PDA

View Full Version : Just landed a big job

stxkyboy
06-17-2004, 01:15 AM
I just sold a job today that calls for 25 grand in materials. The guy wanted me to design some landscape for him and i came back with a redesign of his entire yard. He looked at the design and was like this is awesome and gave me the go ahead. Ill try to get some pics up. The best part...this means a bobcat:)

kbenvironmental
06-17-2004, 01:17 AM
First off....congrats!

What was your total bid? Would you post a scan of the plans? I'd love to see designs from other parts of the country.

D Felix
06-17-2004, 09:24 AM
I hope you are getting your materials wholesale....

bottlefed89
06-17-2004, 02:45 PM
congrats, I've got a bobcat buying deal in the works too, hope everything works out for you.

DLS1
06-17-2004, 03:57 PM
I just notice you are 18 yrs old. Has anyone looked at the bid to double check your estimate like your dad or ?. I don't know if I would have been confident of making a $25,000 bid at 18 without someone else checking how I came up with the $ amount.

Do you have General liability and property insurance to protect yourself if something goes wrong like running the bobcat into the garage door, breaking a water line while digging or breaking the irrigation system,etc.

EagleLandscape
06-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Make sure to get the owner of the residence to pay for ALL material costs upfront as well. Id like to see what all you are installing. 25k of materials at a residence that already has some landscape is still a HUGE project.

Mdirrigation
06-17-2004, 04:53 PM
So basically you sold a $ 75,000.00 job. I base that on 1 third materials , 1 third labor and the final third as profit . Make sure you have a contract , a well written contract , covering everything from payment, guarentee , etc. The main thing is to cover your own butt. A job that size can make or break a small operation. Do not work off your money . Good luck

J Hisch
06-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Sorry to say it but i dont see it? Is this a fish story?

stxkyboy
06-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Actually i am nineteen years old and no this isnt a fish story...here is a job i did last year http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50961

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50961 (http://http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50961)

That job was about 40 in materials

The materials are 25 grand and labour is 25 per man hour.

I hate to break it to you guys but the landscaping biz is not rocket science anybody with the persistance determination and a little common sense could do this.

And yes I am getting all my materials wholesale. The client is a cardiologist ( my dads partner) with money to spend on his yard

Mdirrigation
06-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by stxkyboy

I hate to break it to you guys but the landscaping biz is not rocket science anybody with the persistance determination and a little common sense could do this.

And yes I am getting all my materials wholesale. The client is a cardiologist ( my dads partner) with money to spend on his yard [/B]

I Would have to disagree , the business end is the hardest part , I know a lot of great tradesmen that are lousy businessmen. They sell them selves short. First you are working for your dads partner , you didnt land the job , you were given the job. At $ 25.00 per hour all you are doing is making wages, no more. The mark up on the plants should be at least 50 per cent. In a previous post I stated that the job should be around $ 75,000 based on materials , that was assumung that the 25,000 was retail cost. Do you realize that at 25 an hour , based on a 40 hour week , thats only $ 1000.00 . Now if you are using equipment , you will be making less because it will be quicker .
Your work may be good , dont sell yourself short by working by the hour on large projects. Since you are working for family and or friends of the family you probably feel compelled to work for less . There is a very old rule in business , never work for family or friends, and if you do charge them the same as anyone else.

D Felix
06-18-2004, 08:57 AM
I hate to break it to you, but even though it is not rocket science, there is still science involved. Plants suffer from diseases, fungus, bacteria, insects, and a lot more. Plants need oxygen, water and essential nutrients to grow. It takes knowledge (not common sense) to know how to fight off those diseases and keep everything else balanced well enough to keep the plant healthy.

Can you even name 3 or 4 micronutrients? How does pH affect their availability? I'm not going to say if you can't answer those two questions you have no business in the business, but it should start to prove my point that there is a fair amount of science behind what we do.

Oh, and I agree 100% with Mdirrigation!

Dan

DLS1
06-18-2004, 09:47 AM
[i]Actually i am nineteen years old and no this isnt a fish story
The materials are 25 grand and labour is 25 per man hour.

And yes I am getting all my materials wholesale. The client is a cardiologist ( my dads partner) with money to spend on his yard [/B]

Another teenager that has it all figured out and doesn't need advice but just wants admiration from everyone about his great business skills. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jwholden
06-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Hey,

All comments aside, I'm jealous!

kootoomootoo
06-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Bragging about doing a job for your dads partner .......priceless.

stxkyboy
06-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Yeah no matter what u guys say im doing a job bigger than 90% of the people on this site even dream of.

Mdirrigation
06-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Well the size of the job is irrevelent, its the profit margin. I can havve all the free work that I want. I am happy you have a large job. I would rather have ten $ 1000.00 jobs in a week than one $10,000 job that takes 2 weeks. the statement that 90 % of the people on thes board dream of a job that size is pretty bold , since you dont know that many people .

capital
06-19-2004, 07:48 AM
Would agree with Mdirrigation above that based on the numbers you are throwing out their and the comments you are making that you are basically making time. Now you are going to buy a skid loader.................I wish you luck but suggest you should start investing time in figure out the actual cost of your operations and where you are heading...................IE not next month or even 6 months but 12-24 months out. Why are you buying the skid loader and what jobs do you have comming behind that to justify adding the additional cost and insurace. Sit down and see if the skid loader really saves you money or is ging to cost your bottom line more.

