PDA

View Full Version : Price to Create Bed

CT18fireman
06-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Never had this request before. Usually we do everything including plantings and mulch.

This customer wants a bed created in an oval about 15 x 20 ft. Conditions are grass and it used to be a farm so should be easy work. He wants the sod cut out and the whole bed turned and prepared so he can plant.

What do you guys think?

I may have a mini x on the job doing a retaining wall so I need to know a price both by hand and with a machine so I can give him teh correct one.

Lombardi
06-16-2004, 06:01 PM
$150.00 for the sod removal. $75.00 for the tilling plus cost of compost.

landscapingpoolguy
06-16-2004, 07:11 PM
I would just till the sod right into teh ground and let it compost itself....a good tiller will tear up everything nice and fine....easily 150- 200$

D Felix
06-17-2004, 09:11 AM
You need to kill the grass before you either till it or remove it. Otherwise you will get grass coming up through the beds.

If you are doing the planting, my recommendation would be to spray the grass with Round-up (assuming you are licensed to spray), then come back the next day and plant it. Mulch right over the grass.

If the client is doing the planting, you would be better off stripping the sod, then tilling. Yeah, in theory a good tiller will tear it up pretty well, but even our 4' PTO driven tiller won't shread all of the sod clumps. I'm still pulling them out of my garden....

As for price, it's like every thing else. Figure what equipment you will need, your materials, and how long you think it will take multiplied by your hourly rate. What someone else on here says to charge is what they would charge, and they don't have the same overhead and expenses that you do.....

Dan

CT18fireman
06-17-2004, 01:37 PM
I definately am going to remove the sod. Just the kind of customer this is. I know that with the mini x it will only take minutes and just trying to come up with a fair price for the work.