to me that spraying the garlic on anything or area that skeeters could breed or hang out needed to be covered and what better way to completely cover than with a mist. Low concentrations are used anyway. Thanks for the imput. Just thinking, looks like a good profit center

bugpage
06-28-2004, 03:40 PM
We have worked with mosquito barrier a few years back. They wanted to run it through our automatic insect control systems. We have been looking for alternatives to insecticides with little luck. The product performed in some areas and not in others. We decided to drop the interest after so-so testing. If we can't make every customer happy then the product starts to get a bad name.

We also were approached by a company that manufacturers a cedar oil. We had similar results as with the mosquito barrier. It worked OK, but not in every application.

Ric
06-28-2004, 03:49 PM
5 pages of Posts about Mosquito's and only two poster from the Bug Capital of America. yes Florida's state bird is the Mosquito. However the state is always treating for them. Maybe we are just more used to them of maybe the States treatment plan is working. They don't seem to bother me a lot. Some people are lucky enough to have body chemistry that repeals Mosquito's. I am one of those people.

James Cormier
06-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Ric, are you the guy on the tabasco commerical pouring tabasco sauce all over his pizza then letting the mosuito bite him until he puffs up in a little ball of flame?

All you need up here in boston is to hear about is one crow with West Nile, and people flip out and keep there kids inside for 2 weeks because of those killer mosquitos

Ric
06-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by James Cormier
Ric, are you the guy on the tabasco commerical pouring tabasco sauce all over his pizza then letting the mosuito bite him until he puffs up in a little ball of flame?

All you need up here in boston is to hear about is one crow with West Nile, and people flip out and keep there kids inside for 2 weeks because of those killer mosquitos

James

The rainy season was late this year and just started. so mosquitos are not out in force as yet. The state has chicken coops all around to monitor West Nile Virus. All my life I have never been bothered like other people by Mosquitos. Sure I get bit but not a lot.

So you don't put Tabasco on your pizza? :confused: :confused:

mikesturf
06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
I used Mosquito Barrior on my property last week. Reduced the total mosquitoes population, but still had plenty of them left over. Maybe need another application or increase the volume? Not very impressed. 5,000 sf lawn with a deck and lots of trimmed bushes. I used 6 ounces of Mosquito Barrier with 6 ounces of vegetable oil, with a little Dawn soap (as the label says), with 4 gallons of water. Any of you other applicators who like this product, can you give me any advice? Use the same mixture, but double up on the total spraying?

DiscoveryLawn
06-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Mikesturf just made me nervous about this Mosquito Barrier. I bought a gallon last week but have not had time to work with it yet. I have 2 clients I have sold applications to and 2 more that I am doing at no charge (Mom's and my neighbor). I have put a lot and I mean A LOT of time into designing a full color brochure and putting together a program to agressively market this service. If Mosquito Barrier is not a consistant product, I do not know if I want to associate my name with it. I am going to do my 4 apps on Wednesday and see how it goes. I sure hope this works out!!

David

DiscoveryLawn
06-28-2004, 11:20 PM
...Also, Mosquito Barrier suggests app. rate of .58 oz/K sq. ft. but it does not seem that anyone is having good results under 2 oz. /k and some not even at that rate? What gives with the suggested rates? I am just looking for some realistic expectations. Right now I have no idea where I am going to start my application rates at. Nor do I feel comfortable putting together a price list for this service if I do not know what my material cost is going be.

David

LwnmwrMan22
06-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Discovery -

You might be jumping the gun a little.

Personally, I got my gallon, but I'm going to try it on my house, my parents, my mother-in-laws and a couple of houses of friends.

I'm not in it for this year, but I figure I should be able to work bugs out, get things working the way "I" feel comfortable with, then and only then will I decide to market it.

If you're out there selling the product and haven't even had a chance to see if it works yet........ what else is there to say?

DiscoveryLawn
06-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Lwnmwrman22, I have not begun marketing yet, I have spent a lot of time preparing materials and putting together a program all based on what I read on Mosquito Barries web site and other sites that I was able to find with testimonials and feed back from other users. I have only sold it to 2 clients that are not a family member or a neighbor. Those two clients are getting the service provided for next to nothing because they understand that they are test plots me while I work the bugs out (pun intended). I was really hoping this product would simply be what it says it is as it says it is. If the product performs as the manufacturer claims than I will be prepared to go at it with both guns. if not (which seems to be the case) I will (of course) take the time to research the product first hand with my own field trials.
I guess I am just really hoping to see the product perform as well as mosquito barrier says it will that way I can pick-up some additional revenues and expand my service arsonal.