BareFootLawn
06-20-2004, 09:55 AM
You are gaining so much great experience. If used wisely, you can really launch a great business in this.
As far as rocket science:
How's everything going to look in 2 years?
5 year? 10 Years?
If you don't put some knowledge of "science" into this, your going to have alot of stunted plants and drainage problems in the future.
I've seen landscapers that made it look good enough to collect the check, but then were in court 2-3 years later.
Profit Margin:
I will take my lawn installations at $.22 per sq/ft over $25 an hour any day of the year.
I can usually knock out two of them a day.
1/3 material
1/3 labor & equipment
1/3 profit
Not exactly rocket science, unless of course... you had to figure it out.
I will admit, you seem to be off to a good start.

kbenvironmental
06-21-2004, 12:13 AM
First off, I don't judge anybody without sitting back and watching them, so I'll go off of what you tell me in good faith. I have some questions that I'm sure you'll see will help us see where you are coming from.

Is 25k in materials retail or wholesale? How large is your crew? @ $25 per man hour with a crew of 5-15 laborers you may/will start returning a respectable profit, but what is your break-even point to justify purchasing heavy equipment? Am I to assume this is your second "big" job? How many jobs do you do per month? What parts are you subbing out, if any? Are you licensed, bonded and insured? What are your warrantees? Do you do all forms of hardscape, grading or just softscaping/organic? To better understand your situation, we'd need to have a better understanding of your business model.

Your comment on the size of job relative to other's reflects a lack of judgement, something best reserved until you know who you are talking to. Many landscapers find a niche(eg:track homes) and stick with it. That doesn't make them inexperienced or less able to guide you.

I agree you are off to an exciting start regardless of where you landed any jobs. The fact that you landed a second job is a hint that on the surface, your work is good.

What I would be most interrested in is what resources you are using to help you with calculating your profit margin, risk assessment on new types of jobs (eg: utility breaks, hard digs), surrounding yourself with reputable subs, etc...

Do you have a business plan?
Incidentally, what is your company name?

EagleLandscape
06-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by stxkyboy
Yeah no matter what u guys say im doing a job bigger than 90% of the people on this site even dream of.

That's fine, but I do jobs smaller than that, and still make more money than you. Hmmmm....

stxkyboy
06-21-2004, 12:05 PM
My company name is im a college student studying premed at Xavier University. I just happen to enjoy doing landscaping and am perfectly happy making a couple thousand dollars for a few weeks of work. Im sorry if it sounded like i was buying a bobcat ill just be renting it for a few weeks, which is fun enough for me. The only reason I do landscaping is it is a summer job that i really enjoy and I cant get 50 bucks an hour anywhere else. I didnt mean offense i was just a little pissed off that people dont believe a 19 yr old is capable of doing this type of work. And if any of you guys still want to give me grief about the fact that im not making as much as you...talk to me in fifteen years

EagleLandscape
06-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Haha, i like the last last comment. I am too going to be going into medicine, I'm just doing this right now because I am in charge of my own scedule while I'm in school, and hope to establish my company right now to have as well when I get into denistry.

odorisio
06-21-2004, 01:18 PM
are you licensed and insured? sure it may just be a summer job, but what about taxes, it would suck for in 15 years when you are richer then all of us and we are doing your grounds maintenance the irs comes and eats you up for 4 years of no taxes * interest.

im only 18 as well, but i am licensed, insurance is in the works as well as chem app licenses.

but then again, im not going to premed school so i probally dont know what im talkin about.

JohnK
06-21-2004, 01:42 PM
My company name is im a college student studying premed at Xavier University.

Sounds like that means you don't actually have a business, are you going to pay taxs on your $25 / hour?

And if any of you guys still want to give me grief about the fact that im not making as much as you...talk to me in fifteen years

With the attitude you've displayed here I wouldn't want you as my doctor. In 15 years you might have your medical bills paid off (or is daddy paying them for you?). You sound like a very typical teenager who's convinced they know everything.

odorisio
06-21-2004, 01:47 PM
(or is daddy paying them for you?).

i wanted to ask but didnt want to start something.

i know a few kids arround here that are "landscapers" and daddy buys their truck, lawn equip, ect. ect. ect. but i guess more power to them, :rolleyes:

stxkyboy
06-21-2004, 03:11 PM
No my dad hasnt paid for anything and of course i pay my taxes

kbenvironmental
06-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Q: How do you pay taxes on wholesale materials without an EIN? Personal taxes are calculated at a different rate. How do you buy wholesale without a business license? These are questions the IRS and more importantly, your friendly state and city tax departments would ask you. If you don't think they don't lurk on these forums you are mistaken. AZ is currently in the middle of a crackdown right now on unlicensed lanscapers.

