PDA

View Full Version : BIG ROCK walls?? Need help?

bottlefed89
06-17-2004, 02:28 AM
Hey, I've been working on a bid for a customer that I would like to get to him this weekend. The job is building a 2 tiered(sp?) wall, I was going to be using some type of allen block, but now he decided he wants some BIG rocks. I've never used anything as big as he wants, he compares it to another house close by, I'll try to get some pics of it up. Any way, the rocks are very natural looking, but must be made as they all stack so well. They are probably 30" long and about 12" tall. They job would be to tear out 2 existing walls made of RR ties, and replace with this rock. The walls are about 50' x 3-4', and 40'x3', I think I have a place to take all the old ties, but I don't really know how to price removal, as I've never removed more than 5-10 at a time. If I end up with this job it may be the one that drives me to buying a skid steer, as I have needed it alot and would pretty much require it here. Anyway back to the wall, can someone who has done one similar give me some tips on base prep and any other suggestions?? I love this type of work and always end up with onlookers and new clients when I am doing one, but this is new for me, give me some advice. Actually, if this thread works, a picture of the style wall can be seen behind my bike HERE (http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59335&perpage=40&pagenumber=2)
This looks like the same style, but the rocks are about half size of these. Thanks for any help.

D Felix
06-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Those look like they are limestone, just saw them at a stone supplier on Monday. Don't know what they are called for sure, but for sure it's limestone.

The one thing about limestone that you have to remember, is it's VERY heavy. At a minimum, you will want a machine to move the stuff around, especially if it's on pallets.

If you can find one, you might consider a mini-excavator with a thumb attachment to place those rocks. It would also make it easier to tear out the existing walls and to dig out a base for the new walls. If you can find one, a hydraulic thumb works best, and is a little safer. I've got a Bobcat 331 sitting in my driveway right now, and it's got a fixed thumb. It's been driving me nuts, but I've slowly gotten used to it. A hydraulic would be much better!

Keep your courses level. That requires sorting through the pile of rocks and finding pieces that are approximately the same hieght. Make sure you have good battter to the wall. Compact the soil in your base trench, then add your gravel and compact it. The stuf is HEAVY, move it as few times as possible. Get a masons hammer to shape the stones with. Consider a saw to help persaude the pieces to fit together better. Any cut edges that might show, use the masons hammer to put a "natural" face on them.

Good luck with the bid.

Dan

Ice_Gargoylle
06-18-2004, 07:37 PM
you can get stone you are talking about from a suppllier to size, you just have to ask. the stone comes out of the quarry in slabs, just have to tell them how BIG you want it.

i didnt look at pics, had to login or somtin, but besides limestone which is kindof white and jaggy, there are other more weathered stones you can get, but they get very expensive.

i suggestion, talk to suppliers and see what you CAn get, take samples, then buy and build.