PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on design issue.........

o-so-n-so
06-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Look at photos

http://photos.yahoo.com/msherrilljr

The house photo just gives you an idea of setting the house is in. Large corner lot. Country style home.

1. The photo of the walkway step at road side. Question is......What would look better? A retaining wall or natural rock (dry stack look) look. Will be about 100' long and only about 1' high straight with the curb/step line.

2. The photo of the natural area under the trees. Would the black mulch be too much black if I enclosed all of the trees in this natural area, add a very large rock between the tree furtherest away and the cluster of trees then add shade plants for contrast. I will raise the canopy on the hardwoods to open it up more. So imagine more tree trunk, black mulch, a large focal rock and plants inside around tree base and rock with color in masses at border in a few places. Or would a different mulch type be better.

I like rock wall idea. (customer ask about retaining wall)
I also like black mulch to tie in but must be softened with rock and plants.

Also going with bed at utility pole location with black mulch.

I would like to get some of your ideas on this install.

thank you.................O-O

Avery
06-14-2004, 11:16 PM
I would go with the dry stack wall and dark colored mulch. Something like triple ground red oak. Then add some annual color to the natural area.

NickN
06-15-2004, 09:50 AM
My vote is for a red/grey retaining wall to tie in with the brick used for the steps.
#2 sounds like a good idea.
As for the telephone pole,can you install a bed and plant a few bradford pears to hide the pole?

walk behind
06-15-2004, 10:41 PM
I'd probably try some tall, narrow type of everygreens around the utility pole, that way they won't loose their leaves in the winter and still hide it somewhat, then perhaps smaller plants at the base of the evergreens, such as azaleas. But you also want to watch planting something that will bush out too much, since this is a corner, it could block the sight of oncoming traffic when turning from the corner. Remember the utility company also has a right of way to access that pole, so you might want to still make it accessible to them as well.