On a happier note:

By your comments I'll assume your father is a physician, along with your client. Ask them why they have liability insurance. I am sure you already know why, but you obviously haven't felt the sting of having something "bigger than you anticipated" go wrong.

Don't answer this next question. Instead, think long and hard then go talk to dad, seriously. Are you claimed as a dependant on your parents tax return?

If so, you have exposed your parents personal income and property to a liability claim by anyone that may want to sue YOU for anything you may or may not have caused while doing landscaping. If you break a main, hit any utility, injure or damage anything you run the risk of being sued. It will take all of 30 seconds for the claimant's lawyer to see who has deeper pockets, your company(you) or your parents. Since you don't have blanket liability insurance, are a student and claimed as a dependant, they will foot the bill. This is where you DO want dad to pull strings, get a favor or just help you get coverage. Get a blanket (minimum 1 million dollar policy) Sever ALL "tax related" ties with your parents as a dependant, set up an LLC and sell your truck to your company.

This eliminates your parents from being crushed by a lawsuit, frivolous or not and minimizes your personal liability while giving you a huge write off.(eg: you can now write off the FULL value of your truck on your 04 taxes. Oh, BTW, now your company can pay for a percentage of your food, gascard, health insurance, truck insurance, etc, etc ...

You may work hard as a 19 yr old, but working hard doesn't get you ahead without working smart too. There are many very intelligent, degreed, certified or vastly experienced people on the forum you could learn from. But what do I know, I'm just a computer engineer that started my company as a hobby.

desertrat
06-22-2004, 01:32 AM
I wrote a bunch of stuff about what you have said, and commented on your arrogance, and lack of understanding, but then I remembered that you are only 19, and in 20 years you will look back at this time and feel a little stupid. Good luck, you are obliously intelligent, hopefully you gain a little wisdom. Come on, you go on a landscaping website and say it isn't rocket science.

kbenvironmental
06-22-2004, 07:33 PM
O Rat, now yr just being AZ hospeeetable :p

BareFootLawn
06-22-2004, 11:42 PM
I'm actually a surgeon saving up money so that I can afford to buy some equipment and eventually get into landscaping.

I do breast enhancements.

(I can't believe I just wrote that...)

mexiking
06-22-2004, 11:50 PM
cool barefootlawn...
feeling those little breasties and making them bigger... thats hot

PRapoza451
06-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Not knowing your costs/overhead etc... The only one who will know if you make money on this job is you and you may not even know. Having said that, at $25.00/hr. most landscape companies don't break even. Usually breakeven is around $28-30/hr. Assuming your paying workers comp, liability, taxes and an average wage of $12-14/hr. I'm shooting from the hip so don't quote me on any of these numbers but they are pretty close. Every operattion is different. Generally, the bigger the crew the lower your break even per man hour. When I say bigger I mean 20 or more production people. If you do less than 1 million a year you are a very small business. Self employment tax is a third plus state tax and workers comp etc... If you pay all that stuff you'll be lucky to pocket $12.00/hr.

P.S. My guess is your right about 90% of the guys here. Most are jealous even if you don't make any money. But who cares? Who are you trying to impress?

hoyboy
06-24-2004, 06:07 AM
Geez, guys. Give the kid a break. Good going guy. Knock em dead.

DLS1
06-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Hey HoyBoy, this is about business tough love for stxkyboy. The quicker he learns from his mistakes the better. I would rather someone tell me what I am doing wrong and how to improve my bid process next time instead of hearing 'great job'.

odorisio
06-24-2004, 02:40 PM
no doubt his work looked good, im not knocking that... but as far as business stuff and arrogance attitude.. that could use some work, and no im not jealous, i maintain 4 properties over 2million. 10,000 sq foot homes on the james river.

C&J landscape
06-24-2004, 04:21 PM
As far as having a license and insurance...Most of my large jobs/ customers first make sure that I have both. If customers are putting up that kind of money they want to know that they will not be liable for anything years down the road.
As for getting the large job thats great, wish you all the luck! I could use a job that size right about now.

D Felix
06-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Yeah no matter what u guys say im doing a job bigger than 90% of the people on this site even dream of
I read that on Tuesday night, got offline and started pruning my tomatoes in the garden. I thought about that comment the whole time I was doing that. Combining that comment with the whole overall attitude you have displayed thus far really pissed me off!

I guess I'm part of the 10% that doesn't dream about jobs that size.... You see, I've DONE jobs that size, much bigger in fact. The very FIRST job I ran, as a foreman, took well over 6 months to complete, and ended up being over $300k by the time all was said and done. I'm surprised I didn't turn into an alcoholic with that job..... There were several more I was involved in with that employer that were well over $100k. In terms of headaches, stress level, and general ease of work, I'd much rather have a $5k job than a $100k job! But, again, whaddoIknow???

