PDA

View Full Version : joint filling sand

JosephC
06-14-2004, 12:52 PM
My patio neared completion over the weekend with my cutting pavers using a rented saw - went very well. Next I was to fill the joints with sand and per the ICPI site I needed to find astm C-144 sand or C-33 sand. When I went to Lowes I found the Quikrete all purpose meeting the C-33 and could not find any sand listing c-144. Is there a standard name for it?

I bought the all purpose and it was painful trying to sweep it into the cracks since it had lots of little stones in it. It took 7 bags total with two applications but will need more (30 ft by 17 ft area). I would like to get some of the C-144 if possible and do the final sweeps with it and return the rest of the C-33.

Anyone know what the c-144 is called in layman's terms? Is the c-144 a washed concrete sand?

landscapingpoolguy
06-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Why not just use ploymeric sand? it has plastic polymeres in it that expand when water interacts with it to help locking the pavers in. I know unilock makes it.

Chuck

Rex Mann
06-15-2004, 12:17 AM
ASTM C-144 is concrete sand, or general purpose sand at HD or Lowes.

ASTM C-33 is mason sand.

ICPI says you can use either or for the jointing sand. The mason sand goes in better, because its finer. The concrete sand will take more effort to fill all the joints, but you'll get much better lockup because of the variation on size of the particles.

BTW: ASTM C-144 say 1-2% passing the #200 sieve.

Peace,

Rex

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

JosephC
06-15-2004, 09:01 AM
The bags of All Purpose sand by quikrete say it meets C-33. This is the sand with varying particles including small stones. My initial application used this but some of my joints are a little tight so the stones don't go in.

I went back to lowes last night and found Quikrete commercial grade 50 medium sand. I bought some of this and swept it into the patio. I need to compact some more and then reapply.

This sand was finer so I think it worked.

They also had a paver sand by quikrete but it was like the all purpose except it looked like clay (blue grey) with stones in it.

The paver supplier told me about polymeric but when I called back to ask more details and maybe get that but the guy on the phone said it was expensive and I should stick with sand etc.

Joe