PDA

View Full Version : Roundup as a plant growth regulator

Decali
06-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Does anyone know the rate for Roundup as a plant growth regulator? I'd like to use it on my lawn as a cheap pgr for edging and such but don't want to kill the lawn trying to figure out how much to use.

Avery
06-15-2004, 08:09 PM
The rates are listed on the label.

LwnmwrMan22
06-16-2004, 12:26 AM
Straight, no mixing with water. You'll have some NICE growth regulation. No worries about edging.

Garden Panzer
06-16-2004, 01:31 AM
1/8 th oz per gallon...works on boxwoods, too.

CharlieBingo
06-16-2004, 09:30 AM
So you guys are saying roundup, if diluted properly works as a growth regulater wiyhout killing the plant? On lawns?

Ric
06-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by CharlieBingo
So you guys are saying roundup, if diluted properly works as a growth regulater wiyhout killing the plant? On lawns?

I have been preaching about Roundup as a growth regulator for years here on LS. Interesting enough it also works as a select weed killer on some weeds. Sand Spur is one weed controlled by Roundup at Growth Regulator Rate.

Now I would not recommend Roundup as a Growth Regulator on FINE TURF where aesthetics are important. There are many better Growth Regulators on the market, and at a higher price. Citrus Growers have used the double boom, double tank system for Decades. One tank is mixed at control rate while the other is mixed at Regulator rate. One pass kills weeds under the trees and keeps bush hogging costs between the trees down.

The History of Roundup is. It was original developed as a Growth Regulator and found to be a excellent grass Killer at higher AI. It is the most Finical successfully Pesticide every marketed and has made Monsanto Billions of Dollars.

Ric
06-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by CharlieBingo

Oops Forgot to add, I have never used Roundup as a growth Regulator on Ornamentals. However I have used it as a OVER THE TOP weed killer on many woody ornamentals. However watch out that you know which ones are not effected by Roundup.

Garden Panzer
06-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Fot turf I've found that Proxy works best, mind you I'm a cool season guy. For shrubs, I use Atrimmec, and can't say enough about it.
Turf PGR program works somethin' like this:
April 15
Oct. 17
Both aps include liquid iron/urea and mostly Fe8, www.rootsinc.com .
For shrubs, one would apply Atrimmec at 2oz/ gal- right after shearing cycle in EARLY spring.
Then one does a light fall touch up and applys @ 1 oz/ gal
Both aps have mostly Peters Pro in the mix.

On turf 14 days AFTER application one sees an 87% reduction in clippings with NO loss of color. The clipping reduction slowly decreases over 6 weeks- means an easy MAY.
Shrubs hold their shape MUCH longer as the Atrimmec causes the the plant to node more.... kinda looks like someones out there with fine clippers everyday!

These are great tools and save MUCH time and MONEY in the long run!
:cool2:

FERT-TEK
06-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Hey Garden Panzer or anyone knowledgeable with PGRS please help. I recently bought my first permagreen ultra and am learning how to use it. I posted some questions about Proxy in another thread that you might be able to answer. What type of equipment are you using to apply the Proxy? I have a Permagreen Ultra and am currently looking for a product that will work in it without using it against what the label says. My problem is the volume of water carrier. Any help would be greatly appreciated.