And, finding out that you are in premed really pissed me off even more. I'm not pissed that you will be a doctor, more power to you on that. What pissed me off is that you are obviously not in landscaping for the long haul. I started a thread a while back with people like you specifically in mind. Maybe you might want to do a little light reading....http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71469

What it boils down to is that you are in it for a quick buck, taking work away from those of us that are doing this for a LIVING, relying on this line of work to pay our everyday expenses. Types like you do work that the rest of us end up fixing a couple of years down the road, 'cause "little Jonny" (sometimes it's big "Jonny") didn't know what in the h*ll he was doing. In general (maybe not you specifically), people like you do NOT hold proper licenses for the work they do, are NOT DOT compliant, and really do NOT care about anything other than how fat their wallets are. They also could care less about improving on their knowledge about the industry and everything related to it.

As I alluded to in my earlier post, no, it's not rocket science. But then again, only rocket science is rocket science. Rocket science is fairly cut and dried; you have a rocket of XX size, you add fuel of YY amount, it goes ZZ distance. Plants, however, are generally not so cut-and-dried (unless you are in to that sort of thing....:rolleyes: ). They are living beings that require many, many different things to live, and if those combinations are not just right, the plant does not thrive. There's a LOT of science behind what we do, whether you realize it or not. Take a plant physiology class if you doubt it. See how fast your eyes roll back in your head because when you realize you are in over your head.

What I'm getting at is you don't appear to care about the longevity of your work. From the way you talk, you think it's easy money, and it doesn't matter that you won't be around in a few years. Come talk to us in 5 or 10 years when you are a bigshot doctor, especially after your father's partner has to have 80% of what you put in re-done 'cause you screwed it up the first time. Maybe then you will realize you should have listened.... DLS1 said it best:Another teenager that has it all figured out

Dan

stxkyboy
06-26-2004, 10:32 AM
I was kinda hoping you would post dflix. I always found it amusing that the guy who seems to respond to every post is actually just someone else employee. In fact ive been wondering about your credibility ever since I saw ur, well i mean ur bosses "organization system" http://lawnsite.com/attach/42/21275.jpg What landscaper would use something that takes up an entire truck bed to hold some shovels. Ive worked for one of the top landscape architects in the Greater Cincinnati area and we did plenty of huge jobs...but unlike you i never acted like I was running the show by posting about it. Im doing this job because I enjoy it. I enjoy doing a big job because I get to manage all the different aspects of it from start to finish....something your boss does. As for screwing things up dont worry about that the job i did last year I got it because some "professional" screwed it up the first time. I always make sure my work is to the highest quality as im sure your boss does too.

stxkyboy
06-26-2004, 10:43 AM
I also do not understand this attitude that you should be immune to competition. I mean if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen.If some guy with a pickup truck decides to start a biz I say more power to him. He atleast has the motivation to go out own his own, take the risk and run his own company.

You have made my day...here i have some 25 yr old, ur a whole 6 yrs older, who is an employee of a company lecturing me because im happy to to have a job that I sold and get to manage on my own:blob2:

Rest assured that my work is of as high quality as all oyu professionals....and flix you keep your boss happy:angry:

Thanks for the laugh flix

odorisio
06-26-2004, 10:57 PM
but you didnt sell the job, your daddy gave it to you.

stxkyboy
06-26-2004, 11:06 PM
My dad didnt give me anything bud.
I got this job through private conversation inwhich it came up that I had done landscape work.

In most circles this is known as having connections:angry:

D Felix
06-26-2004, 11:14 PM
I almost wonder if I should even post a reply, since again, you are a teenager who has it all figured out.... But, alas, I will....

Yes, I'm 25. So what? I could be 20 (just one, wait, 1, year older than you...) and still be posting what I have posted.

Yes, I am an employee. I've never hid that from anyone. It doesn't make ANY difference though. I am a FULL-TIME employee (that means all year) who is salaried with benefits. I am also THE ONLY FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE. We hired some summer help this year. Hmmmm, he's also 19, has had a year of college (he's currently in an LA program), and I know how much he knows about landscaping. Which isn't much.

So I wonder how much YOU really know. You may know more than him, but you certainly don't know much more. You certainly haven't proved that you realize that there is science involved with this line of work. You really haven't seemed to care.

Myself included, the company I work for has 14 years of college education, and well over 30 years of field experience. And that is just for the 3 of us that are full time (I work for a husband and wife). We are small fish compared to some in our state, but I highly doubt that there are many companies out there in any market that are the same size as us with the same level of education and experience.

Yes, I am an employee. But on most levels, I'm an equal, many times running the show. I've worked for 4 different companies now since I was your age, in three different markets (in case you are wondering, 2 of them were while I was in college, the other two were full time jobs since I left Purdue). I've seen a lot and done a lot. Some of which YOU can only dream of. There is very little that I haven't seen or done. I'll be the first to tell you if I don't know something. I consider that a STRENGTH, not a weakness. It is because of how much I have seen and done that I post so much. It's kinda funny that people have sought me out to ask my opinion on something or to ask me how they should go about doing something else.

As I said before, I have run the big jobs. At times, I was in charge of 2-3 crews on ONE site. Looking back, yes, I guess I enjoyed it. But, like I said, I'd rather run a $5k job as opposed to a $100k job. That's just a matter of opinion, no need to attack me like I stated it as a fact...

