PDA

View Full Version : Going to ALL Liquid????

ChicagoLawn
06-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Anyone else think the grass IS GREENER on the other side of the fence?

I have been using Lesco fertilizer products for the past 5 years, things have been good! But... as I see several other properties completed by TG/CL they look a deeper green color. Is the liquid formulation of a fertilizer more effective? I realize we can create a "custom" blend with additional Iron, etc. to enhance performance/overall turf appearance and not to mention health when using a liquid formulation.

Anyone ALL liquid?

Why not ???

Thanks in advance!

ChicagoLawn

royallandscaper
06-16-2004, 08:30 PM
I've been thinking about going all liquid for awhile now but haven't so far. I use all liquids on some properties and do notice alittle more difference than granular fertilizers.

I usually see results alittle faster and liquids are suppose to be better for reducing nutrient loss from leaching.

Typically I like Nitro +K and also X-Xtra Iron, applied together gives me the really dark color.

TG/CL with a nice healty dark green lawn??? sure they weren't using spray paint? :laugh:

Rodney

utlemming
06-17-2004, 01:27 AM
There is a problem with all liquid. I would avoid them. The immediate green-up is because all the NPK is delivered to the plant immediately. If you want to have a great lawn try hunting down some of the Leabon Greenview fertilizer lines. They are slow-release. Most of my customers report that it is a slower green-up, but it provides for uniform, dark color and consistant growth. In fact some of their formulations include Dimension and Trimec. The other problem that you run into when you use liquids is that you have salt burn issues. Since the fertilizer has no slow-release, then it is higher in salts. Between the salt and the nitrogen you could burn a lawn if you apply during the hot part of the year. Further, you'll notice that you'll get burst of growth instead of consistent growth. If you use an IBDU or methyl slow-release program then you won't have the leaching. The other advantage that you'll get is that you won't have to apply as often.

Runner
06-17-2004, 01:28 AM
Just a higher rate and faster release. It's still junk. You have GOT to have that K up there. That's the only way to go.

Garden Panzer
06-17-2004, 01:47 AM
I use allot of liquids BUT they tend to go over IBDU apps!
:cool:

TSM
06-17-2004, 04:19 PM
we used to be all liquid.
there are many forms of slow release N in liquid (it aint ALL urea folks)
we stopped for several reasons, some of which are;
safety- ever have a 400gal tank spring a leak? aint no fun!!

speed of app- ofcourse its quicker using granular, and with the equipment available today (ride-on, Z-sprays, etc) we can still apply liquid control products as we apply granular fert

less wear and tear on the trucks- 400gal tank filled will weigh around 3800lbs. thats hard on suspension/brakes. I see a guy the other day with a 300/100gal split tank on a 1/2 ton chevy, ouch!

general public 'thinks' granular products are safer- so we go with the flow on that one

storage- unless you're using soluable urea you will need a large holding tank for that liquid fert, then of course you'll need a system to protect the environment if that tank springs a leak, this gets costly!

probably other reasons we swithed from all liquid....but you get the idea?

grassguy_
06-19-2004, 08:44 AM
LOL, Exactly what TSM said. That weight in trucks over time will tear them down easily. Pulling a hose to do everything gets old too. If the tard only has a few eeeds you're still applying a weed control to the entire when its not needed. Wasted material and not to environmentally concious. I used to use liwquid and could mix pretty much for any NPK I wanted but for time to load and getting out daily, dry is much faster and easier to handle.

TSM
06-19-2004, 09:59 AM
:)
grassguy, ever real in a hose to find it pulled an azalia out of the ground as you were realing it in. lol
not to mention the daffodils and other flowers that folks grow in the weirdest places, that hose will snap those flower stems with little ease.
lol...ah, the good ole days

ChicagoLawn
06-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the professional feedback!

It makes total sense to me and my operation to remain granular fertilizer & liquid herbicide. It seems as if I should research and experiment a little more with the granular fertilizers in our marketplace. Can anyone step me through the fertilizer/ratio's for each round within a 5-6 round program?

I'm sorry but in the past I have turned a blind eye and relied heaviliy on Lesco for the "fertilizer of choice" for each round. Again I am satisfied with Lesco products, just trying to improve!