David

Green Dreams
06-29-2004, 05:21 AM
I think Mikesturf sprayed with a weaker solution. I thought I read 3 ozs per galllon with an ounce of oil...maybe I should look again?

mikesturf
06-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Green Dreams, this is a quote from the Mosquito Barrier website,
"The formula for a 2 gallon canister sprayer is: 3 ounces Mosquito Barrier, 3 ounces Canola or other oil and 1 table spoon of soap". I mixed up 6 oz Barriet with 6 oz veg oil. Just looking for some feedback from people who have had GREAT results, not just so so results. Is a 4 gallon mixture for a 4,000 square foot lawn, with lots of trimmed landscaping, what you would recommend. At this application rate, I am covering 1/2 LESS than the 5 acres per concentrated gallon that is claimed in the website.

TSM
06-29-2004, 05:20 PM
mike, the rate you used should have done an ok job. obviously it didnt, so something else may have interfered with the results.

4000sf of lawn PLUS shrubs...is it safe to assume we're talking a total of around 6000sf of treated area?

that would have given you a rate of 1oz per 1000, which should have done ok. you did mention earlier it was a heavy infestation area. maybe you should have used 3 oz PER 1000 sf of treated area.

anything else that could of gone wrong?

weather??..no rain, right?

nozzle on sprayer?? the finer the spray the better in my experience.

Green Dreams
06-29-2004, 05:34 PM
My bad... I misread. Thanks for setting me straight....

James Cormier
06-29-2004, 07:47 PM
I think the no water for 48hrs is key. THis can pose problems as we all know working out doors. But one account forgot to shut off the sprinkler system and the lawn got watered the day after treatment and he noticed limited control. Other customers on the street had great results.

Ive talked with Norm at M.B. and he said the rates are going to vary with areas. I seem to get " great " results with 3oz per K, so Ill use that to budget the price scale. If I am able to reduce the amount in the future it will just make it more profitable.

mikesturf
06-30-2004, 08:53 AM
TSM, I'll increase the rate to 3oz per 1k. I had have no rain for 7 days since the application. Watering the lawn this morning, mowing the lawn tonight and I will reapply the increased strength solution after mowing. No rain in the forecast for at least 3 days. Will let you know how it works out.

Going to apply a free application to a couple of my best customers. Get their feedback also.

Green Dreams
06-30-2004, 12:16 PM
let us know what you see, Mike...

TSM
06-30-2004, 12:39 PM
we been doing 1 oz per 1000 on lawn areas. around 2 oz per 1000 on shrubs, decks, around pools etc.

we also have been running a 4 week program. some folks have stated that the skeeters have increased some in the 4th week, but all say it has been very tolerable during that week.

have not had any negative comments concerning this treatment. we did get started with it in May as skeeters were getting active. that maybe why we are getting away with the lower rate, i dont know.

we just did a fairly large condo complex....went with a much higher rate on that one...huge population of mosquitoes there. we did around 3.5- 4.5 oz per 1000. got a call yesterday from the management company, they say all the residents are extremly happy (but of course some had to complain about the garlic oder...some people arnt happy unless they are complaining)

LwnmwrMan22
07-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Do you guys think a guy could use "spreader-sticker" instead of the canola oil? Or do you think that's what's doing it?

Just trying to keep the amount of liquids down, and since I already got bulk sticker sitting around, figured I might try that.

I know the canola oil is supposed to "film" over standing water, just gotta see if the sticker would do it too, I suppose.

TSM
07-01-2004, 04:00 PM
we used the canola oil in the spring when things were wet and standing water was being treated. we now skip the oil alltogether. we still add the polmolive dish soap as recommended...i dont know but the soap really seems to mask the oder a bit...at least for the applicator

Green Dreams
07-01-2004, 08:47 PM
I asked about the surfactant and was told you could whatever you want. I will be using Hort oil at about .25 or .55 solution. I will do a friends tomorrow. They have a big problem, so we'll see....

grassguy_
07-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Well any results in after the adjustments on the rate for the Misquito barrier. Getting my order in this week as well since they are picking up pretty good here now. Still interested in the results everyone is getting.

BareFootLawn
07-06-2004, 08:19 AM
I've had excellent success with MB this season.
One area you guys may want to market is for weddings. I've sprayed for two so far and am starting to market directly for that service. We have alot of outdoor weddings up here and I've recieved good feedback with the product.
I've gone through many different "pricing shcedules" and have finally settled on this:
Residential
Initial treatment - $.05 sq/ft
Follow up - $.045 sq/ft
Season Contract - $.04 sq/ft
(nothing less than $36.99, that's my "service call" standard)

Commercial / Special Event
$10 gal

I spray with a 4 gal SOLO bp sprayer and mix 6oz mb / 6oz canola oil / 1 oz palmolive

Currently on my third gallon of MB with 3 more in reserve!
No callback, no complaints, customers paying on time. I use it on my yard and it's working great.
Good luck!

