PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Wall Project Pics

GLS
06-15-2004, 02:41 AM
This is the first retaining wall we have built for hire. Please let us know what you think.

Before...

GLS
06-15-2004, 02:42 AM
Dumping some loads of gravel. CA6 and 1" clean.

GLS
06-15-2004, 02:43 AM
A few pics in progress...

The first tier is being installed along with the steps.

GLS
06-15-2004, 02:45 AM
The first tier almost complete...

GLS
06-15-2004, 02:47 AM
Another view.

I don't have any more pics yet, but the wall is complete. We still have to install a small walkway past the steps that will connect the lower patio to the upper patio.

EagleLandscape
06-15-2004, 03:33 AM
Looks great! At first I thought the wall was that railroad tie thing, and i was thinking... oh geez, what have we here?

How hard was it to do those steps? What brand of stone did you use, and how much was the final invoice price? thanks! looks awesome. putting that ez dump bed to work!

GreenMonster
06-15-2004, 08:56 AM
In your last pic, looks like you picked up the lawn account too!

Nice rig!

nice work too.

o-so-n-so
06-15-2004, 10:22 PM
What are the plans for the grade change under the window to the wall? Last photo looks like the top run on the wall is complete.

I think it looks very good. Would like to see the completed job to see how it all ties together........very well done.

edit>>>>>>>>after a second take...I see there is another tier yet to go.

dvmcmrhp52
06-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Ribbit,Ribbit,Mr. Frog says it looks good!

NNJLandman
06-16-2004, 12:03 AM
That looks like a really nice job to me man. Good job, keep doing em like that and you'll be a regular hardscape contractor. heh.

Jeff

jajwrigh
06-16-2004, 12:25 AM
I am very impressed with your work!!

GLS
06-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Thanks guys.

jwingfield2k - Steps were fairly simple. We just did one row at a time. Pack the gravel, set the blocks, glue the cap. Then make sure the next step is the same height as the rest.

THe stone we used was Creta Pave-loc. Color is buff (which homeowner chose). Not sure what the final invoice is yet because we havn't completed the walkway yet.

GreenMonster - Actually, it's viceversa. We picked up the landscaping job from mowing. We have been mowing that for 4 years or so. Great customer, huge yard. We have done a lot of projects here. We also plow the drive (long driveway). For the record, that craftsman tractor is not used for mowing (anymore:) ). Can't see it in the pic, but it is pulling a cart full of gravel. Had to be hauled quite a ways and we didn't want to push 100 wheelbarrow loads of gravel up a grade:)

o-so-n-so - Yep, there is still another tier to go in that picture (completed now). We will be starting the small walkway tomorrow, i'll snap of few pics then.

NNJLandman - we'd like to get more into this type of work. It's nice to get away from mowing once in a while. Ideally we would like to mow about 3 days/week and do landscaping jobs the rest of the time.

GreenMonster
06-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by GLS
GreenMonster - Actually, it's viceversa. We picked up the landscaping job from mowing. We have been mowing that for 4 years or so. Great customer, huge yard. We have done a lot of projects here. We also plow the drive (long driveway). For the record, that craftsman tractor is not used for mowing (anymore:) ). Can't see it in the pic, but it is pulling a cart full of gravel. Had to be hauled quite a ways and we didn't want to push 100 wheelbarrow loads of gravel up a grade:)

Yeah, I was just razzin' you on the mower:D

I have a crapsman I keep down at ballfields I mow for sole purpose of pulling drag mat.

That would have been a nice job for a Gator!

troblandscape
06-16-2004, 05:36 PM
pics look good, I hope you didnt tamp that with just the hand tamper. If you did be prepared for call backs.:cry:

odorisio
06-16-2004, 05:57 PM
looks good man, ill have to post up some pics of the wall we just did, it is a 90 foot belguard celtik wall. and we did a 480 sqfoot paver patio plus a walk way, sodded the whole yard and of course flowerbeds.

stumper067
06-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Great job on the wall, but the frog stole the show.......looking forward to more pictures..

