PDA

View Full Version : What would you have charged for this job?

kbenvironmental
06-16-2004, 11:59 PM
New install: (7) tons gravel, (2) tons rip-rap, (15) 5 gal plants, (2) 24" box trees, 3yds exposed aggregate/colored driveway extension(including 4"abc compacted), drip, 6 station timer, and 2 valve box stubbed to back yard.

Bid the hardscape separate so we can compare apples to apples payup

ps: several cacti spines came home with me ;)

http://www.worldwidegarage.com/userpics/10131/Harris%20front.JPG

http://www.worldwidegarage.com/userpics/10131/P5240047.JPG

two_planks
06-17-2004, 01:26 AM
I'd say $1,365,249.01

kbenvironmental
06-17-2004, 01:34 AM
ummm I think someone is a plank shy .....eh :p

o-so-n-so
06-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Labor= $5000.00 includes new walkway.

Supplies costs what ever they cost in your area.

Irrigation is a shot in the dark for me.....don't do it.

I'd say about 6500.00 total invoice.

Paul Corsetti
06-17-2004, 10:28 PM
labor seems a little high for my area, concrete work labor is not much 2 men {1 labor 1 journey men concrete man 75per hr both} all mat at your are cost, here 72$a yard concrete, irragation 50$per hr 1labor 1 crew leader or journey men ,plants at cost plus 10% need to know how long you expect to take but a guess 3800 labor plus mat.

desertrat
06-18-2004, 08:38 AM
7tons gravel installed $460 $30-$35 for rock, $30 install
2-tons rip rap installed 200
15-5gal. plants $15 each plus plants
2-24" box $120 each plus tree
Assuming you are adding to existing front irrigation, 2 valves to the back $350 each zone, plus timer.Why 6zones?
No idea on price for aggrigate.
Assuming $20 plants, and $150 box trees, I would do it for around $2500-$2800. 2 laborers 1.5 days @$7hr =$168 Around $1200-$1400 profit. Oh, gotta add in the timer. Good to see someone on the site from Arizona. Hot enough for ya?

kbenvironmental
06-21-2004, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the responses guys(gals) who knows these days ;)

Wow what a range 1 million+ to $2800 ...hmmm
This small of a job takes 2 days dig to finish with a crew of 3 including cement work. No irrigation was previously installed. The only additional charge on this job, written into all my contracts is for a hard-dig, on one of the trees. We hit 2' tip of a rock that looked to be the size of a sedan front end and were limited moving the hole by utility easment and HOA guidelines (Gotta love HOAs!)

Desert: Nice to see a local too. I pay the same for 2-zone or 6-zone timers so I win brownie points by giving the customers an upgrade. Both zones are for the front. (1) drip to trees, (1) drip to succulents/brush then just 1, 2 or 20 gal per hr heads as needed. The cacti drip will be terminated after the first summer.

o-so: you are just under what was bid minus the hard dig fee.

I don't care for hourly journeyman. I prefer paying by piecework, reducing variable costs and working with fixed costs whenever possible. Of course I am fare and adjust their pay for weather and circumstances beyond their control.

EagleLandscape
06-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Gotta love that AZ landscaping. I was in Tuscon and Pheonix and some other place last year when I toured with this band. And that state is hot as hell!!!! Even in November it was pretty warm. I would venture to say its worse than Dallas or Houston.

And you all had some mountain that was on fire, and the town just let it burn, I was kinda in awe of this massive-mountain-on-fire. Ayways. Looks like a really quality job, good work! And thanks for the pictures.

HayBay
06-21-2004, 02:59 AM
I have a question.

I seen a show on tv about people removing their lawns for the Desert look Because of water restrictions. The host of the show went on to say the Landscapers loved it because they had more work to do.

I dont understand how you make any more money once you are completed the job. Is there repeat business now for you with that customer?

I dont know if the show was pertaining to your area or not when I mentioned water restriction.

Thanks.

Mark McC
06-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Well, there's more work at the moment generated by people switching over to xeriscape. Down the line, they may have less work, or the reworking of existing xeriscape may keep them as busy as they were with green stuff.

kbenvironmental
06-21-2004, 10:40 PM
I posted to see what responses were like from different areas of the country.

jwing
Thanks for the comments. Yes, AZ is hot, but it only gets above 115 for 30 to 45 days a year. :blob2: 90 days a year it is in the 90s to low 100s and the rest of the time it ranges from 60s to 80s for the high. We have no humidity, hence the nice cars :p and dead tourists :confused: every summer. They serve as kinda like a sparrow in a mineshaft for the locals reminding us to hydrate or die.

The fire you referred to was in an area inaccessible to ANY VEHICLE with the average boulder being the size of a car/house. Once they guaranteed the observatory and the town, nature does a pretty good job of cleaning up the scrub brush. It is already AZ green again....somewhat.

haybay
Most of the valley is built on a dry lakebed/old farmland that all the snowbirds/newbies landscaped to mimic back east or the midwest. Grass and trees everywhere. There is a major shift to xeriscape designs that virtually all new development must adhere to. The average is no more than 10% of the lot can be sod, and an ever-tightening list of native plants both front and back. After all we ARE in a desert. No water restrictions here yet though. You are probably refering to Vegas or eastern SoCal.

All the yards being re-planted in more appropriate plants are older and probably needed a freshening-up anyways. I'm working on a 2 acre scrape and scape right now. There will always be enough work in the valley. Heck, I expect to get a sub-bid from a forum member for that very job this next week.

HayBay
06-24-2004, 09:02 AM
thanks for that info, was just curious.