As for the "organization" system, that was MY idea. Trust me, it is MUCH more efficient to drop the tailgate and grab what you need, as opposed to spending 10 minutes unloading the whole bed looking for one tool. That truck is a dual purpose truck, it goes to both installs and maintenance accounts. It NEEDS to be organized; if that means taking up 2/3's of the bed to organize the long handled tools, so be it. It works for us. 'Nuff said.

And finally, I never said we should be immune to competition. In fact, I welcome competition if the competition is here to stay and gives a sh*t about what they are doing. The whole point of the thread I linked was about the many "companies" in our county who obviously don't care about what they do, and don't care to better themselves. From what I've seen you are starting to fall into that category.

And don't worry, I'll keep my bosses happy. It'll pay dividends down the road............. Ones you won't be around to see.:rolleyes:

Dan

TurfTimeTim
06-27-2004, 11:56 AM
stxkyboy didn't pop-off or make any bold statements until you guys attacked him. He knows he young and he's learning a great trade. Who cares where he takes it and how much profit he will make on this job. I think it's damn refreshing to hear a Doctor's son is not afraid to pick up a shovel and do some real work. Most kids (let alone wealthy kids) wouldn't dream of putting out the effort it takes to pull off a job this size. You guys can throw all kinds of advice at him about insurance,taxes,and other legalities but I for one appreciate the simple fact that he isn't afraid to get dirty. Verbally attack a nineteen year old and expect an immuture response but for God's sakes commend him for having some balls.

stxkyboy
06-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Thank you..................................................

stxkyboy
06-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Dfelix I take offense that you act like since im nineteen there is automaticly some huge differance in our abilities. Also you have the complex common to most employees, myself included. You think that because you work as hard or perhaps even harder you are the equal of your employer. The fact remains that the employer takes the risks and therefor reaps the gains(you make dividendsfor him). UNTIL YOU TAKE THE RISK YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO CRITISIZE THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE WHO GO OUT ON THEIR OWN. I dont care wether they are a 15 yr old kid doing a summer job, a laid off 35 yr old, or a retired 55 yr old. :blob2: Flix your an employee and if anything goes wrong all you have to do is walk away, infact I would say you have less long term responsibility to your bosses customers than I do.

BareFootLawn
06-27-2004, 09:15 PM
stxkyboy,
Wear some steel toed shoes before some bonehead drops a bucket on them feet!
Accidents happen... that's why they're called accidents.
Good luck and keep up the hard work.

Above & Beyond Landscape
07-12-2004, 10:50 PM
QUOTE:
Would have to disagree , the business end is the hardest part , I know a lot of great tradesmen that are lousy businessmen. They sell them selves short. First you are working for your dads partner , you didnt land the job , you were given the job. At $ 25.00 per hour all you are doing is making wages, no more.
based on a 40 hour week , thats only $ 1000.00 . Now if you are using equipment , you will be making less because it will be quicker .

25.00 per MAN hour is pretty good if you are running a 5 man crew, but if its just you and your friend than it is not a good profit at all.

Above & Beyond Landscape
07-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Quote from kid:

My company name is im a college student studying premed at Xavier University. I just happen to enjoy doing landscaping and am perfectly happy making a couple thousand dollars for a few weeks of work. Im sorry if it sounded like i was buying a bobcat ill just be renting it for a few weeks, which is fun enough for me. The only reason I do landscaping is it is a summer job that i really enjoy and I cant get 50 bucks an hour anywhere else. I didnt mean offense i was just a little pissed off that people dont believe a 19 yr old is capable of doing this type of work. And if any of you guys still want to give me grief about the fact that im not making as much as you...talk to me in fifteen years

Above & Beyond Landscape
07-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Im also a Kid i guess in years, but i am in discust of the message from him, Who cares that you are going to Xavier, Its not that BIG of a deal, with an attitude like that you will get no where in life. You might get somewhere with money, but no one likes being around someone like you. You are the type of person that people act like they like in front of them, but once they walk out the door it is nothing but bad comments.

If you dont get your head on straight, it will be to late.

This whole thread has just made my day a sad day to say the least.

stxkyboy
07-12-2004, 11:15 PM
I run a 4 man crew and im sorry u take offense that i posted where i go to school

stxkyboy
07-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Man i cant believe now you guys are giving me crap because im in school.

BareFootLawn
07-12-2004, 11:39 PM
No... I don't think they are giving you crap because you are going to school. Xavier is actually a good BB school. I've enjoyed watching them in the NCAA Basketball Tourney.
No... I think they are giving you crap about something else. I wonder what that is... it starts with an "A" and ends with an "E".
TTITUD are the letters in between.
I hope I spelled it right. I'm only an uneducated grounds maintenance guy.

I du et cuz I kant dew nuttin elce. I wantid tew bee a doktar, butt kuldant git intew daktor skewl.

