PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Pools

DFW Area Landscaper
06-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Anyone here ever install a swimming pool? One of my customers is having one installed in his back lawn. I can't get over the price: $40,000.00.

Every time I go out to his place to mow his lawn, I see the work that's been done by the pool contractor. I keep thinking to myself, "I'm driving out here to gross $25 and this other contractor is here to gross $40,000."

I just know there's good money in swimming pools. I'd like to learn more about the business. Any suggestions?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

o-so-n-so
06-14-2004, 11:04 PM
I think after you learned the basics with a few tips and tricks throwed in from an old hand, it would be a good trade.

How much of that 40k you think is net profit to owner of the company?

Green Pastures
06-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Think of all the new and expensive tools you'll need.

There are cost's involved in every business, what you are not seeing is what is going to make or break you.

Avery
06-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Every new house here gets them. Makes them a rental machine. All ya need here is a mini excavator. Local welding shop rents out their crane truck to lower the pool in the ground. All one piece fiberglass jobs here. Sand is too loose and water table too high for any other type pool.

landscapingpoolguy
06-14-2004, 11:20 PM
hey guys,

I have installed a few:).... the money is good but, profit can easily be eaten up with poor weather, or high water tables.....Your not going to get rich installing pools......but if you have a pool and landscape install company you just might have a better chance at it.

Chuck

AGLA
06-15-2004, 06:42 AM
It is like anything else. Why stop at the pool? A builder can gross over a million on a house.

I work for a landscape company that also does gunite pools. It is not easy. You have to be a good designer knowing grading and drainage, you have to be a licensed contractor, go through the permitting process, have to have electrical contractors that know pools,.... Each pool is a slow process between permits, special excavation, steel work (needs to be structurally engineered), plumbing, gunite work, masonry work for coping and tiling the top, plastering the inside, filling it with water completely within 24 hours of the plaster for it to cure, .....

It is a big jump from mowing the lawn.

KenH
06-15-2004, 06:52 AM
I design/sell shotcrete/gunite pools for a company in CT. A gunite pool is a high end item. $40K for a pool is average, and project costs can easily reach 100K. I will try to post a pic of mine.

If someone can host the pic for me, I can email it to them. Thanks.

1MajorTom
06-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Ken just as long as you have the picture resized correctly, you will be able to attach it yourself. Just scroll down to where it says attach file, click browse, find your picture on the computer, double click on your picture, click on open, and it's attached. Hit the submit button, and you are good to go. If that doesn't work, you may send it to me at probably29@yahoo.com , and I'll post it for you.

JohnK
06-15-2004, 12:58 PM
I keep thinking to myself, "I'm driving out here to gross $25 and this other contractor is here to gross $40,000."

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison is it, or is he building the pool in 30 minutes with a $5,000 piece of equipment?

KenH
06-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks Jodi------ I thought you needed it on the web.

KenH
06-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Same one, different angle.....

BSDeality
06-15-2004, 02:33 PM
I put one in at my house last year. One piece fiberglass 16x43' kidney shaped. All and all its not a bad project, pretty easy to do. It just takes a little time to coordinate drop dates for equipment, materials, water, etc.

Team Gopher
06-16-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi DFW Area Landscaper,

Here (http://server2.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51016)was a great post by BSDeality with a lot of pics that might be helpful to you.