PDA

View Full Version : Auto Fill Valve

aquamtic
06-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Wondering what some are using for an auto fill valve for ponds to refill to a certain level due to evaportation

Thanks

Victor
06-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Go to Aquatic Ecosystem's website and you'll be able to see some of the ones they sell. Auto-fill valves can cause problems under certain circumstances. For example, if your pond springs a leak while you're gone. An auto-fill valve with no restraint will turn your pond into a swimming pool (high chlorine content). That means bye, bye fishies. I have mine on a timer, so that it can only add so much water per unit time.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/
Vic

aquamtic
06-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Can you please describe your setup with the timer?

Victor
06-17-2004, 10:28 PM
I went out and bought a sprinkler timer from Lowes. They range in price from $12 to $50. You can use them to turn on your garden hose sprinkler at pre determined times. It just screws on. I sweated a tee onto a water supply line in my basement, sweated a threaded fitting onto that, and adapted the fitting to garden hose thread. I was then able to install my timer onto that. From there I ran pipe through my basement wall and out to the vault that I put my auto-fill device in. That only allows it to fill the pond at certain times of the day. I currently have my timer to allow topping off between noon and 12:15PM. It's been a LONG time since it's needed to flow any water though. My overflow system sure has been working a lot lately though. A good overflow system is important in a good pond design too.

Vic

aquamtic
06-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Victor , What type of float valve are you using on your setup?

Victor
06-21-2004, 01:41 PM
The float valve for my autofill system came with, and is contained inside the auto fill sump. I might have a pic of it I could post on here.

Vic