Scag48
07-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Hey buddy, I don't think it's where you go to school, I think it's your attitude toward everyone who speculates your original idea. Did you not realize that by posting your figures on here you were going to get some sort of retort from that? Some of these people are trying to help you and you're trying to be a smartass like you've been in the biz for years. Maybe you should listen to what people are saying and stop shooting your mouth off. The whole 90% figure is crap, that makes everyone really wonder where you're coming from. If you want my personal opinion, I think you're quite nuts for jumping in on a job that size without experience. I support the fact that you're willing to work, but you're being much to cocky about it. My .02

meangene
07-13-2004, 12:46 AM
This has probably been the funniest thread I've ever read and I want to thank all of you who have attacked the "kid." I bet you guys are the ones who own the biggest trucks with the biggest engines and haul the biggest lawn-mowers with your big trailer.

Good job stxkyboy, sounds like good work. It's nice that it's more of a hobby for you than an actual j-o-b and while you're having fun on the bobcat, you'll be making good dough. That's fantastic.

Keep attacking him boys, it's great entertainment!

bbhlawn
07-13-2004, 02:35 PM
I've been on this iste alot of the last year and have noticed that the people that get all concerned are the ones who act like they have everything to loose.

The fact is this boys-We cut grass and move dirt! It is not rocket science!

So what the kid has a doctor for a dad. So what he landed a job. He is only 19 so what give him some friendly advice and stop all the complaining. I thought everyone was here to help the other guy instead your all gonna attack him for a big job? If he screws it up it will have to get fixed, but maybe if he gets in trouble he'll come on here looking for advice. Give the guy a break.

bbhlawn
07-13-2004, 02:42 PM
The funny thing is the more I read this is how much stock you guys put in the fact that you know someting the other guy doesn't. So what he's 19, landed a big job and wanted to brag some. I say more power to him. He's a yuppie kid that doesn't mind working and getting dirty. If he fails maybe some of you other guys in Ohio can make some money bailing him out. We are supposed to be improving this trade not bashing kids trying to get started.

The buisness end of it isn't that hard either guys. Anyone can do what we do the only saving grace we have is that we as professionals can conduct ourselves in a professional manner, provide a professional job on time on budget. There are always new guys.....We were all new guys at one point in time....We all had attitude and knew everything!

I'm off my soapbox know...thanks

stxkyboy
07-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Glad we could entertain. Scag where did you find that I dont have experiance? http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50961 You guys crack me up I say im a college student and you guys take that to mean that i think your all stupid:confused: :eek:

Gene $immons
07-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Stxkyboy - I applaud your determination and work ethic. Most kids your age don't last working for me for one week.

Don't mind the countless morons on this site who will question your every move. Most of them have no lives and mow lawns for beer money. Its true.

I like the way everything becomes "your dad helped you get the job" SO WHAT GOOD FOR HIM Like the A-HOLES that are ripping you would not take the same job.

Keep up the hard work.

stxkyboy
07-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Just thought id give you all an update.
A weeinto the project all is going well. Today I placed a 7ftx 10ft stone that will be a sitting area and all the walls and twenty+ steps went up smoothly. Despite all you can say deflix I seem to be holding my own quite well.

odorisio
07-29-2004, 08:02 PM
i hate to beat a dead horse, but since you brought it up.....

this whole thread is just to make you feel better for every time you get in the shower and look down and cry......

you got your pat on the back.. leave the topic alone... and i hope you can sleep better at night.

stxkyboy
07-29-2004, 08:20 PM
HAHAHAHAHA and what about all the other post

Ray & Karen
08-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Congrats Stxkyboy, I applaud you!! I admire a hard worker. Some of the guys I get to work for me can't do anything but hold a bucket down. You have what it takes. Good Luck.

grassyfras
08-01-2004, 06:15 PM
So did you start yet?? I know this is an older thread.

paponte
08-01-2004, 07:19 PM

OK, I think you need to put your ego in a headlock or something. Thats great that you got the job, but how much are you really making? I also would not be boasting that you are running a 4 man crew if you are a full time college student. I have been in business for just a couple of years now, and run more than a 4 man crew. If I were doing a job that costs me $40K in materials, you had better believe that the job would be selling for WELL over $150K.

Your age is great, but I would think you would be WELL under equipped for a job of that magnitude... being an 18yr old college student. ;)

DGI
08-01-2004, 10:39 PM
His command of the English language is also severely lacking for a college student.

randy2625
08-02-2004, 09:49 AM
From what i can see by reading all the post that you guys just seem pissed about the fact that he got a big job when he is 19 something you guys never did or still cant do. Maybe he is only making 25 a hour when he should be making 50 but maybe he is happy with 25 if it pays for all of his stuff then i see no problem with his price.

Mindless
08-02-2004, 11:16 AM
stxkyboy...I'm just happened to stumble on this thread and wanted to ask you a quick question. Aside from age, I too would like to further my education. But I also need to provide for myself and to pay for my education. I'm sure your Premed schedule is demanding while at the same time your busy with landscaping. How are you able to balance enough quality time and effort to devote to both education and work? Are you by chance enrolled in non-resident or internet courses. Thanks.

paponte
08-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by randy2625
From what i can see by reading all the post that you guys just seem pissed about the fact that he got a big job when he is 19 something you guys never did or still cant do. Maybe he is only making 25 a hour when he should be making 50 but maybe he is happy with 25 if it pays for all of his stuff then i see no problem with his price.