TSM
07-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by BareFootLawn
Residential
Initial treatment - $.05 sq/ft
Follow up - $.045 sq/ft
Season Contract - $.04 sq/ft
(nothing less than $36.99, that's my "service call" standard)

maybe I dont understand or maybe my calculator needs new batteries......
$.05 sq/ft??? thats $500. for 10,000sq ft.
is that your pricing?

James Cormier
07-07-2004, 05:14 PM
I was waiting for someone else to reply, cause you all know my math.

I assume its .005 per K then 10k lawn would be $50.00

grassguy_
07-07-2004, 08:06 PM
glad someone else made note of that too! I was going to sell off the lawn care and do the mosquito spraying at that price! LOL

Green Dreams
07-07-2004, 08:28 PM
I caught that as well. But fifty bucks for 5k ft is kinda low.

BareFootLawn
07-07-2004, 09:32 PM
That, my friends, is the reason I'm not a MATH TEACHER!!

Yes, you assumed right. Add another 0 to my formula.

It might indeed be a little low, I'm doing this for the first time this year and am trying to find what the market will bear.
I've had alot of business with the prices as they are, maybe if I raised them a bit for next year I can tell if the market still responds.
I've done this with very little marketing thus far.

LwnmwrMan22
07-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Personally I was kinda thinking about .01 / sq ft, if the stuff works. My gallon is still sitting in my garage, no time to test.:(

grassguy_
07-07-2004, 11:18 PM
got my order in so I'll see how things work once it's in. Sure hoping this will be a decent add-on service that will be a big plus going thru the rest of summer.

BareFootLawn
07-08-2004, 01:58 AM
Lwnmwrman22,
I can spray 10,000 sq/ft (4 gal) in 30 minutes.
I do my spraying in the evening after my mowing and landscaping is done. I also consolidate it so that I do between 2 - 4 at a time. Right now I only spray a couple of nights a week.
Had to start with a price somewhere, I'm training my 15 y/o son so that next year when he has his license he can take over the spraying portion of it.

Turf Medic
07-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by BareFootLawn
I'm training my 15 y/o son so that next year when he has his license he can take over the spraying portion of it.

What is the minimum age for pesticide applications in your state?

LwnmwrMan22
07-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Yep, should probably check with the Department of Ag. to see if MB is a pesticide or not. Spose it's like all the other stuff, if you're getting paid to do it, the state wants their share. :D

TSM
07-09-2004, 07:31 AM
we sell this service as a mosquito repellent and not a mosquito killer.
real grey area i suppose, but i wont lose sleep if we ever have a non lisenced person spraying it

BareFootLawn
07-09-2004, 08:31 AM
I would have to check, but other than a strong concentration of gralic extract, there is nothing in it.
It would be a shame if its regulated as a pesticide.
It does come with a MDS sheet.

LwnmwrMan22
07-09-2004, 10:20 AM
I would bet that it'll differ from state to state if it's going to be regulated or not. Like TSM stated, it's in a gray area, I think.

jdwilliams1
10-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Jim, you say 1.5 x normal app, is that per visit right?
barefoot, what is your program at .004 sq ft?

James Cormier
10-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Jim, you say 1.5 x normal app, is that per visit right?
barefoot, what is your program at .004 sq ft?

yes thats right, per app price, this winter I am changing things alittle because Im adding tick control to the program so I gotta rebudget the app prices because I will be adding talstar to the mix

jdwilliams1
10-17-2004, 04:47 PM
I just passed category in Indiana, Looking forward to heavy marketing campaign this winter and I am selling my entire lawncare business and focusing 100% on fert squirt and addons for spray, ie mosquitos, flea & tick and grub. I just pruchased and spent the last week on my new Z Plugr from Tom, I live 9 minutes from his office, that is going to be real nice. Jim, your operation seems to be what I am looking for. I hope to pick your mind a little over the next few months. The test is valuable and limiting scrubs from the industry but it does for very little in teaching the tricks of the trade, at least here in Indiana.
Thanks, Jay

James Cormier
10-17-2004, 07:18 PM
pick away Jay, just dont hold it against me that Manning cant beat my pats!!!

jdwilliams1
10-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Thanks Jim, to many mistakes in season opener, but boy do I like our chances in a rematch, maybe in AFC champ game.

I am checking tomorrow morning with Purdue, they run our Pest Prog about whether or not I can do flea and tick with a turf only certification, or if I need ornamental or another

SodKing
10-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Jim, Did you add the Mosquito Certification to your turf license? In NH, we can only get a license that the Supervisor we originally worked under possessed.