stumper:blob3:

fall46
06-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Quick question on construction of retaining wall from (residential homeowner). I intend to use some Diamond Anchor Block and the height of each stone is 6'H I would like to go only 3 courses high maybe 2. So with a potential face height of 9 or either 15' high. How far does the backfill material need to be built up behind the wall.
Say if I went2 courses = 9' height of face wall (as half of the first course is buried right?) would the back fill only have to be 6in high behind the wall????????? Is their minmum where the backfill heightwise should meet relative to the wall?????????………What if I wanted grass behind the wall?

kbenvironmental
06-17-2004, 01:06 AM
How can people start a job without a solid bid? Excluding unforseable variables, I can't imagine not giving the customer a fixed price before I even got the contract, let alone started the work? I see that a lot in posts from guys in the mid-west and back east. Are people just more trusting back there?

D Felix
06-17-2004, 10:22 AM
I haven't figured that one out yet either. At the very minimum, we figure out a rough estimate and give that to the client and tell them it's T&M, but the estimate should give them a rough idea.

Another thing that irks me about this site is how people ask what they should charge. Markets vary so much from coast to coast in the US (and I know there are people on here from outside the US) that's it's pointless to talk money on here....

Fall46- you may be better off starting a new thread for your question. When you say backfill, are you talking gravel or soil?

Dan

fall46
06-17-2004, 10:37 AM
I assumed all material behind a retaining wall should always consist of gravel,,,,,not just any gravel but clean gravel (without fines)?

What Iam particularly curious about is how high the backfill (assuming its pea gravel or crushed 3/4 stone without fines) has to be relative to the height of the wall itself?

D Felix
06-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Not to derail the thread here, but on a wall the size you are talking, if the gravel is used to backfill the wall to 1/2 of the wall hieght, you should be fine. Use geotextile fabric between the gravel and the soil, it will help to keep the soil out of the gravel. I assume you have a drain tile behind the wall?

On larger walls, you probably want to backfill with gravel up to about 12-18" below the top course. Then you can fill the remainder with soil.

Do you have an installation manual? It may say in there how far up you need to backfill for various hieghts and wall types.....

Back to the original thread, GLS, it looks good, looking forward to seeing the "finished" pictures!

Dan

fall46
06-17-2004, 10:58 AM
I hope Iam not detering from the orginal thread but in terms of drian tile.....With the total height of the wall only being bewteen 9-15 inches (obviously depending on how many courses I end up going) is drian tile neccesary for a wall this smaill in height?

bottlefed89
06-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Agreed with D felix, talking money on here is a waste of time, one guy may have a saw and be able to cut branches off a tree, while I'll be hauling a bunch of knowledge, and about $3-$4k worth of tree trimming gear with me, our prices will obviously differ.

Back to the topic, I am impresssed with the work, very interested in some finished pics, and may look into those blocks..

D Felix
06-17-2004, 07:56 PM
I don't know exactly what the block is like that you are using, but it never hurts to put in a tile. Err on the side of caution.

You could probably do it without a tile, depending on the shape of the wall. As long as the clean fill gravel could outlet to daylight you probably would be fine. Otherwise put in a tile.

Dan

GLS
06-18-2004, 12:24 AM
We did give the homeowners an estimate before the project began. We just havn't added in the walkway and plants prices yet. I could give you the invoice amount for the wall, but I hate to give figures because I know how much it varies.

The estimate was very close to the invoice amount. It took a little bit more materials than originally estimated. It was less than $200 extra, but on a project that grosses several thousand dollars, I think the estimate was pretty close. Do you guys give a solid bid on projects like this, even if it takes more materials than estimated?

GLS
06-18-2004, 12:44 AM
Here's some pics I snapped yesterday while we were digging for the walkway.

A pic of the completed wall (coming soon: plants)

GLS
06-18-2004, 12:47 AM
I'll throw in a pic of our new truck:)

About 3750 lbs of stone in the back. It is called seattle rainstorm. It is basically a blue flagstone which will match the lower patio.

Rex Mann
06-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Nice work! Glad you're not in my market.

Peace,

Rex

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

rookiemower
06-18-2004, 02:52 AM
that wall turned out awesome, i must admit i am still intimidated by projects like that. that type of quality work ought to bring you guys a whole sh*t load of business