$25hr? Get real. Guess people don't know the saying "if your nose don't belong somewhere... don't stick it there". As far as being pissed, he can have the job for $25hr. Running the 4 man crew he is claiming, $100hr WITH a machine on the job is senseless. You might as well just work for free. Oh yeah, and throw on top of that rental fees since he doesn't own a machine.

Let's do some quick math, and I'll try to keep the numbers low

8hr day billed at $100.00hr = $800.00
-4 guys per day at $100.00 each = $400.00
-Machine rental per day = $200.00
-Fuel = $40.00

Grand slam total take home!! $160.00!!

wish I could make that kinda money for a days work!!
;)

stxkyboy
08-02-2004, 05:26 PM
I get paid for time and materials...it just so happens that a bobcat is a material. I only do landscaping during the summer.

Green&Growing
08-02-2004, 06:55 PM
You go man! You obviously did a great job of "selling" and designing this project. You impressed a wealthy doctor with your knowledge. Remember guys this is going in the good doctors front yard.... he's not going to let his partners son plant 200 dogwood s and call it a day.
Even if some of these guys are correct and you are making a few mistakes, they didn't start out knowing everything. With the way you were berated I would get defensive too.
Again congrats, and good luck with college.
(by the way at 19 he's in college still. Once he achieves a BS he may be accepted into a Pre. Med. program. But no guarantees, he could be the competition in 3 years!)

On a side note - I just sold an ATM machine to a guy in Eastern Iowa. His son will graduate from the University of Iowa Medical School this year. Because he is a white male he is already receiving offers. $500k signing bonus, $500k for the purchase of a home, and they will pay off his student loans! Didn't ask what the salary was but on graduation day the kid is a millionaire!
I didn't know doctors got a signing bonus!

LawnMowerBoy48
08-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey stxkyboy could you post some new pictures I would like to see how the job is coming along.

KCON1
08-11-2004, 12:54 AM
every body get a grip sure hes young has a long way to go and everybody was once. as for his job. Good luck . You might need it . Hopefully not though. But I have some experience here it may seem these guys are ragging you but its all from experience. I know it's exciting having your first big job , but without proper planning it can be your first big disaster. You might be thinking whatever you guys are dumb I know what i'm doing, but it only takes one mistake or one accident, and it's all over some ways worse than others , so think about it . That said good luck and just chill out.

stxkyboy
08-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Its not my first big job and ill be done next week so ill get pics up

KCON1
08-12-2004, 08:15 PM
get a grip dude you have to much ego just lighten I've been at this ten years or so on my own and it's realy a rather small job if you need to know the truth . It doesn't take a whole lot to add up to 25 grand in materials. so do it send pics and just lighten up.

Everythings gonna be okay!

you hope

kandklandscape
08-12-2004, 09:32 PM
im not one to brag....

but i was 16 when i started my lawn biz....

when i was 18 i had a call from a shopping mall to mow, and mulch took approx 3 days to mow. out of this job, they decided to tear this mall down, put up a super walmart and 10 diff other chain stores in place of the mall...

i got a 200k contract out of super walmart. also in the works is chilijs which is around a 125k job. not trying to bragg..

super walmart has been our buiggest job, everything is going smoothly...

so far :)

PMLAWN
08-14-2004, 08:50 AM
I approve of a kid working hard- even more so when they are a rich kid.
The problem I see is that when this is all done and the good Dr. has all his (I want that too) friends over and he starts braging about his new landscape, part of his story will be how financially wise he was and how little he payed to get the work done. Friends go home and Sat. morn they are on the phone with local landscape man and they want one too. In their mind they will be paying the same as the good Dr. for work and the level of pay will go down another notch. They WILL find a guy to do it at their new price point and we all will suffer. Well all but the "new" Dr. who will be counting his money and looking for someone to mow his 3 arce lot for $20.
Please understand that there are people on here that do this for a living and have to feed a family. The things you do as a game will affect the industry and when you are gone we still will be working in it.

kandklandscape
08-14-2004, 04:56 PM
PMLAWN I was not trying to brag by my remark?
Please do not take it the wrong way.

I do not know if you were refraining to me or not. Sorry if you felt I was bragging. I was just saying that is all.

kbenvironmental
08-14-2004, 07:59 PM
k&k I don't believe he was referring to you.
I respect anyone young that has a good work ethic and is honest. We all know the law of supply and demand and all things being equal, the market balances itself to allow for decent profit. Along comes somebody that doesn't need a "normal" profit (doesn't actually support themself or a legit company) and low-balls the industry average. It's like somebody offering to work for less than minimum wage.

I can't compete with people that don't have the overhead legally required and don't work within the law. Even though these people may be honest and do a good job, they damage the industry.