ChicagoLawn

Neal Wolbert
06-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Our company has successfully applied liquid lawn fertilizer for many years for many reasons. To name a few; the blend of fertilizers is our choice, not a supplier---additives like micronutrients and soil surfactants are easily included day by day---we believe we deliver more "on target" applications knowing that product movement into bodies of water is a big concern in our area and will probably be regulated soon---we can spot treat with another liquid, i.e. herbicides etc., with a hose in hose injector system, minimizing pesticide use---liquids set us apart from the competition and takes us out of the pricing issue. If you're still considering the liquid option and want to talk some more, let me know. Neal

Ric
06-20-2004, 03:16 PM
I don't think you can talk method of fertilizing unless you look at the soil and it's properties. Now I am on a low CEC sandy soil and have tried all Liquid. I am back to a 70% slow release granules. However that is not to say all liquids can not work on a Organic clay soil.

TLS
06-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Only thing Liquid is better for is actually killing a weed.

Nothing beats a liquid for that.

Everything else can be done just as good, sometimes even better with granular.

By the time you add up all your equipment costs and handling costs of liquid, the cheapness of it levels out with granular real quick!

cemars
06-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Runner
Just a higher rate and faster release. It's still junk. You have GOT to have that K up there. That's the only way to go. Wrong! Coron is 70% slow release and better quality than most granular fertilizers. You can ad as much K as you want, along with micro-nutrients, liquid lime, organic matter, etc.

Ric
06-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Been There and done that with the Coron. Once again soil CEC will make the difference. If your soil has no chemical holding power, liquids will leach out.

Runner

You are 100% right on "K" However I want Potassium Sulfate

Now with the advent of new spreader like Perma-Green etc. the industry is going back to granules. Now I have cab overs with Hydra cell pumps and I am going back to granules. Tremor said many years ago that the best set up was an enclosed trailer with a spreader. I now agree with him.

Neal Wolbert
06-22-2004, 01:54 AM
Ric, Any of those cab overs and hydra-cells for sale? Neal

Ric
06-22-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Neal Wolbert
Ric, Any of those cab overs and hydra-cells for sale? Neal

Neal Wolbert

Everything is for sale at the right price. However I don't think it would pay you to come to Florida from Washington. No plans to sell them right now.

greenerpastures
06-22-2004, 08:21 AM
I've tried the Coron product too. It works, but at a price that is prohibitive on larger properties. Can you make it pay? Helena is the Coron distributor in this area. Their sales rep does everything possible to push it plus their surfactants (proprietary products are high profit to them). Finally, I asked the sales rep to prove the economics of coron vs. granular on achieving a minimum of 5-7 units of N in a season and he hasn't mentioned it again. I do think it has a place on small area, high input accounts, but those are few in my business.

cemars- Are you applying the coron through your zspray?

cemars
06-22-2004, 03:47 PM
cemars- Are you applying the coron through your zspray? [/B][/QUOTE]I haven't used Coron through the Z but have sprayed liquid iron mixed with PGR's. We mostly apply liquid to parking lot islands, steep hills, curb strips and 1-10k properties were it is not practical to use the Z-Spray. For every thing else, granular through the Z-Spray or push spreaders and weed control as needed.

Neal Wolbert
06-23-2004, 02:00 AM
Ric, Actually, I just bought a new Isuzu and Tuflex rig in Florida so let me know if you decide to sell. I need at least one lawn rig right away. Neal

Ric
06-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Neal Wolbert
Ric, Actually, I just bought a new Isuzu and Tuflex rig in Florida so let me know if you decide to sell. I need at least one lawn rig right away. Neal

Neal

My riggs are old TrueGreen Trucks that have been total gone thur and many changes to fit my needs. Of Course all new paint. A minor partner in my nursery is quite the mechanic and machinists. I have a source for used TrueGreen trucks. This source is for ever tearing off the Spray Equipment and putting flat beds on the old trucks. I have a lot of parts off this trucks including electric SS hose reel and Pumps. Too bad you are so far from me or I could hook you up.