Do I respect stxboy's work? From what he has shown...yes
I applaud his ambition, if only as a learning tool he can apply later in life (eg good work ethics, project mgt...)
Stxboy's choice of words in his 2nd post were unnecessary and set the tone for this rambling topic. If I were his mentor I would advise him to ignore inflammatory remarks and respond only to constructive criticism with respect. Each of us brings a varied skill set to the forum that we ALL can learn from and learning this industry is a process he has just begun. (yes I am aware of what you do and who you work for)Of course it is not rocket science. Only rocket science is rocket science. However, what we do, can and does involve engineering, science, a certain amount of soft skills.... and none of us knows it all.

ALLWAYS CYA
If you think it is not necessary, just ask your dad how much CYAing costs him annually in premiums. ;)

Rex Mann
08-14-2004, 08:44 PM
"I can't compete with people that don't have the overhead legally required and don't work within the law..."

Thats good advice. Maybe you should take it.

Peace,

Rex

ARIZONAPAVERS.COM (http://ARIZONAPAVERS.COM)

Gilla Gorilla
08-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Rex

Im just curious, who are you directing that comment towards on this thread?

Not trying to start stuff, just curious

stxkyboy
08-14-2004, 09:52 PM
yeah that was confusing

BareFootLawn
08-15-2004, 10:09 PM
It's amazing how much life this flaming troll of a thread has gotten.
stxkyboy - have a nice life. I doubt I ever see you competing with me in the future.

stxkyboy
08-16-2004, 01:10 AM
yea but when your in to get your heart checked after taking care of my landscaping i wont need to compete with you will i:p

BareFootLawn
08-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Once again... I rest my case.
FLAMER!
I'm through with this post. If anyone wants to talk landscaping (and they're over 21 with their own business) please start another thread regarding a subject that's relevant.
Stxkyboy, after re-reading this post to see where it went wrong, I really doubt you make it through med school. You're about as mature as a 12 year old.

stxkyboy
08-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Listen dude you need to get a life.....im doing ok for myself there is no reason for you guys with "established" bizs to attack me. Dont worry about me.

kootoomootoo
09-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Do we ever get to see pics of this were not worthy job or not?
Shoot over pics of the new bobcat too.

stxkyboy
09-26-2004, 11:37 PM
ill get them up im at school now so im kinda busy

Soupy
09-27-2004, 01:43 AM
I was kinda hoping you would post dflix. I always found it amusing that the guy who seems to respond to every post is actually just someone else employee. In fact ive been wondering about your credibility ever since I saw ur, well i mean ur bosses "organization system" http://lawnsite.com/attach/42/21275.jpg What landscaper would use something that takes up an entire truck bed to hold some shovels. Ive worked for one of the top landscape architects in the Greater Cincinnati area and we did plenty of huge jobs...but unlike you i never acted like I was running the show by posting about it. Im doing this job because I enjoy it. I enjoy doing a big job because I get to manage all the different aspects of it from start to finish....something your boss does. As for screwing things up dont worry about that the job i did last year I got it because some "professional" screwed it up the first time. I always make sure my work is to the highest quality as im sure your boss does too.

I stopped reading this thread at this point. stxkyboy, You don't have a business, you are being hired by your neighbors to perform labor. These are your daddy's friends projects, not yours. Looks like they go and hire someone to design the project and instead of paying the professional a wage he deserves. They hire you for $25/hr. You are nothing less then an employee.

Soupy
09-27-2004, 01:49 AM
Dfelix I take offense that you act like since im nineteen there is automaticly some huge differance in our abilities. Also you have the complex common to most employees, myself included. You think that because you work as hard or perhaps even harder you are the equal of your employer. The fact remains that the employer takes the risks and therefor reaps the gains(you make dividendsfor him). UNTIL YOU TAKE THE RISK YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO CRITISIZE THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE WHO GO OUT ON THEIR OWN. I dont care wether they are a 15 yr old kid doing a summer job, a laid off 35 yr old, or a retired 55 yr old. :blob2: Flix your an employee and if anything goes wrong all you have to do is walk away, infact I would say you have less long term responsibility to your bosses customers than I do.

I don't see were you are taking a risk. Your dad's friend is taking the risk.

Coffeecraver
09-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Well I guess i'll add my two cents

This forum has been a place to get advise,and give it to people who need it.

The people who monitor this site,like myself are trying to help.

It would seem that you have used this site for bragging instead of sharing.

You have not asked anyone for help with your project,and seem to take offense to those trying to help you.

This offends the people who work hard at this business every day.

I wonder how your father will feel when he discovers his son found happiness
and fulfillment completing large landscape projects.You may find out you are
a landscaper not cut out to be a Dr.

Good luck with your future,and be careful who you step on.
These people can help you if you get into a bind.

pjslawncare/landscap
09-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Stxyboy I think your doing a good job and thanks for posting your job on this web site. That is one reason I come to this site, to share our common interests with others in this business. I really dont know why others are bashing you for sharing this job with us. They have their reasons (whether rite or wrong), but as long as its not a fish story, I give you the credit you deserve. Too many 19 year olds sit at home sponging off mommy & daddy or are out getting in trouble and I feel society should commend those who are doing good. No matter what others may say, wont change the fact that your hard work is directly helping you and easing lifes long road for you and yours only.